Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9010)

jon boy 04.11.2007 03:50 AM

qvaris was good but sticks and stones was better. well it was the first one i heard so...

something 04.11.2007 04:05 AM

what made you god was it yr ability to walk on water?

something 04.11.2007 04:11 AM

oh yea and yea the greatest band in the world theyre called SONIC YOUTH in case you didnt notice

jon boy 04.11.2007 04:18 AM

sy are definatley not the greatest band in the world.

she is god because she can walk on water and read peoples minds. also a good personal shopper.

something 04.11.2007 04:38 AM

sy are the greatest band in the world they are like miles davis meeting mudhoney while taking acid with kurt cobain whilst sorting coke with keith richards will driving a car for televison who crashes into cursive and mission of burma

jon boy 04.11.2007 04:39 AM

do you read the guardian?

SynthethicalY 04.11.2007 04:41 AM

Can we leave who is the greatest band, because that title is subjective to people's own ideas.

sonicl 04.11.2007 04:51 AM

It's called hyperbole.

I don't think that NNCK are the greatest band in the world, they irritated me hugely when I saw them (the same performance as many of the pro-NNCK posters on here), but I don't think that's the point of this thread.

something 04.11.2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
do you read the guardian?

NO I DONT ...I READ WHAT I WRITE AND I ENJOY IT ALTHOUGH IT IS SOME WHAT NEGATIVE

Toilet & Bowels 04.11.2007 07:59 AM

there's an arguement to be made for sonic youth being the best band in the world but it would be largely based on their past achievements and have little to do with anything they've done for the last 5 years.

anyway, my guess would be that guy reads the nme, not the guardian

pokkeherrie 04.11.2007 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnorsen
there is a longer blurb of the dvd here on adam's site: http://www.adammortimer.com/reel09.htm

Does anyone know who the saxophone guy in the trailer is? I remember that when I first saw NNCK about 3 years ago he played about 2-3 minutes before the start of their set and then left the stage. I haven't seen him play with them ever since and I've wondered a few times about who he was.

Anyway, for the record, I don't believe in a best band in the world.

Iain 04.11.2007 09:03 AM

No, I don't really believe in a best band in the world either but resorting to that sort of brash simplicity has lead to probably the most 'successful' of threads that I have started.

I think the sax guy might be Tamio Shiraishi. I think he's played with nnck before.

pokkeherrie 04.11.2007 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
No, I don't really believe in a best band in the world either but resorting to that sort of brash simplicity has lead to probably the most 'successful' of threads that I have started.

I think the sax guy might be Tamio Shiraishi. I think he's played with nnck before.

I know what you meant, but a few people in this thread seem to fail to understand the figure of speech sonicl pointed out.

thanks for the info on the name; i know i should've just asked you before.

Savage Clone 04.11.2007 09:27 AM

Everything everybody says on here at all times is completely literal and one hundred percent serious. Always.

hat and beard 04.11.2007 01:15 PM

That is indeed Tamio Shiraishi in the video. He played alto sax on Letters from the Earth.

I assumed the 'best band in the world' thing was a reference to the famous Thurston Moore quote: "the greatest band ever in the history of the universe".

In reality they're the third greatest band in the history of the universe, but whateva.

Iain 04.11.2007 02:22 PM

Not directly, no. Fahey made a similar coment about them I think. Truly, I don't have an alltime favourite band let alone a current one really. It's always in flux baby.

Who are the top two greatest bands then?

sonicl 04.11.2007 02:30 PM

Surely The Fall is one of them?

hat and beard 04.11.2007 07:12 PM

Fushitsusha and the Sun Ra orchestra edge out NNCK.
But then again my No Neck obsession is relatively young compared to the other two. They may yet make the top spot.

I don't understand British enough to appreciate The Fall as much as I should, perhaps.

Toilet & Bowels 04.11.2007 08:16 PM

i rate the shadow ring over the fall, maybe.

jon boy 04.12.2007 03:52 AM

i like the sunburned hand of the man just over the nnck. today.