Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

Nefeli 08.30.2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
nefeli, tell meeeee please!

but arent you a pony trapped in a boy's body?
its nurofen express, specified for period pains.

i have to get my shit together and practice for the exams; instead i started a new painting yesterday. one has to go with the flow, no?

erm ok here is the thing.
me and my best friend, we are talking about starting our own business.
a barber shop.

i havent discuss it yet with anyone.

its not tons of money, but its money we dont have. probably we ll get it for a bank (...) or our parents.
dunno. its not a bad idea at all. anyway, im participating in the research for now and we ll see.

SYRFox 08.30.2013 03:15 AM

hey there, how are you guys doing?

Trama 08.30.2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
erm ok here is the thing.
me and my best friend, we are talking about starting our own business.
a barber shop.

i havent discuss it yet with anyone.

its not tons of money, but its money we dont have. probably we ll get it for a bank (...) or our parents.
dunno. its not a bad idea at all. anyway, im participating in the research for now and we ll see.

here's my (unasked, somewhat unwarranted) advice:

get customers first. a barber shop shouldn't be too hard to improvise somewhere, you'll get to test your product and perhaps even get some revenues.
then get money from friends and family and only then start thinking about going to bank.

main point is focus on product first, deal with the space, money, banks, licensing, etc. afterwards.

Nefeli 08.30.2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama
here's my (unasked, somewhat unwarranted) advice:

get customers first. a barber shop shouldn't be too hard to improvise somewhere, you'll get to test your product and perhaps even get some revenues.
then get money from friends and family and only then start thinking about going to bank.

main point is focus on product first, deal with the space, money, banks, licensing, etc. afterwards.

thank you, much appreciated and very much agreed.

i wanna avoid banks. worked there, done and hate that.

we are waiting to find out the rent of a space.
unfortunately, the space is almost of equal importance as the idea (product). its common here, a 'new' idea being copied by many. example, yogurt shops..you have one and then others go and open similar spaces near by.
so we have to take the best place available. to be able to dominate if someone else does the same.

at the same time i m thinking about the idea/product a lot.
the risks etc.
i mean, men do need a haircut every month. women may skip a month, but they go for styling and the other shit.
however, men can do those stuff alone..
but perhaps men, want to go to an all men place instead.
somewhere, where they wont feel weird to have a pedicure. etc.
also, i hope the beard fashion never go away! (we ll have grooming etc).
etc
etc

*its unreal talking about all this.

dead_battery 08.30.2013 08:09 AM

thats true.

most men want a place they can walk in, have absolutely no fuss made, then walk out. they dont want any complication and some of them dont even want any conversation. and if you have some pretty girls in there then its even better.

what they want is the absolute minimum of effort and complication, they dont want to be asked over and over again if they want special things done. set the menu of different cuts and treatments beside the mirror so they can scan it when they are sitting down and they can ask you for anything on it if they want to.

i dont think women always understand this - for men its not some social thing or some pampering thing. they just want in and out. of course, pay them a few compliments too.

most men are afraid of trying new styles and are terrified of the idea of some woman messing them up by doing things she thinks are good looking but he thinks are gay looking. there was a beer add on tv here - a man goes into a clothes store with a woman and she gets him this gay looking shirt and says "WOW that looks GREAT on you!" then all the women in the shop turn and say the same thing and as he's walking out random women are winking at him and complimenting him. then he walks into a bar with his mates and they all laugh at him for his stupid shirt.

ive never heard of a barbar shop run by women, but i dont see why not. good luck with it nefeli

EVOLghost 08.30.2013 08:18 AM

I think I'll get a haircut today!

!@#$%! 08.30.2013 08:20 AM

i don't know if the barber shop is a good idea or not because i don't know your market/your partners/licenses etc. but i like the spirit of the thing.

also the nice thing is that it's a cash business. you don't have to wait 30/60/90 days to get paid-- that's very good.

yes barber shops are usually "manly" places and they charge little money but there's plenty of metrosexuals who get their haircuts in "salons" where they pay more (a lot more). there are also high-end places that are gender free and you ca play pool or drink a beer while you wait. also there are "manly" barbershops (i'm told by the movie "barbershop") where people hang out and socialize.

so basically there is no formula, it's a matter of giving the market what it wants and if you can do it for a profit then yes!

