Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Kallisti23chaos 08.18.2008 09:50 PM

"Pharmako/Poeia" Plant powers,Poisons,and Herbcraft" by Dale Pendell and
"Danger On peaks" by Gary Snyder

✌➬ 08.18.2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
It had tons of great lines. It was very well written. It got kind of boring, and it didn't need to be as long as it was, but I suppose it was essential to the idea that anything ("pederosis" included) could be made beautiful and artful through language.

Anyway, now I am reading The Bell Jar (this edition):

I have that one as well. One of my favorites.

Everyneurotic 08.18.2008 10:29 PM

after rip it up and start again, which is marvelous but it grates me a little wrong being too critic-esque and with some minor that shouldn't be omissions.

terminal pharmacy 08.18.2008 10:37 PM

gmku 08.19.2008 06:49 AM

From an Amazon reviewer: U.N.C.L.E.'s man in Rumania is found dead, completely drained of blood. Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin discover that THRUSH are using the vampire myth as cover for an operation to smuggle stolen treasure out of Europe.

The U.N.C.L.E. television series went off the rails in its third year, resorting to increasingly desperate self-parody, yet ACE's tie-in books went from strength to strength, possibly because the authors weren't restricted by budgets or network interference. This entry has the same four-act structure and one can almost hear Robert Vaughn and David McCallum saying the lines. Had it been a T.V. episode, it would have shone amongst the dross.
The story is slim but stylish, full of neat touches such as Dracula's descendant turning out to be a good guy, a THRUSH baddie posing as his ancestor and the use of radio-controlled wolves to scare the superstitious locals away from THRUSH's base. Sceptical to a man, Solo plays Scully to Illya's Mulder, the latter clinically cutting a swathe through an ever-deepening mystery. Thankfully we are spared one of those gooey romances between Solo and the scientist's sexy daughter that used to happen on television with tedious regularity.

McDaniel knew what made 'U.N.C.L.E.' tick and seems to have done his vampire homework. There's even a cameo by the legendary horror movie buff Forrest J.Ackerman. Unlike Judith Merill, he had a sense of humour!

█████████ 08.20.2008 06:26 AM

Alex's Trip 08.20.2008 08:02 AM

al shabbray 08.20.2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

that sounds and looks really interesting

Alex's Trip 08.20.2008 08:10 AM

I'm only done with the first act so I can't tell you. It is supposed to be really autobiographical. It wasn't published until after he died.

Alex's Trip 08.23.2008 02:11 AM

I'm reading Beyond Good And Evil.

Does that make me a pretentious ass?

Glice 08.23.2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

I'm reading Beyond Good And Evil.

Does that make me a pretentious ass?

Dear God no. Just one pretentious book doesn't make you a pretentious arse. Go off and say something inflammatory about Proust's limpid scansion being a mirror to Horace's parody of Seneca's Medea in light of the latter section of Finnegans Wake read through a post-beatnik epedemiology - then you'll be a pretentious arse.

ALIEN ANAL 08.23.2008 07:42 AM

just read the Tom Green biography

"Hollywood Causes Cancer"

was an interesting read

Danny Himself 08.23.2008 08:34 AM

Collected interviews of Tom Waits, from mid-Asylum years to present.

ALIEN ANAL 08.23.2008 08:37 AM

what tom waits like
whats he think like?

me. 08.23.2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by █████████

What's this book, looks intresting?.

I'm currently reading Koji Suzuki - The Ring, i'm not a devotee of J-Horror or whatever the genre is?, but the book is alot better than the film(s).

sonic sphere 08.24.2008 08:38 AM

open up & bleed:-iggy pop biography by paul trynka

_slavo_ 08.24.2008 08:50 AM

I just brought this one home. Can't wait to start reading.

al shabbray 08.24.2008 09:14 AM

^^isnt this the one about the gas attacks in the tokyo uderground in the nineties or something, is it?

_slavo_ 08.24.2008 09:37 AM

exactly.

al shabbray 08.24.2008 09:54 AM

always wanted to read that after a friend of mine told me that it is really good. keep me informed bout that! :)