Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

atsonicpark 10.21.2010 03:59 PM

Derek, just played through SMW again last week. Enjoy Tubular!

I said "fuck all the new games" and am now playing through this on my ps2!:

space channel 5: part 2.

AL, I love Parappa the Rapper. I have both of 'em and UmJammer Lammy. Great games, if a bit too short and easy. Still, there really weren't any games like 'em and in a way they've never been topped (though the Space Channel games come close).

...Man, Tetsuya Mizuguchi is probably my favorite person in the history of gaming. He's been involved in Lumines (!!!!!!!!!!!), Rez, Meteos, Every Extended Extra, Space Channel 1/2, Gunpey, which are all AMAZING games and some of my favorite ever... and of course, the upcoming Children of Eden which is flat-out the only current gen game I am interested in, in any way, that isn't a WiiWAre/Live Arcade/PSN game.

Derek 10.21.2010 04:06 PM

Yeah I had to look up some of the special levels on youtube cause I just couldn't figure out what I had to do. There was one level that involved getting a star and jumping through all these enemies which gave me a lot of 1ups thankfully because I would have been fried without that.

atsonicpark 10.21.2010 04:20 PM

Reason # 3208204280285 why Mario World is better than New Super Mario Brothers Wii:You can take Yoshi all over the world with you (except ghost houses and Koopaling Castles -- he's scared of ghosts.. and doors!)! Why the FUCK can you only get Yoshi in, like, 5 levels in NSMBW, and as soon as the level is over, yoshi runs off? Lame.

noisereductions 10.21.2010 04:28 PM

Mario World is hands down my favorite in the series

Derek 10.21.2010 04:30 PM

Top 5:
1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Super Mario 64
4. Super Mario Bros. 2 (the one based in the Indian like land)
5. Super Mario Bros.

shabbray2.0 10.21.2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Mario World is hands down my favorite in the series

we had this a million times, but cant be stretched enough!!!!

SMW and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are the best jump n runs, ever.

and some of the best games of video game history. this is were the crap my f*cking signature comes together, hahaah

noisereductions 10.21.2010 09:11 PM

just beat this fucker. AKA "Manica Mansion Jr." :)

atsonicpark 10.22.2010 02:13 AM

Top 10:
1. Yoshi's Island -- by far, my favorite 2D platformer of all time.
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Paper Mario: THousand Year Door
5. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga
6. New Super Mario BRos. DS
7. Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic
8. Super Mario 64
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Super Paper Mario

As far as Sonic goes, I have always liked Sonic 2 the best. OIL OCEAN.

noisereductions 10.22.2010 07:44 AM

yeah Sonic 2 is by far the best.

shabbray2.0 10.22.2010 07:49 AM

^^sonic 3 & knuckles (both cartridges attached to another) is epic plus the michael jackson soundtrack. holy fuckness!!!

sonic 2 got one of my all time favourite video game tunes, chemical plant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE

noisereductions 10.22.2010 08:08 AM

I thought the MJ sndtrk was the stuff of urban legend. No?

EVOLghost 10.22.2010 08:14 AM

^....yah...I don't think they've ever really confirmed it.

noisereductions 10.22.2010 08:28 AM

According to STI director Roger Hector, Michael Jackson was brought in initially during development to compose music for the game, but no mention of his involvement was included. This was supposedly due to the scandals that arose around Jackson at the time, his involvement was removed from the title, and much reworking had to be done.[12] These claims are dubious, however, and various interviews have made it clear that any involvement Jackson may have had was done without the knowledge of Sega's executives or marketing staff, and no contracts or formal agreements had ever been made.[13] James Hansen, of Sonic Stuff Research Group, retorts that Cirocco (credited as "Scirocco" in Sonic 3) still has possession of presumably a demo version of fabled soundtrack. "I actually have "ALL" of the tracks...," he writes, "from the original humming of Michael calling in the middle of the night leaving messages, to his ideas at Record One with Matt and Bruce. - BUT, I don't think I can let any of that out to the public without permission." [13] In December 2009, Michael Jackson's composer, Brad Buxer, told French magazine Black & White that Jackson was actually involved with some of Sonic 3's compositions, supposedly not being credited because he wasn't happy with how they sounded, due to the lack of optimal sound reproduction on the Genesis. Buxer also claimed that the ending music of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 later became the basis for Jackson's single Stranger in Moscow.[1]

atsonicpark 10.22.2010 10:08 AM

I thought it was confirmed he definitely did the entirety of, like, 4 songs. ACTUALLY, you can youtube it, he reused a few of the melodies on later songs, like that wiki article says ,STRANGER IN MOSCOW is the carnival zone or something.

He had a close relationship with sega: MOONWALKER, Sonic 3, his appearance in Space Channel 5 and Ready 2 Rumble boxing on the Dreamcast.. I know I'm leaving out some, but hey.

noisereductions 10.22.2010 10:19 AM

my understanding is that he DID do like 3 or 4 songs. Then they were removed, and another composer did new songs (some that were built on MJ's melodies or style). Could be wrong, but that's the way I heard the story several times.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.22.2010 01:40 PM

I totally believe the legend. It makes perfect sense.

