Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40798)

LifeDistortion 10.10.2011 02:26 AM

Yep, "Breaking Bad" season finale was pretty damn wonderful. Love this show, I'm definately getting the series on DVD. I haven't been buying the seasons even though I've watched the show from episode one, but this is a show I can see myself watching over and over.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.10.2011 03:18 AM

LifeDistortion 10.13.2011 03:30 AM

Don't have the DVDs, but on MTV's website you can watch this and a number of their other animated shows from the 90's including the short films of "Liquid Television". Just watched a few episodes of this.

dirty bunny 10.13.2011 12:04 PM

I've started watching Tosh.0. I had heard about this show and it sounded truly awful. But dang it, that guy is funny. And the web redemptions are nice.

EVOLghost 10.13.2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

How is that? I was wondering if I should start reading the Manga.

nicfit 10.13.2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Yep, "Breaking Bad" season finale was pretty damn wonderful. Love this show, I'm definately getting the series on DVD. I haven't been buying the seasons even though I've watched the show from episode one, but this is a show I can see myself watching over and over.

And next season will be the last one! I think it's a wise decision.
Love it from start to finish.
Cranston is an amazing actor.

evollove 10.13.2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
I've started watching Tosh.0. I had heard about this show and it sounded truly awful. But dang it, that guy is funny. And the web redemptions are nice.

Flipping around the stations, a friend said, "Oh cool. Tosh is on."

I was like, "C'mon, there has to be something actually good on." At the time, I hadn't seen one second of the show.

Freind talked me into watching a little.

And dang it, you're right. Dude's got some comedy chops.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.13.2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
How is that? I was wondering if I should start reading the Manga.

Cool characters, ridiculous amounts of 'fan service', a nice sense of humor, and some great zombie killin' fun. I like it so much that I plan on scooping up the DVD's soon.

EVOLghost 10.13.2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Cool characters, ridiculous amounts of 'fan service', a nice sense of humor, and some great zombie killin' fun. I like it so much that I plan on scooping up the DVD's soon.

I see haha, I may look into it a bit more. I'm reading Oyasumi PunPun right by Inio Asano(who's art style is a bit different but still very awesome. He did 'What a Wonderful World' which is my favorite thing he's written so far.)...and I'm almost caught up with it so I'll be needing another to read.

Maybe I'll finish Detroit Metal City...it became a bit boring and repetitive.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.13.2011 04:28 PM

The only manga I've read were the original Drangonball books back as a youngster. I haven't touched the stuff since. Although, seeing as I'm just now getting into anime seriously... I'm sure manga is jut around the corner.

If you need further proof of the awesomeness of Highschool of the Dead - look no further than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtlMjRqfQs

nicfit 10.13.2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

The only manga I've read were the original Drangonball books back as a youngster. I haven't touched the stuff since. Although, seeing as I'm just now getting into anime seriously... I'm sure manga is jut around the corner.

If you need further proof of the awesomeness of Highschool of the Dead - look no further than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtlMjRqfQs

dude even your signature is actually from a manga adaptation :D ;)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.13.2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
dude even your signature is actually from a manga adaptation :D ;)

Well, I'll be damned... no wonder the film has such a comic-esque vibe to it. :o

nicfit 10.13.2011 05:30 PM

There's a lot of good stuff in the mangaworld, I'm sure you'll find many many gems if you dig a bit.

EVOLghost 10.14.2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

LOL! wow. I really couldn't have expected something more absurd.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.14.2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

There's a lot of good stuff in the mangaworld, I'm sure you'll find many many gems if you dig a bit.

Oh, I'm sure. I'm already a comic reader, so manga should be pretty easy for me t get into. Although I've gotta say... is it just me or does every anime series ever have a correlating manga series? Do they ever differentiate from eachother in plotline (especially those, where one isn't an adaptation of the other)?

Hmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
LOL! wow. I really couldn't have expected something more absurd.

Yeah, man, it's great! I can't wait for season 2.

EVOLghost 10.14.2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Although I've gotta say... is it just me or does every anime series ever have a correlating manga series? Do they ever differentiate from eachother in plotline (especially those, where one isn't an adaptation of the other)?

Yes, most TV show's n stuff are based off Manga's. Most of them do not entirely stay true to the mangas(for instance Hellsing and a little of GTO). But animes a lot of times change the plot around a little bit to adjust to the time frame and audience.

batreleaser 10.15.2011 12:38 PM

everything just kind of pales in comparison to "Breaking Bad" for me right now. Still watch lots of comedy. Anyone find "Boardwalk Empire" convoluted and overrated as fuck?

Count Mecha 10.15.2011 10:37 PM

Never watched Bleach, have a friend though who's a big fan of it. I was always a One Piece guy myself.

Yeah, Breaking Bad is still badass. I only saw the first handful of episodes of Boardwalk Empire, but I enjoyed them. It didn't really feel any more convoluted than plenty of other HBO shows.

