Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Rob Instigator 05.16.2013 02:13 PM

meth is white people's crack

I have actually seen the media describe it so.

dale_gribble 05.16.2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

watched this last night with my wife. I enjoyed it. It was silly but quite biting and funny. I am a huge Galifianakis fan. he likes to make people I hate uncomfortable I give it a 7/10.

just watched this today and i agree with your rating.

EVOLghost 05.16.2013 10:46 PM

I've seen it around a lot and just remembered to actually watch it. Really enjoyed it. I felt just as crazy as she did while watching this....but that ending....fuck man.

demonrail666 05.17.2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
In that context, I see what ya mean, and in this analogy I'd say with obvious parallels that Taxi Driver was his Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas was Scorcese's Kill Bill and Gangs of New York was Inglorious Bastards, and Shutter Island/The Departed was Django..

God help us when Tarantino decides to make his Kundun

Rob Instigator 05.17.2013 02:47 PM

No one has seen Star Trek the annoyance of khan yet?

evollove 05.18.2013 08:20 AM

RAMPART

Woody Harrelson plays a bad LAPD cop.

At first, it's like, "Who needs this? Haven't we seen cops go bad in movies before?"

But this one kicks the shit out of the others. Visually innovative, emotionally stirring, morally complex. The acting from everyone is stunning.

This was made by a guy named Oren Moverman, who also made The Messenger (another brilliant Harrelson performance). He's a geeeeneeeooos.

This movie was made for suchfreinds.

demonrail666 05.18.2013 10:39 AM

I really liked Rampart, too. I expected it to be a kind of LA Bad Lieutenant but it ended up being its own thing. And totally agree about Woody Harrelson.

Just rewatched

No Country For Old Men

Great film. I know the hype was all about Javier Bardem but Tommy Lee Jones is the stand out for me. He's really come into his own these past few years.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 05.19.2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
RAMPART

Woody Harrelson plays a bad LAPD cop.

At first, it's like, "Who needs this? Haven't we seen cops go bad in movies before?"

But this one kicks the shit out of the others. Visually innovative, emotionally stirring, morally complex. The acting from everyone is stunning.

This was made by a guy named Oren Moverman, who also made The Messenger (another brilliant Harrelson performance). He's a geeeeneeeooos.

This movie was made for suchfreinds.

Fucking shit. I was literally thinking as I was scrolling down and reading your synopsis, "Woody Harrelson, crooked LAPD, kicks the shit out of others, visually innovative and morally complex." This shit is made for me! And then I saw you already said that ;)

sonic sphere 05.20.2013 02:00 PM

demonrail666 05.20.2013 06:43 PM

Once Upon a Time in the West

Rob Instigator 05.23.2013 10:33 AM

Watched this again last night on the HBO.
I think I am the only person who laugehd all the way through it and the first Hangover. I think they are HILARIOUS. I am a huge galifianakis fan, and I love how the movie uses the same skeleton to cerate a whole new adventure.

This is not high art, it is a comedy for adults. I don;t understand the hate for it. When the dentist finds out he fucked a ladyboy...that shit had me rolling on the floor!

I am looking forward to part 3. I like R-rated comedies. the 80's had tons.
I give it a 7/10.

demonrail666 05.23.2013 11:17 AM

I've only seen the first one and was almost surprised by how much I hated it. I've got a bit of a soft spot for stuff like Porky's and American Pie and Road Trip and The Hangover felt like a string of sketches that could've just as easily been in those. Maybe it's the fact they're not high school kids but adults who seem never to have left high school, that really grated on me.

Rob Instigator 05.23.2013 11:22 AM

I just like R-rated jokes. I hate seeing PG-13 comedies that try to both seem "shocking" as well as safe for the kids.

Keeping It Simple 05.23.2013 11:49 AM

Black Hawk Down.

Dr Chocolate 05.23.2013 11:56 AM

picked up GRUMPY OLD MEN & GRUMPIER OLD MEN on blu ray
nothing like old movies with no special effects (well, not really)
must be the 101st time i've seen these movies again

dale_gribble 05.23.2013 02:46 PM

_slavo_ 05.24.2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Watched this again last night on the HBO.
I think I am the only person who laugehd all the way through it and the first Hangover. I think they are HILARIOUS. I am a huge galifianakis fan, and I love how the movie uses the same skeleton to cerate a whole new adventure.

This is not high art, it is a comedy for adults. I don;t understand the hate for it. When the dentist finds out he fucked a ladyboy...that shit had me rolling on the floor!

I am looking forward to part 3. I like R-rated comedies. the 80's had tons.
I give it a 7/10.

Rob, I feel ya. I liked the first one as well a lot. Not so much the second one though.

tw2113 05.24.2013 02:27 AM

First two The Naked Gun movies. Third one tomorrow or this weekend likely.

SonikJesus 05.24.2013 02:32 AM

this shit actually made me feel heavy emotions and shit. Not many films do that to me. I think only Lion Kings done it.

Rob Instigator 05.24.2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Rob, I feel ya. I liked the first one as well a lot. Not so much the second one though.

I dug the second one more on the 2nd viewing, with my vaporizer going at full blast