Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Your five favourite hip-hop albums. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28340)

ZEROpumpkins 06.16.2009 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver_Rocket
5 of the best are :

deltron 3030 - del the funkee homosapien

Actually it's by Deltron 3030 (i.e. a self titled album) which is Del, Dan the Automator and Kid Koala (I think, cbf checking)

Sorry to be a know it all but as a hip hop producer (albeit on a much, much smaller scale) I think it's only fair to credit all the people that made the music.

The Earl Of Slander 06.16.2009 04:56 AM

Tough. Illmatic will always be there, because it, along with Madvillainy, is the reason I got into hip-hop in the first place. Madvillainy is a tough one, because it's definitely the most important Doom album for me in terms of opening up my understanding of hip-hop. In fact, I probably like it more than most of my favourite hip-hop albums by other artists. However, as far as Doom's albums go, I love Operation Doomsday even more, and the more I get my head around King Geedorah the more I think it might also be a superior album. I also adore Black Bastards. Doom's definitely my favourite hip-hop musician at the moment, all told, so if I allowed more than one of his onto the list it would probably just be like 60% Doom...

Beyond that, it gets a bit trickier, because the genre's so varied and I haven't really been heavily into it for that long. Liquid Swords is currently my favourite Wu Tang release, so that would go on there. Mainstream cliche or not, I'm a huge fan of The Blueprint, primarily because Kanye on the top his game is a wonder. I'm also currently loving Donuts very much...

Further on from that, the problem becomes that their are so many I love, but roughly equally. The list would probably resemble:
  1. Doom - Madvillainy/Operation Doomsday/King Geedorah, depending on the day.
  2. Nas - Illmatic
  3. GZA - Liquid Swords
  4. Jay-Z - The Blueprint
  5. KMD - Black Bastards
  6. Dilla - Donuts
  7. Beasties - Paul’s Boutique
  8. Whichever Doom I didn’t pick at #1
  9. Ditto
  10. Company Flow – Funcrusher Plus
I don’t know, that list seems totally unsatisfactory somehow. Would need to really sit down and listen to all the favourites properly in a short space of time to work out a real list. Also, I finally ordered Black Star, should be coming in the post today, and seeing how much I love Reflection Eternal and Black On Both Sides, that may well end up on there… Anyway, enough rambling.

noisereductions 06.16.2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Actually it's by Deltron 3030 (i.e. a self titled album) which is Del, Dan the Automator and Kid Koala (I think, cbf checking)

Sorry to be a know it all but as a hip hop producer (albeit on a much, much smaller scale) I think it's only fair to credit all the people that made the music.

right. It's Deltron 3030 - s/t

Silver_Rocket 06.16.2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins

ohh yeah of course i know that, i just mentioned del as it was a self titled album so people might know who it was by, but yeah your right its a 3 man team, there suppose to have the second deltron album like 80% done, cant wait to see how it turns out!

uhler 06.16.2009 01:04 PM

i think i made a top five, so now i will make a top ten.

1. wu-tang clan- enter the wu-tang
2. public enemy- it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
3. nas- illmatic
4. mobb deep- the infamous
5. eric b and rakim- paid in full
6. a tribe called quest- midnight marauders
7. biggie- ready to die
8. the roots- things fall apart
9. souls of mischief- 93 'till infinity
10. hieroglyphics- 3rd eye vision