Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Toilet & Bowels 07.23.2009 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Even though I usually side with NWA in terms of influence and originality, I see where you come from stating you're opinion. NWA are one of those groups where people who grew up with them or were impressed by them will be die-hard fans/followers. Where as people who know who they are and can name a couple of songs, usually just ''fuck tha police'' and ''straight outta compton'', will dismiss the group as overrated and irrelevant.

the first time i heard NWA was in 1990 when 100 Miles and Runnin' came out, I thought it was a great song then and I still do now, the other song I really like by them is Straight Outta Compton, I own that album too, I just am not that into any of the other tracks on it. I've been listening to hiphop for 20 years and I'm fully aware of the importance of NWA, but overall their music just doesn't move that much.

demonrail666 07.23.2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i think jazz and blues is the real heart of american music + rock n roll period. i think REAL jazz is the purist form of music, probally ever.

I'm obviously not in any position to say what constitutes the 'heart' of american music but I suspect you're right in suggesting jazz and blues. However, while it's clear that the blues was a massive influence on early RnR. I think jazz is a little more secondary. Rather than having a direct impact on RnR (compared with that of say country or gospel) it was more filtered through its influence on those genres that informed it (in particular blues).

I can't agree with your second point at all though. Besides the fact that I'm not altogether sure what you mean by 'real' jazz, I think that to refer to any kind of jazz as pure would be to ignore the numerous influence that other musical traditions had on it. i think it's hard to consider any music as pure but certainly jazz is one I'd consider as being among the least. Indeed, returning to your original point, jazz may well be the quintessential american music largely because of its very lack of purity.

MellySingsDoom 07.23.2009 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
^^^ I don't think that's an unpopular opinion! Hah.

Wu-Tang is forever, motherfuckers.

The first Wu-Tang album (and the associated solo LPs) are all stone killers. Wu Tang's "Forever" album has some great musical backing, but the raps I felt weren't on the same level of greatness as on "...36 Chambers". And ODB's "Dogshit" really is rather embarrassing - it's like listening to your dad/uncle swear in order to appear shocking.

alex_could 07.23.2009 06:29 AM

jicks are way better than pavement

Shifty Prophet 07.23.2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the first time i heard NWA was in 1990 when 100 Miles and Runnin' came out, I thought it was a great song then and I still do now, the other song I really like by them is Straight Outta Compton, I own that album too, I just am not that into any of the other tracks on it. I've been listening to hiphop for 20 years and I'm fully aware of the importance of NWA, but overall their music just doesn't move that much.

I wasn't asserting that you fell into the category in which I described in my post. I was simply stating what I had observed to be a fairly universal truth.

atsonicpark 07.23.2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_could

Better at curing insomnia? Definitely.

Derek 07.23.2009 09:00 AM

Come are the best early 90s alt rock band.

Rob Instigator 07.23.2009 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex_could

stop huffing glue man.
it's rotting yr brain

Rob Instigator 07.23.2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Come are the best early 90s alt rock band.

I have two Come LP's that I do not listen to.

if you want them we canset up a trade. make me a sweet Mix CD and I will ship you the Come LP's.

narlus 07.23.2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

if you want them we canset up a trade. make me a sweet Mix CD and I will ship you the Come LP's.

on vinyl, assuming? i'll take you up on the trade if Derek doesn't want to.

Rob Instigator 07.23.2009 09:24 AM

on vinyl like a mofucka

demonrail666 07.23.2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Wow! That sort of surprises me: you not being all that into them I mean. 11:11 is a superb album I think. No absolute reason why you should agree of course, I'd just assume that you liked them quite a lot.

dionysusundone 07.23.2009 01:58 PM

I didn't know there were two Comes

demonrail666 07.23.2009 02:02 PM

not in the same night there aren't. At least not once you hit the wrong side of thirty.

dionysusundone 07.23.2009 03:05 PM

lol

Derek 07.23.2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narlus
on vinyl, assuming? i'll take you up on the trade if Derek doesn't want to.

Go ahead on his offer!

Rob Instigator 07.23.2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Wow! That sort of surprises me: you not being all that into them I mean. 11:11 is a superb album I think. No absolute reason why you should agree of course, I'd just assume that you liked them quite a lot.

I love codeine, but Come just does not please my ears too much. kind of half-assy to me.

I will get the LP names and post them when I get home.

(EDIT)
half-assy is not the right descriptive, more like too subsumed.

Rob Instigator 07.23.2009 06:01 PM

It is the first two LP's

Eleven:Eleven

Don't Ask Don't Tell

atsonicpark 07.23.2009 06:11 PM

I love codeine, too. In fact, right now, I REALLY love it...

infinitemusic 07.24.2009 12:35 AM

I think Hole's first album is one of the best of the 90's. Everything else they put out was absolute shit. And no one ever agrees with me!