Count Mecha 10.30.2011 12:04 PM

In the spirit of Halloween, I've been watching those Are You Afraid of the Dark? episodes they've been playing on Teen Nick or whatever that channel is called. Show is still good, but as an adult, all the kid acting and goofy plot lines are painfully obvious, but that's part of the charm. What's not part of the charm is they keep playing all of the worst episodes of that show, it's a shame. But they did play the Zeke the Plumber episode of Salute Your Shorts. Which is actually a little more disturbing than I remembered. A noseless plumber blown up by a gas leak and now wears a plastic mask to hide his horribly scarred face that sucks your worst fears out through a plunger? Damn, you'll never stuff like that on Nickelodeon again.

stu666 10.30.2011 01:04 PM

Frozen Planet

Derek 11.06.2011 06:54 AM

Tales of the Crypt
Random Simpsons boxsets (as always)

And I just finished Freaks & Geeks which was fucking excellent.

stu666 11.11.2011 06:12 PM

No Nirvana

Murmer99 11.20.2011 06:25 PM

twin peaks
first volume of batman the animated series

on dvd

schizophrenicroom 11.25.2011 08:02 PM

watching inception

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.05.2011 06:25 AM

Bleach

Angel

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dr. Eugene Felikson 12.13.2011 04:41 AM

Angel, Angel, Angel, Frasier, Angel, Angel

Count Mecha 12.14.2011 05:46 AM

Malcolm in the Middle. Quite a good show, but I feel depressed after pretty much every episode haha.

nicfit 12.14.2011 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha

Malcolm in the Middle. Quite a good show, but I feel depressed after pretty much every episode haha.

Nowadays that show feels like a Breaking Bad spinoff where Mr White gets a witness protective custody alternative life.

Toilet & Bowels 12.16.2011 05:25 AM

This is England '88, it's the most hardcore program ever (check this is england, and this is england '86 first though)

Murmer99 12.16.2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

this.

Derek 12.16.2011 08:16 PM

Breaking Bad is the best show in the history of television.

EVOLghost 12.20.2011 01:44 PM

^ Always sunny is funny!

and....I haven't watched Breaking Bad...

DeadDiscoDildo 01.09.2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Nowadays that show feels like a Breaking Bad spinoff where Mr White gets a witness protective custody alternative life.

HAHAHAHA

DeadDiscoDildo 01.09.2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
I don't really watch Doctor Who. But everyone once in a while it happens that I see it on and I watch a few minutes of it. I think he's half alright, quite charismatic, seems to work.

Matt Smith is probably my favorite. The episode with van gough is amazing.

LifeDistortion 01.09.2012 07:39 PM

I like the chemistry between Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, its going to be a bit getting used to have Smith still as the Doctor but without his crimson haired companion.

Count Mecha 01.10.2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion

I think I need to rewatch NGE. I saw it when I was oh, 17/18-ish. And I thought it was just ok. Seemed like a show that wasn't very interested in narrative and more in being philosophical in an extremely circular fashion. I might be able to appreciate it more now that I'm a little older.

Just started this last week when my sister told me she just happened to have the whole series collecting dust in the corner of her room. I'm about seven episodes in. Really good so far. At first I thought it would be amazingly grim, though the thought of how employees at a funeral home cope with death in their own family member was really fascinating. It's still pretty grim, but the comedy really lets it up at times. It's kind of weird to see Michael C. Hall portray a gay man, particularly since his partner Keith reminds me so much of Doakes from Dexter. That's an odd match up. Either way, I think it's a pretty fascinating examination of death and nobility and other things. I think the Brenda character is absolutely useless though haha.

I don't think I've ever seen an HBO show I didn't like.

LifeDistortion 01.10.2012 05:17 AM

Six Feet Under is great and I believe their first season in the best season of the series. That's not to say the other seasons aren't enjoyable, cause they are, but its different then the first season.

louder 01.14.2012 05:35 PM

E. Noisefield 01.14.2012 06:08 PM

Then I think I'm going to give Lost another run-through. I have about one hour per night that's not devoted to something else, so I should be pretty much set for the first half of 2012. :)

Count Mecha 01.15.2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E. Noisefield

Then I think I'm going to give Lost another run-through. I have about one hour per night that's not devoted to something else, so I should be pretty much set for the first half of 2012. :)

Without looking, I think that's the season 3 poster. 4 started in july, so it's either 2 or 3, feels like 3.

I keep meaning to watch through Lost again. I haven't cracked the season 6 dvd I got for Christmas back when it came out. Some of my friends didn't really dig the finale. I liked it, but would like to see it again with the whole show fresh, see if it still holds up.

Been watching through Babylon 5 again. Incredible show. Sure the production could be visibly hokey at times, but that could easily be forgiven when you got immersed in the very dynamic plot lines and colorful characters. And it has one of the best and most tragic villains in almost well anything in Londo. Outshines Star Trek in every way. Kirk or Picard, and believe me, I love Picard, but give me Captain John Sheridan any day.