Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Effects (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8597)

scott v 10.25.2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Here's the deluxe version I'm working on. . . the art's come out spectacularly. I'm really getting a better handle on this stuff now. I learn lessons in each build I do and each one gets a little bit nicer than the last.

what are these last 2? the one looks like a ZVex Woolly Mammoth Clone...

nicfit 10.25.2010 01:12 PM

last one is a looper with a feedback loop switch, and yes, that's a woolly mammoth "clone" indeed.
I speak on behalf of SJIND coz I klnow everything ahhhahaha!!

shabbray2.0 10.25.2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
that's my tentaclooper!

damn I LOVE day of the tentacle and stompboxes...
do oyu wanna trade for a handpainted fuzz factor :) hrhrhr

finding nobody 10.25.2010 05:49 PM

I've been reunited with my poly-chorus.. and it's awesome!

scott v 10.26.2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
last one is a looper with a feedback loop switch, and yes, that's a woolly mammoth "clone" indeed.
I speak on behalf of SJIND coz I klnow everything ahhhahaha!!

I recently found the circuit for the woolly mammoth and plan on trying to make one myself at some point based on what i heard about their gnarly low end fuzz... i like how it uses relatively easy to find and cheap transistors (2N3904s) as opposed to expensive germaniums or syphisticated silicones to match according to Hfe or whatnot, kinda ridiculus that ZVex has these things for over $350 but it is a custom/boutique pedal and i respect his designs (i.e. love the fuzz factory i have)...

RanaldoNecro 10.26.2010 09:38 AM

Yeah I suppose that is the great little secret of the pedal industry. Thats why so many people are creating their own designs and undercutting builders.

C'est La Vie.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.26.2010 01:06 PM

Well technically it's a Fuzzy Elephant from Aron Nelson's layouts webpage.

I've seen what's purported to be the Woolly Mammoth on Analog Guru's site. It's slightly different, but the end result is the same.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.20.2010 06:37 PM

Fuzz for sale, PM me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0durYoZpcFc

shabbray2.0 11.20.2010 06:40 PM

looks awesome!

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.21.2010 05:54 PM

Should I maybe post the for sale thing in non-sonic gossip?

nicfit 11.21.2010 05:57 PM

do the blogspot and a proper thread, man!
wooops, I still have to tweak stuff on my tentaclooper...I'm a lazy ass guy with near-to-none free time to go down in the basement and play...

CHOUT 11.22.2010 01:30 PM

I just built a Zvex Wooly Mammoth clone, for about 1/10th the price of an actual one!

CHOUT 11.22.2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshChops
I haven't gotten many new effects recently. I think the most recent, a Keeley modded Boss DS-1. It's koo! I didn't comment since, but I did get the EHX Freeze. It's very cool. I'll record and post some samples with it, but I've been doing acoustic treatment in my room and all my gear is cluttered to the middle of my room.

I'm kinda moving on to signal processing. Just added a couple nice mic pre.'s. An Avalon 737sp and in contrast, but nice compliment got a Universal Audio LA-610 MKII classic tube channel.

Nice setup...I have moved on to focus on recording gear...I just got a rack of Seventh Circle Mic preamps, 4 are Neve clones and 4 are API clones.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.23.2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
I just built a Zvex Wooly Mammoth clone, for about 1/10th the price of an actual one!

It's a nice easy build too.

CHOUT 11.24.2010 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
It's a nice easy build too.

Yep, I'm very impressed with this one...I could never justify paying 350 for pretty much any pedal though...I'll probably be building a batch for friends pretty soon...Also have a SHO clone wow...barely any parts in there...zvex really makes quite a profit.

horrorjames 11.24.2010 08:41 AM

Hi, I've got a question.. I've got a USA made Big Muff only a couple of years old. I like the sound but is it not true bypass? There seems to be reduction in the fullness and quality of sound when it's plugged in even when it's turned off... If it's not really true bypass is it an easy fix? I can solder but am pretty ignorant when it comes to schematics and technical talk. Would my problem be taken care of by running it through the effects loop instead of straight from guitar through muff into amp? I have a fender blues deville and it doesn't really have an effects loop but does have power amp "in" and "out". Sorry if this is a question that's already been covered, I'm an old sonic youth fan but new to these forums. Thanks.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.24.2010 08:45 AM

Take a picture of the insides and I can tell you.

horrorjames 11.24.2010 08:53 AM

Cool, Thank you. I have to leave for a while but I'll take a pic and post it later this morning. Thanks again.

horrorjames 11.28.2010 07:35 AM

Sorry, I haven't posted that pic yet, I've had car problems, job change and visiting sisters over thanksgiving.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.28.2010 09:46 AM

that's cool man