(small suggestion here, read "the pumpkin plan" before you get started, talks about going narrow vs. going wide and if you have an original idea it might be helpful to refine. also, seth godin's "purple cow".)

Nefeli 08.30.2013 08:26 AM

thank you.

i think we are on a very thin line to have a sexist conversation..;)
but yeah, i understand men in many aspects
and i think i will be dealing with them very well there.
and frankly thats is an advantage of the idea: men, come in and out, taking up less time than a woman needs in a hair salon. so we can have faster turn-over of our money.

if it happens, its gonna be me and my friend, who is male.
a male for the hair cuts, grooming, dyes etc.
and a female for pedicures etc.
we dont want to give it a homosexual only feel..
my friend is concerned about this, because he is gay and all our friends are and we want all men to come in.

the deco of the place, we both agree. cold and plain, a mixture of butcher shop and factory. always liked butcher shops (minus the smell).

aint doing this to meet hot men!

anyway, thank you for your time.
i should be speak on this again, only when i have smth more solid.
its only in our heads so far..

Nefeli 08.30.2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't know if the barber shop is a good idea or not because i don't know your market/your partners/licenses etc. but i like the spirit of the thing.

also the nice thing is that it's a cash business. you don't have to wait 30/60/90 days to get paid-- that's very good.

yes barber shops are usually "manly" places and they charge little money but there's plenty of metrosexuals who get their haircuts in "salons" where they pay more (a lot more). there are also high-end places that are gender free and you ca play pool or drink a beer while you wait. also there are "manly" barbershops (i'm told by the movie "barbershop") where people hang out and socialize.

so basically there is no formula, it's a matter of giving the market what it wants and if you can do it for a profit then yes!

(small suggestion here, read "the pumpkin plan" before you get started, talks about going narrow vs. going wide and if you have an original idea it might be helpful to refine. also, seth godin's "purple cow".)

i ll read that, thanks.

we cant have the socialize thing.
and i dont want that for now.
its space/time consuming.
there are many cafes nearby anyway.

i want a place, where ALL men, regardless sexual preferences, style, age and economical status, can feel free to come in and out and get what they want regarding their hair. but people, who can appreciate a nice place and nice service.
reasonable prices-good service is the only way to go. in all business.
because of the spot, im afraid we cannot apply to lower economical status people..if it was in the center of the city, we would.
edit- nah fuck it. everyone is in a low economical state anyway. and if they are not, they demand now lower prices in everything.

the good thing, is we have ways to advertise ourselves and we have many friends and wider social circle.

Trama 08.30.2013 08:58 AM

I don't know, I'd steer away from the low-cost approach. Yes the economy is in the shitter, but in our cheap, generic, mass-produced world there's a craving for products/services with character and connection. Go for a niche.

guest 08.30.2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Can't help with the apartment, but if yr in Melbs sometime after next week, I'll certainly buy you a world-class coffee. There's a nice place on Chapel Street we've been looking forward to seeing again.

oooh what is it? I'm sick of paying for overpriced hot milk in this city.

!@#$%! 08.30.2013 09:04 AM

usually you compete on price, convenience, or quality

some examples: walmart (here in the us) competes on price. cheaplest place to buy stuff. not pretty, not excellent, but cheap. same thing with costco, looks like a warehouse, you buy bulk.

for convenience you have something like mcdonalds. mcdonalds is not cheap because you can buy raw meat for less, but you go and it's quick and it's always the same and it's convenient.

quality, i don' know, a fine dining restaurant? you have to wait to get seated, or make a reservation 2 months ahead, costs you a lot, but oh the great chef.

i think given your economy if you could offer decent haircuts for a low price you could compete with others in your area. sorta like a target, which is as cheap as walmart but a little nicer. ha ha, my stupid american examples.

i really have no idea of what people want in your social circle but you know them better. what i meant to say is figure out in what area you want to compete because it's very hard to do it in all 3. like in the project triangle, you usually take 2 (fast/cheap/good), but you beat everyone else in 1.

here, supercuts usually gives you cheep service, it's a franchise, but it blows, yet it's massive.

i agree w/ jico in getting a very very clear niche (e.g. see purple cow)

ha ha i wish i could chat more about this right now but i have to go prep a wall for plaster. 8am here! maybe at lunch.\\ps- thanks for the inspiration. it's contagious.

