Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

tesla69 12.05.2008 09:13 AM

An Editor on the Comstock Lode by Wells Drury c1936

Danny Himself 12.05.2008 09:15 AM

Volume 4 of this series.. one of my friends is trying to get me into him.

stu666 12.05.2008 09:17 AM

got this today

punkaspoo 12.05.2008 09:22 AM

hell's angels by hst

Alex's Trip 12.05.2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
crime and punishment is soooo good...

i'm reading Demian by Herman Hesse

My AP English class is reading Crime and Punishment, and we read Siddhartha by Hesse earlier.

The other AP teacher is reading Demian. That's funny (in an unfunny way).

afterthefact 12.05.2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself

Volume 4 of this series.. one of my friends is trying to get me into him.

He has some good stuff, I love some of his books and poetry, and I always love the down and out vibe you get from his writings. That being said, his stuff is still very hit or miss.

And his paintings are horrible. Same goes for Henry Miller actually.

gmku 12.05.2008 03:52 PM

Wow, everybody's reading such intellekshual stuff. Doesn't anybody besides me read trash anymore?

I'm about to move on to The Man with the Golden Gun by Ian Fleming, by the way.

afterthefact 12.05.2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Wow, everybody's reading such intellekshual stuff. Doesn't anybody besides me read trash anymore?

I'm about to move on to The Man with the Golden Gun by Ian Fleming, by the way.

Do you ever wonder if sometimes people read these books just so they can say they are reading/have read them? I'm not accusing anybody here of that, but sometimes I wonder :)

gmku 12.05.2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Do you ever wonder if sometimes people read these books just so they can say they are reading/have read them? I'm not accusing anybody here of that, but sometimes I wonder :)

Yes, I used to do that. Especially back in my English major studies days. At the same time, having been through all the "required reading," I have more confidence admitting I mostly enjoy reading junk.

Glice 12.05.2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
got this today

Let me know how this is - I read the bit on the Bhundu Boys the other day and am interested, but was let down by the other Peel-franchise books.

I'm reading Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, which is the most prickish thing a person can do with eyes and the ability to read.

pbradley 12.05.2008 09:36 PM

I finished Chuck Palahniuk's Rant which was a great read. Next is Oryx and Crake but I can't seem to get enthusiastic about it.

Pookie 12.05.2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact

There is certainly a fair amount of book-reading wankery that goes on (here).

I've just started reading Absolute Beginners by Colin MacInnes.

I've had the book for years but was put off reading it because of the memory of the appalling film.

Dead-Air 12.05.2008 09:45 PM

Just started reading The Ilium by Dan Simmons.

pbradley 12.05.2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I'm reading Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, which is the most prickish thing a person can do with eyes and the ability to read.

I've never read Hegel myself but I've read enough pre-Hegelian and post-Hegelian philosophy to not want to bother.

Glice 12.05.2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I've never read Hegel myself but I've read enough pre-Hegelian and post-Hegelian philosophy to not want to bother.

I had the same opinion for a long time, but ultimately, if you're studying philosophy, you have to tackle the monster or you ain't worth shit. And there's no monster larger (I have read tractatus as well).

Glice 12.05.2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

My other answer is: who the fuck are you to think that there's a pre- and post- Hegel? There's no pre- and post-, only sufferance.

Glice 12.05.2008 10:05 PM

And if anyone wants to mention certain analytics they can just fuck a long way off.

pbradley 12.05.2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

My other answer is: who the fuck are you to think that there's a pre- and post- Hegel? There's no pre- and post-, only sufferance.

I was considering Descartes and Kant epistemology as pre and existentialism and Marxism as post.

pbradley 12.05.2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

I had the same opinion for a long time, but ultimately, if you're studying philosophy, you have to tackle the monster or you ain't worth shit. And there's no monster larger (I have read tractatus as well).

Fair enough.

Glice 12.05.2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

I was considering Descartes and Kant epistemology as pre and existentialism and Marxism as post.

Marxism as post? Please don't follow that route. Wittgenstein, yes, but Marx is not an epistemology (too emotional).