Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

Hip Priest 05.07.2007 04:49 AM

Hive beetle disarms bees with their own pheromones

* 10:01 07 May 2007

Even honeybees are vulnerable to hackers. Hives normally run a tight security detail, but the small hive beetle Aethina tumida still slips past the defences. How they do it has been a mystery since they were first discovered infesting hives and killing off bees in the US and Australia in 1998.

Now a study led by Baldwyn Torto of the International Centre of Insect Physiology and Ecology, Nairobi, Kenya, has found that the beetles turn European honeybees' alarm pheromones against them. The beetles are highly sensitive to isopentyl acetate and detect it in the low levels bees produce under moderate stress.

The beetles carry a strain of yeast that produces the same alarm chemical. When levels of the chemical in the hive go up, worker bees become disoriented and yet more beetles arrive for dinner.

Journal reference: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0702813104)

Hip Priest 05.07.2007 04:56 AM

Congratulations. That's lovely.

jico. 05.07.2007 05:01 AM

yep, congrats nef.

jico. 05.07.2007 05:12 AM

ha!

baby i can give you more love than that prick. lole

i never watched prison break more then 10 min. is it any good?

nicfit 05.07.2007 05:14 AM

I always laugh when I read "wentworth".

nicfit 05.07.2007 05:22 AM

It makes me think he's some sort of tourists' site or something.
Like : "I went to the Grand Canyon, long travel, but it was worth it".
Talking about human beings, this sounds a bit sex-related, too.

jico. 05.07.2007 05:26 AM

yeah... those tv series... they are good to watch ocasionally... otherwise they will get fecking boring... except for the geeky crowd...

and bb,
love ,as you certainly now, it's an illusion

jon boy 05.07.2007 05:36 AM

that character has the same name as me. well last name anyway haha. serioulsy.

jon boy 05.07.2007 05:42 AM

watched perfume last night and was pleasantly suprised.

StevOK 05.07.2007 05:55 AM

Listening to Johnny Greenwood at 6 in the morning after listening to Pink Floyd all night is really kind of a let down.

nicfit 05.07.2007 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
watched perfume last night and was pleasantly suprised.

Wah, Is it good mr.Scofield?
Are you a "fan" of the book?

jon boy 05.07.2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Wah, Is it good mr.Scofield?
Are you a "fan" of the book?

i am a fan of the book yes. gave it to someone as a present recently and they enjoyed it a lot.

you spelled my name wrong.

pete doherty was arrested again.

nicfit 05.07.2007 07:43 AM

Quote:

i am a fan of the book yes. gave it to someone as a present recently and they enjoyed it a lot.

Nice, I should give the movie a try, then... I love the book, and reviews of the movie are quite confusing, some say it's really good, some say it sucks.
Quote:

you spelled my name wrong.

whoops.
Quote:

pete doherty was arrested again.

He mispelled your name?

MellySingsDoom 05.07.2007 07:44 AM

Jarvis Cocker smells of Cointreau and Penny Rimbaud's roll-ups.

Dean Buckhorn 05.07.2007 07:47 AM

Richard Edson in a commercial?

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_buzzo
now!

Isn't that original Sonic member Richard Edson in that Travelers Insurance commercial on youtube?

MellySingsDoom 05.07.2007 08:25 AM

Apparently, the woman who wrote "No Logo" likes to race African orphans for fun and profit.

Hip Priest 05.08.2007 06:58 PM

JERUSALEM (AP) -- An Israeli archaeologist has found the tomb of King Herod, the legendary builder of ancient Jerusalem and the Holy Land, Hebrew University said late Monday.

The tomb is at a site called Herodium, a flattened hilltop in the Judean Desert, clearly visible from southern Jerusalem. Herod built a palace on the hill, and researchers discovered his burial site there, the university said.

The university had hoped to keep the find a secret until Tuesday, when it planned a news conference to disclose the find in detail, but the Haaretz newspaper found out about the discovery and published an article on its Web site.

Herod became the ruler of the Holy Land under the Romans around 37 B.C. The wall he built around the Old City of Jerusalem still stands, and he also ordered big construction projects in Caesaria, Jericho, the hilltop fortress of Massada and other sites.

It has long been assumed Herod was buried at Herodium, but decades of excavations had failed to turn up the site. The 1st century historian Josephus Flavius described the tomb and Herod's funeral procession.

Haaretz said the tomb was found by archaeologist Ehud Netzer, a Hebrew University professor who has been working at Herodium since 1972. The paper said the tomb was in a previously unexplored area between the two palaces Herod built on the site.

Herod died in 4 B.C. in Jericho.

Herodium was one of the last strong points held by Jewish rebels fighting against the Romans, and it was conquered and destroyed by Roman troops in A.D. 71, a year after they destroyed the Second Temple in Jerusalem.

jico. 05.09.2007 12:27 AM

excuse for my spam behaviour in the last hours. i'm just an idiot. and i'm pissed off. and i cant finish this work. and. bah!

i'm sorry.

king_buzzo 05.09.2007 01:49 AM

Hello.Again.

YOU SHALL POST.NOW.

pbradley 05.09.2007 09:35 PM

have a bloody nose again.

Fucking meds.