AC, I'm very glad you mentioned Yoshi's Island. That game is brilliant! Much better than the original, in my opinion. Levels like Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy are just as clever today, as they were in the mid-90's.

I'd say my top 3 Mario platformers are Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario Bros 3. However, I have yet to play either of the Galaxy titles - which look fucking outstanding... but I'm probably just overhyping it.

I'll check out Maken X eventually. I have so many games that I've hardly given a proper play-through. I think I'm gonna chill out on "new" games for a second.

shabbray2.0 10.23.2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I thought the MJ sndtrk was the stuff of urban legend. No?

they confirmed it...here is the link:
http://www.cubed3.com/news/13380

one urban legend less.
here is th interview excerpt for the ones to lazy to open the link:

Black & White: Can you clarify the rumour that Michael had in 1993 composed the music for Sonic 3 video game, for which you have been credited?

Brad Buxer: I've never played the game so I do not know what tracks the developer kept from what Michael and I both worked on, but we did compose music for the game. Michael called me at the time for help on this project, and that's what I did. And if he is not credited for composing the music, it's because he was not happy with the resulting sound coming out of the console. At the time, game consoles did not allow for optimal sound reproduction, and Michael found it frustrating. He did not want to be associated with a product that devalued his music...

Black & White: One of the surprising things in this soundtrack is that you can hear chords featured in Stranger in Moscow, which was supposed to have been composed later.

Brad Buxer: Yes, Michael and I had composed those chords for the game, and it has been used as base for Stranger in Moscow.

here is the stranger in owscow mashup featuring sonics OST and MJs voice over it. btw the level playing in the background is playable in a beta version!!!

EVOLghost 10.23.2010 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
ers are Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario Bros 3. However, I have yet to play either of the Galaxy titles - which look fucking outstanding... but I'm probably just overhyping it.

I've seen some friends play it and honestly I think it looks fun as hell. I just wish I had a wii to play it.

shabbray2.0 10.23.2010 02:46 PM

finally I am playing it.
after 15 minutes of playing I instantly in Love.
true too its roots (snatcher) without being a rip off. I am looking forward to what the story leads too.

atsonicpark 10.23.2010 03:18 PM

Mario Galaxy rules. My girlfriend has it. One of the only Wii games worth a damn imo (with the poor-selling Mad World and No More Heroes being fun too, as well as the Dreamcast-retread Ultimate Shooter Collection and ... uh .. some WiiWare games...). I am not into 3D games at all -- aside from Zelda, which I think is the only game improve by 3D since the original games were in 3D anyway (well.. you know.. top down.. go anywhere.. you weren't constrained to a left-and-right-plain-only; aside from the overhard Adventures of Link, which I somehow own 4 copies of...?!). But MARIO GALAXY is fun. I've played quite a bit of it.

But yeah, Yoshi's Island is the best 2D platformer of all time. It is also the only SNES game that simply will not run on my Dreamcast at all. Even 14 years later, it's still too damn graphically intensive. This is artistry, folks; people who cared about visuals, art, and design. You don't see that in games not called "Ico" nowadays.

shabbray2.0 10.23.2010 03:23 PM

^^ K7 all the way :) but edgier.

I agree got yoshis island on the snes and gba. but I prefer the snes version for get dizzy, the didnt manage to port that swirly effect properly.

contra hard corps doesnt work on the ps2 emulated, but runs on the genesis like a maniac.

aaaargh policenauts!!!!

@asp
check the movies thread for another BR post

atsonicpark 10.23.2010 03:40 PM

Hard Corps runs on my Dreamcast, emulated, PERFECTLY (thank god; I don't think I could live without being able to play Gunstar Heroes, Pulseman, Alien Soldier, Ranger X, Vectorman 2, Dynamite Headdy, Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Streets of Rage 3, Shinobi III, Castlevania Blood Lines, Sonic 2, YsIII, and all the other Genesis classics -- WHAT A FUCKING SYSTEM!) I think the emu is called fame. dcisozone.com has it. I've never had a problem emulating any Genesis games on the DC. None at all. However, SNES games are another story. But mainly the ones later in the life span. Donkey Kong Country 3 and whatnot... many games suffer slowdown. But Yoshi's Island won't run at all, basically. Sad. Luckily, Super Metroid runs perfectly on my DC, and all the RPG's (basically, the best reason to own the system; FF4/6, Chrono, Ogre Battle, Mana, Earthbound, Breath of Fire II, etc)... It and Tetris Attack are the main reasons I'm holding onto my SNES forever.

Policenauts ruled, beat it a few months ago on the PS1.

