Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best new/most anticipated albums of 2020 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=121233)

Skuj 11.30.2020 05:05 PM

Well, with Gizz, I think every album up to Fishies is fresh and interesting. But this new one seems like they are repeating themselves, for the first time. Rats Nest didn't do much for me either.

Back to folklore.....is The National cool around these parts? Swift cowrote a bunch of these songs with Mr Dessner. There is great songwriting on this record. Lyrically the album is great. I fucking love it, ok? :) (I remember a lot of great reviews for 1989, but I never checked it out.)

Diesel 12.01.2020 12:46 PM

Sometimes I wonder whether I've logged into the wrong place. At least when wor Glice was here you would be prepared for the unabashed praises for the likes of Girls Aloud and Avril Lavigne, but not nuw.

#bringbackglice

The Soup Nazi 12.02.2020 11:31 PM

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard get disqualified by virtue of their name alone. NEXT!

Skuj 12.05.2020 03:56 PM

Dude. You need to listen to Nonagon Infinity. Now.

Edit: I mean, how can you not admire a band that makes a video like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZQP4xG6Txc

Skuj 12.05.2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel
Sometimes I wonder whether I've logged into the wrong place. At least when wor Glice was here you would be prepared for the unabashed praises for the likes of Girls Aloud and Avril Lavigne, but not nuw.

#bringbackglice

It's a shame when we all become so cool that we dismiss things which don't sound just like our beloved Sonic Youth or whatever yer favourite is. But good songwriting is good songwriting. I will defend folklore.

Diesel 12.05.2020 05:48 PM

Defend your major label in-house produced and marketed by execs for the teenage girl market kind of music all you want.

Skuj 12.05.2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Defend your major label in-house produced and marketed by execs for the teenage girl market kind of music all you want. Lel

But I'm a 58 year old Dude. Lel.

Diesel 12.05.2020 06:11 PM

You may as well listen to Justin Bieber while your at it

Skuj 12.05.2020 06:13 PM

No!!

I have my limits.

Look....I bet teenage girls hate folklore.

Diesel 12.05.2020 06:30 PM

I'm not about to find out pal. Apparently Bieber makes music for adults now as well

Skuj 12.05.2020 06:34 PM

Except, unlike Taylor Swift, his new album SUCKS.

a baby in 1980 12.10.2020 12:59 PM

Most anticipated: The Strokes - The New Abnormal

Most appreciated: Eefje De Visser - Bitterzoet

choc e-Claire 12.10.2020 03:54 PM

Hey Skuj, as the biggest Taylor Swift fan on here, you may appreciate that she has another album coming in a few hours - it's called evermore, apparently it's a sister record.

Diesel 12.10.2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a baby in 1980
Most anticipated: The Strokes - The New Abnormal

This was awful, even by their standards

g. 12.11.2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Well, with Gizz, I think every album up to Fishies is fresh and interesting. But this new one seems like they are repeating themselves, for the first time. Rats Nest didn't do much for me either.

Back to folklore.....is The National cool around these parts? Swift cowrote a bunch of these songs with Mr Dessner. There is great songwriting on this record. Lyrically the album is great. I fucking love it, ok? :) (I remember a lot of great reviews for 1989, but I never checked it out.)

Good for you man. You know what? I fucking it too. Lyrically it is superb and so well delivered. Dessner is such a great musician and I am a massive fan of Justin Vernon and Bon Iver who feature. And now Evermore is out which matches up to Folklore.

a baby in 1980 12.12.2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

This was awful, even by their standards

Granted, not great on first listen, but it's a strong grower imo.

Severian 12.12.2020 10:28 AM

Hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that anyone anywhere is blown away by the strokes releasing a very genetically strokes-y sounding album in 2020. It barely sounds like anything at all.
Like the auditory equivalent of that kind of humidity where the air is the same temperature as your skin and it’s not moving.

Diesel 12.12.2020 12:53 PM

I guess it's the anticipation of a return to the early stuff, even though nothing since circa 04' warrants excitement. The best thing I can say about the first two albums is I don't mind them but compared to the new un' are seemingly classic. Fond nostalgic memories aside I found myself playing them during a recent piss-up in mine as I was bouncing around to The Smiths and Joy Division, my partner insisted on less death and the only thing I could think of was Is this it.

Skuj 12.12.2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Hey Skuj, as the biggest Taylor Swift fan on here, you may appreciate that she has another album coming in a few hours - it's called evermore, apparently it's a sister record.

Sweet Jesus!! This is news to me.

Now y'all can bash me twice as hard!! :)

Skuj 12.12.2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.
Good for you man. You know what? I fucking it too. Lyrically it is superb and so well delivered. Dessner is such a great musician and I am a massive fan of Justin Vernon and Bon Iver who feature. And now Evermore is out which matches up to Folklore.

I can't fucking wait to hear this.