Nefeli 08.30.2013 09:23 AM

not cheap, reasonable prices.
there arent any only men salon, not at least in the area we are looking.
there is one in the centre, from where my friend got the idea. which was packed.
need to speak with friends who are hairstylists, to get to know whats going on in the market.
many friends is good thing, but not smth to rely on. (as customers, i mean).

sorry: i shit on mc donalds. they are evil.

!@#$%! 08.30.2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

not cheap, reasonable prices.
there arent any only men salon, not at least in the area we are looking.
there is one in the centre, from where my friend got the idea. which was packed.
need to speak with friends who are hairstylists, to get to know whats going on in the market.
many friends is good thing, but not smth to rely on. (as customers, i mean).

sorry: i shit on mc donalds. they are evil.

ha ha ha. i think macdonalds is crap too but as a business they are very successful because it's convenient/consistent. of course you don't want to make a macdonalds, i was just explaining the 3 "vectors" or whatever (price/convenience/quality) that every business competes on.

anyway seems to me the main advantage you have right now is location (lots of traffic, no barber shop). which is good at first, and explains your need to "rush to market". but what i think both jico and i are saying is you need something to differentiate yourself because you can't control location indefinitely. what you want is something that's nowhere else and has a "story" of its own and gets a devoted clientele.

purple cow purple cow purple cow!

anyway i will try not to interfere w/ your creative process.

also, speaking of butcher shops, and creative process i am data-throttled but i enabled images and opened your meat painting and YEAH!!

i loved that.

okay. i flee now.

Rob Instigator 08.30.2013 12:52 PM

speaking of barber shops

part of my birthday was a visit to Doug's barber shop in Houston, and it was great. haircut, beard trim, and shave using a straight razor, old school! I look damn good I gotta say.

$10 for haircut
$10 for beard trim and shave.

CHEAP! awesome place. will be back. I dug their old Popular Mechanics magazines from the 40's! what great cigarette ads!

Rob Instigator 08.30.2013 04:08 PM

Lymphocites rule

Bytor Peltor 08.30.2013 04:47 PM

So happy I'm not going anywhere this weekend......the roads heading North are already bumper to bumper.

Be careful out there!

pony 08.31.2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

but arent you a pony trapped in a boy's body?
its nurofen express, specified for period pains.

i am a lady-pony!
thanks for the advice, i will go and check if we have it here!

Nefeli 08.31.2013 02:16 AM

^excellent!

and !@#$%! do 'interfere'.
i cant talk about this to anyone in real life.
however, i m gonna use this wedding tonight for this. there is gonna people i dont normally hang out -from my uni. so its gonna be bank people, but also some girls who do nails. i talked about it with the bride.

painting- need to spend money for canvases and paints (acrylics). damn.
started a new one and i think i m reaching my limits, in order to start using oil colours.

Trama 08.31.2013 08:38 AM

I suppose turkish barbers must be pretty common in Greece?

The fire shaving, towel waving, the scalp massages, wire plucking... ha, it's quite interesting.

EVOLghost 08.31.2013 10:54 AM

Bytor Peltor 08.31.2013 02:57 PM

Listening to Dead-Air's 20th Anniversary show of, What's This Called while waiting to draft my team in Instigator's fantasy league :p

finfoom 08.31.2013 03:51 PM

Im as bored as a dog with no tail

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.31.2013 11:25 PM

My reign of terror top ranking the SYG Reputation has come to an end. I'll be back though!

