Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

amerikangod 07.28.2009 02:35 PM

I fucking hate the Clash.

MellySingsDoom 07.28.2009 02:36 PM

The Clash? They leave me cold and bored on record, by and large. Early footage of them is amazing, but their competence and earnestness killed it for me. Gimme the ramshackle Slits or we're-as-cold-as-fuck Banshees.

Rob Instigator 07.28.2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
ramones>talking heads>clash>damned>pistols

this is about right

automatic bzooty 07.28.2009 04:31 PM

stooges > patti smith > clash = ramones > gun club > talking heads > runaways > television > blondie > voidoids > buzzcocks > pistols >>> damned

not going to strictly adhere to that, but it's pretty close for me. i usually don't mix my US and UK punx though... shit gets too complicated

i'm not sure why i dislike the damned so much. i think they are, as they might say, bollocks.

pbradley 07.28.2009 04:37 PM

It's sad that music discussion any place more public than here is more favorable of music I've never liked or that I liked five years ago over anything I find interesting now.

This is most likely a popular opinion amongst all of us, even an opinion a few here might currently hold of this forum.

It still sucks.

demonrail666 07.28.2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
It's sad that music discussion any place more public than here is more favorable of music I've never liked or that I liked five years ago over anything I find interesting now.

what do you find interesting now?

pbradley 07.28.2009 05:14 PM

The Fall, particularly... Wipers, Suicide, Hot Snakes, all bands beloved here but little respect elsewhere I would discuss music online.

atsonicpark 07.28.2009 07:30 PM

Fuck yeah! The Fall! *cums hardest*
Hot Snakes!!!!!!! *cums harder*
Wipers!!!!!!!! *cums hard*
Suicide!!!!!! *I orgasmed, but a puff of dust came out instead of actual semen*

infinitemusic 07.28.2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

stooges > patti smith > clash = ramones > gun club > talking heads > runaways > television > blondie > voidoids > buzzcocks > pistols >>> damned

not going to strictly adhere to that, but it's pretty close for me. i usually don't mix my US and UK punx though... shit gets too complicated

i'm not sure why i dislike the damned so much. i think they are, as they might say, bollocks.

I generally agree, but what about MC5? Their first album was awesome.

SuperCreep 07.28.2009 08:49 PM

That first MC5 album is a joke. Their next two are likable, but nothing that special in my books. The Sonics are far better than MC5 as far as proto-punk goes and the Monks just make them look silly.

Satan 07.28.2009 08:50 PM

i'm quoting here but

the sonics are stupid

automatic bzooty 07.28.2009 09:46 PM

i don't really like kick out the jams all that much. it has it's moments but ... it's severely lacking in something. i'm not entirely sure what.

atsonicpark 07.28.2009 10:36 PM

It's lacking good songs, perhaps?

SuperCreep 07.28.2009 11:18 PM

^that sounds about right.

The only exciting part of the album is the "kick out the jams, motherfucker!" bit, but then disappointment ensues when the realization hits the listener that no jams are being kicked out.

Death & the Maiden 07.28.2009 11:23 PM

I don't like Kick Out the Jams that much. The title track is great, but that's it. I bought it because of its influence on punk, but when I heard it I thought "isn't this something that those early punk bands would oppose?" I mean, 8 minute songs, crappy lead guitar interplay, and all those "brothers and sisters" references? (I know that's not what's said in the title track, but I'm sure that phrase is somewhere on the album).

The Sex Pistols are one of my favourite punk bands. I don't get it when people say that they couldn't play, or they were a manufactured boy band, not really punk, or just an imitation of better American bands. (I know this isn't really an unpopular opinion, I just wrote this because everyone was putting the Pistols at the end of their favourite punk bands lists).

Satan 07.28.2009 11:27 PM

awesome songs from kick out the jams:

motor city is burning (the version on live at the grande ballroom 68 is actually way better)
i want you right now
starship
black to comm (on the dvd)

i love the mc5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMITp...om=PL&index=10

two chords and brilliant

MellySingsDoom 07.29.2009 03:48 PM

Eddie Van Halen is thoroughly over-rated as a guitarist, and Van Halen the band are unmitigated wank.

automatic bzooty 07.29.2009 04:07 PM

^ yes.

Satan 07.29.2009 04:09 PM

hole's version of credit in the straight world >>>>>>>>>> ymg version
the guitar sound is awesome, cl sings it like she means it (with no disrespect to allison statton)...it is greater than the sum of its parts

demonrail666 07.29.2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Eddie Van Halen is thoroughly over-rated as a guitarist, and Van Halen the band are unmitigated wank.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG, MELLY!

the idea is that the opinion being expressed should be unpopular on a sonic youth message board, not a van halen one.