I played Chaos Field all day earlier

Superfun Capcom game is relatively obscure for a dark-as-hell beautiful game in which you kill tons and tons of things and look damn cool doing it. Felt like Devil May Cry 1 - you know, the good one. Gets a bit repetetive, but then, what game like this doesn't? God of War got boring as hell after about 2 hours, and for some reason, it still sold a hundred billion copies, meanwhile a game that never gets old over the course of 50 hours (Okami) sells about 3,000. Whatever.

I also spent 2 hours yesterday playing one of the best games for the N64, Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Calibre..

This game rules so much. It's up there with Jet Force Gemini and Sin & Punishment as "N64 games that fucking ruled -- why did no one give a shit about them?!"

atsonicpark 10.23.2010 03:52 PM

Here is a bit, I think I'm going to play through Mega Man: The Wily Wars. You have to beat Mega Man 1-3 to be able to play the Genesis-exclusive "The Wily Wars", a set of brand new levels that have never appeared on any other game/compilation/port. So, since I've beaten every Mega Man game ever made (even Mega Man and Bass -- and no, this doesn't count the X games, just the basic, regular ol' Mega Man games) except these... well.. I just beat them! Even though I heard they're nothing but boss battles, which doesn't sound too thrilling at all.

noisereductions 10.23.2010 04:10 PM

I just beat this. It's a cute-em by Hal Labs. You're a little battletank that looks like Kirby. You can shoot in all directions but can only rotate yr cannon clockwise. It's fun and interesting but way too short. Great cutesy graphics though.

shabbray2.0 10.24.2010 01:03 PM

this auction is hilarious:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Snatcher-Excelle...em483cec7 60e

on the other hand is the following auction proof that it isnt impossible:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Snatcher-Sega-CD...em2eb09d1 006

shabbray2.0 10.25.2010 05:31 PM

I recently found out that I got one of the rarest mega cd games ever released:

markos magic football.

the game itself sucks ass, but maybe I can find a collector who will give me a shitload of money for it, hrhrhr

atsonicpark 10.25.2010 10:15 PM

bought rogue galaxy, by level-5. man. dark cloud 2, dragon quest viii, and now this game.. so fucking GREAT. best battle system ever. imagine symphonia and star ocean 3, but more fun. an rpg system where you shoot things. 10/10 game so far.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.25.2010 10:45 PM

Dark Cloud 2 was a pleasant surprise, considering how brain-numbing the original was.

atsonicpark 10.25.2010 11:17 PM

yeah, dark cloud 1 was awful. dark cloud 2 is nothing like it, as you know, and is amazing.

Inhuman 10.25.2010 11:21 PM

Tooooo addicted to Diablo 2 lately

pbradley 10.25.2010 11:50 PM

Fallout 3

atsonicpark 10.26.2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Tooooo addicted to Diablo 2 lately

yes

cows

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/quests/cow.shtml

cows

shabbray2.0 10.26.2010 03:25 AM

anybody know where I can seel this for the best value?

I mean the european version, which is called "marko`s magic football".
this game is shit rare out there, and only hardcore mega cd collectors will be interested. but these will be REALLY interested, hahaha
any recommendations where to sell beneath ebay.
thanks

automatic bzooty 10.26.2010 03:32 AM

pokemon ruby

weyhey

noisereductions 10.26.2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
anybody know where I can seel this for the best value?

I mean the european version, which is called "marko`s magic football".
this game is shit rare out there, and only hardcore mega cd collectors will be interested. but these will be REALLY interested, hahaha
any recommendations where to sell beneath ebay.
thanks

I'd try the buy/sell/trade forum on a dedicated collectors site. Like there's atariage for atari. Ninteoage for ninty (duh). I think the big Sega collector's site is sega-16. Or if you wanna FINALLY FUCKING JOIN RACKETBOY forums, I'll totally back you up there Al. I'm currently ranked #3 trader on there man.

shabbray2.0 10.26.2010 02:49 PM

^^this sounds truly right!!
I should join racketboy, indeed!!!

do you know somebody who is on the hunt for that game?
maybe I am also innit for a trade. but it must be something tht rare. even shadowrun for mega cd wouldnt be enough. but shadowrun for mega cd AND genesis would be a thing I couldnt say no to :)

noisereductions 10.26.2010 03:17 PM

al, I'm not sure == but one thing. Join Racketboy now and gossip a bit. YOu need to be a member for 30 days before can post in the Buy/Sell/Trade.

anyway like I said, I'll back you up on there. I'll also try to put feelers out to see if anyone's after that one.

BTW, is Populous for Game Boy easy to find in yr country? I know it was released in the UK, so maybe some copies are closer to you than me.

shabbray2.0 10.26.2010 04:38 PM

7.95 euros! on ebay.de
havent shipped your package, so I could still put it onto comix zone

noisereductions 10.26.2010 04:55 PM

is 7.95 euros cheap for me in $? Is that cart-only or boxed?

DeadDiscoDildo 10.27.2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
Fallout 3

I've been into oblivion off and on the past few years, thats the same game developer right?