Nefeli 09.01.2013 08:37 AM

weird. in real-day life, i m skipping it, its not worth it and nothing is gonna happen, but in my dreams i keep seeing this person.
sillyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

_tunic_ 09.01.2013 08:41 AM

EVOLghost 09.01.2013 09:59 AM

lulz.

'how many police officers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?'
NONE! They just beat the room for being black.

EVOLghost 09.01.2013 01:10 PM

Girl last at last night's music festival. Girl must've been on some strong shit....she's just rolling around in the mud...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=EH6H34e-uRM

h8kurdt 09.01.2013 01:26 PM

*bangs head repeatedly against a very hard, solid wall*

dead_battery 09.01.2013 05:24 PM

"Hurray for a child
That makes it through
If there's any way
Because the answer lies in you
They're laid to rest
Before they've known just what to do
Their souls are lost
Because they could never find

What's this life for?

I see your soul, it's kind of gray
You see my heart, you look away
You see my wrist, I know your pain
I know your purpose on your plane

Don't say a last prayer
Because you could never find

What's this life for?"

-Scott Stapp of Creed

Creed is one of the most misunderstood rock bands of all time. Critics have described them as "taking the tackiest elements of grunge and then pumping it full of steroids and human growth hormones". Well what's wrong with that? What their detractors are missing is the deep existential crises revealed in the songs of Creed. The themes of endless despair, reckoning with God, and emerging triumphant through it all. It's all about the struggles and trials of life and how we are ultimately united on this difficult path. It's about singing with the voice of a superhuman monster - the only voice that can maybe reach the ears of our cruel God. If we can shoot lightning back His way then maybe He will take notice of our suffering. Chillwave music will never accomplish goals of this nature. God does not take Chillwave music seriously but He surely follows Creed for they are the musical choice of so many believers. True believers. The spiritual warriors of this world. There have been theories that bands like "Washed Out" psychically pre-empted the recent tsunami disaster. This was God's punishment. Creed has music videos depicting the survival of mass floods - they see the future and envision the durability of human existence in the face of extinction. We must fight God in order to survive. The human race must unite in order to overcome the challenges He will throw our way. Creed is the soundtrack to our survival - seriously "the end is near" has never been more true. 2012 is our next door neighbor. Are you ready? Are you ready? For what's to come.

"Society blind by color
Why hold down one to raise another
Discrimination now on both sides
Seeds of hate blossom further
The world is heading for mutiny
When all we want is unity
We may rise and fall, but in the end
We meet our fate together"

-Scott Stapp of Creed

!@#$%! 09.01.2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

^excellent!

and !@#$%! do 'interfere'.

I am very very buzzed right now. But okay!

!@#$%! 09.01.2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trama
I suppose turkish barbers must be pretty common in Greece?

The fire shaving, towel waving, the scalp massages, wire plucking... ha, it's quite interesting.

This sounds like an awesome thing.

Though I suspect that if it's popular in Greece it's gotta be called something other than "Turkish"--ha!

floatingslowly 09.01.2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
oooh what is it? I'm sick of paying for overpriced hot milk in this city.

Dukes.

Granted, it's been three years, almost to the day, but I've read they opened a small kiosk downtown, so they must still be doing something right.

Plus, siphons are rad.

Now all I have to worry about is my southern-fried accent stiring up hatred over anything vaguely Oklahoman. Me? I'm from Texas.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.01.2013 11:03 PM

For foreverasskiss.. 2000 was a great year for Sleater-Kinney, let alone in Georgia!

For myself..

Quote:

Drop little boy crumbs you can follow back when you get lost becoming a man..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.02.2013 12:39 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to foreverasskiss again.

EVOLghost 09.06.2013 07:40 AM

Another raise very soon?

dead_battery 09.06.2013 11:24 AM

EVOLghost 09.06.2013 04:40 PM

Should I? Or should I not?
I could regret it? But I also could not.
I had a stressful week...but it's over already.....I think.

Bytor Peltor 09.06.2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I think I'll get a haircut today!

I just got mine cut!

EVOLghost 09.06.2013 06:05 PM

MOLGH

(translations are on the page too!)