Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Disco and electronic music in general (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5305)

Toilet & Bowels 08.22.2006 09:49 PM

i have no idea what sanford and son is, but i'll be contacting childcare services as soon as you get here.

Cantankerous 08.22.2006 09:58 PM

it was a tv show in the 70s. they ran a salvage business and had shit everywhere in their house.

Toilet & Bowels 08.22.2006 10:05 PM

oh, we had something like that called steptoe and son

porkmarras 08.23.2006 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Shit shit shit shit.

cock

Bal 08.23.2006 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyasa
LTJ Bukem is pure techno, i think, 90s techno, in the vein of leftfield. Zoviet France, i've only heard a few tracks, but from what i've heard, it sounds promising... Very textured noise layered over glitchy electronic beats.

Ltj Bukem is known as one of the pioniers of the drum and bass scene.
he has nothing to do with techno, unless you are not talking about his techno influences.
he was a true hero from, say '92-'97, his labels good looking and lookin' good have some true classics, but nowdays hes kinda shit and ripping off all his artist..

i wonder that orbital and orbs name have not turned up yet in this thread.
noone mentioned any ninja tune artist if i recall correctly (maybe amon tobin).
any mo wax stuff..
list could go on for hours.

porkmarras 08.23.2006 06:01 AM

We know that the list could go on for hours,we don't need you to tell us that.Geek.

Tokolosh 08.23.2006 10:04 AM

Word!

Glice 08.23.2006 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
oh, we had something like that called steptoe and son

Haaaaaraaaahld?

o o o 08.23.2006 05:35 PM

i have a rough trade compilation of electronic music and i seem to remember that they were arguing that Joe Meek's "I Hear A New World" was the first proper electronic song or something... although i suppose a lot of different things can be argued...
anyway, the song is really nice - i have not heard the album...

Toilet & Bowels 08.23.2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
i have a rough trade compilation of electronic music and i seem to remember that they were arguing that Joe Meek's "I Hear A New World" was the first proper electronic song or something... although i suppose a lot of different things can be argued...
anyway, the song is really nice - i have not heard the album...

when did that come out?

porkmarras 08.24.2006 03:42 AM

It came out about 4 years ago.The liner notes are written by Rob Young(The Wire) but i don't really remember him arguing that about Joe Meek's 'I hear a new world'.

therealglenstyler 08.24.2006 04:57 AM

does anyone here know Underground Resistance stuff? they did a bunch of 12" in a series called red planet and they are frikkin beautiful.
on the disco side of things I love Kerrier district and a compilation called "the art of Disco", not to mentionthe o-ld school majesty of donna summers I feel love which remains the greatest song evr...apart from "you got the love"

alyasa 08.24.2006 05:00 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot... Isolee's Wearemonster...

porkmarras 08.24.2006 05:00 AM

I havent heard enough Underground Resistance and for that i should be stoned in public if only because they were a massive influence on Alec Empire.

nicfit 08.24.2006 05:14 AM

so,i listened to lady sovereign album and i love it,it's the kind of music i was looking for,thanks for the suggestion porky.eve's scorpion is a nice album indeed (i hate the single with gwen stefani) but it's more "slick" (i'm not sure it is the right word)i'll listen more deeply before saying anything about it, but lately i'm into more raw stuff,i even like peaches' albums,go figure.now i'm searching for some Mu's stuff.

Tokolosh 08.24.2006 05:17 AM

Has anyone mentioned the WARP label?

Plaid
Two Lone swordsmen
Lifestyles of the laptop cafe
The Campfire Headphase... etc

alyasa 08.24.2006 05:24 AM

Ouh, The campfire headphase is stunning... like the aural equivalent of a tapestry or an elaborate quilt... :) It's very soothing to listen to... And I'm listening to this thing they have on the Underground Resistance website, right now... They're streaming audio of a remix of their album, Interstellar Fugitives... The whole album... It's really dark techno, heavy with elements of dub....

therealglenstyler 08.24.2006 08:50 AM

yup that'd be them.
need to check out the campfire headphase but the cover made it look like a retread of music has the right to children so i've avoided till now. sounds like its worth getting over myself for though.
ooh and speaking of warp stuff get anything and everything by chris clark (iv'e said this a few time here but seriously it is deleriously fab)

Toilet & Bowels 08.24.2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
It came out about 4 years ago.The liner notes are written by Rob Young(The Wire) but i don't really remember him arguing that about Joe Meek's 'I hear a new world'.

sorry, i meant when did joe meek do that song?

porkmarras 08.24.2006 09:44 AM