Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best new/most anticipated albums: 2018 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116384)

Kuhb 03.03.2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
HOLY SHIT THERE’S A NEW BREEDERS ALBUM OUT!!!

Fuck me!

And it’s goddamn GOOD!

Seconded. Absolutely worthy of anything in their catalogue

Severian 03.03.2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuhb
Seconded. Absolutely worthy of anything in their catalogue

Absolutely. I’ve loved every one of their albums (Title TK was actually my favorite album of its year at the time... don’t care if that’s lame), but this is every bit as good and immediate and punchy and spacey and tactile and pummeling as anything else.

Is it fair to say the Breeders have surpassed the Pixies at this point? They have a smaller catalog for sure, but it’s more consistent by miles.

This was a pleasant surprise for a guy who’s never not anticipated a Breeders album for months in advance. I remembered it was coming only when Apple Music reminded me. Thank god.

Kuhb 03.03.2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Is it fair to say the Breeders have surpassed the Pixies at this point? They have a smaller catalog for sure, but it’s more consistent by miles.

I guess if you don't like the Pixies reunion albums, but I think Mountain Battles was probably weaker than any Pixies album.

But that's focusing on the wrong thing. All Nerve is great, and I can tell already there's 3 or 4 of the more off-centre tunes that will end up being my favourites in a few months

Severian 03.03.2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

I guess if you don't like the Pixies reunion albums, but I think Mountain Battles was probably weaker than any Pixies album.

But that's focusing on the wrong thing. All Nerve is great, and I can tell already there's 3 or 4 of the more off-centre tunes that will end up being my favourites in a few months

Yeah I do not like the Pixies reunion albums. Mountain Battles kills them. But yeah, doesn’t matter, new Breeders is great.

noisereductions 03.04.2018 12:55 AM

Love the Breeders. Excited about new album. But dude no. Pixies rule.

Kuhb 03.04.2018 03:56 AM

I acknowledge the majority of my sporadic posts here are Pixies related... but

Come On Pilgrim-Surfer Rosa-Doolittle-Bossanova-Trompe Le Monde-Frank Black ST-Teenager Of The Year

All happened within an 8 year span. Before the guy turned 30. That's not just better than Breeders (who are in my top 5 bands all time)... that's better than Bob Dylan.

noisereductions 03.04.2018 10:12 AM

^this guy gets it.

h8kurdt 03.04.2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

I acknowledge the majority of my sporadic posts here are Pixies related... but

Come On Pilgrim-Surfer Rosa-Doolittle-Bossanova-Trompe Le Monde-Frank Black ST-Teenager Of The Year

All happened within an 8 year span. Before the guy turned 30. That's not just better than Breeders (who are in my top 5 bands all time)... that's better than Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan
Freewheelin Bob Dylan
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Another Side Of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
New Morning

All released before he was 30. I like Frank Black as much as the next man, but c'mon now.

noisereductions 03.04.2018 11:08 AM

but still.... Pixies > Breeders.

Severian 03.04.2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Bob Dylan
Freewheelin Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
New Morning

All released before he was 30. I like Frank Black as much as the next man, but c'mon now.

Yeah, agreed.

Pixies’s track record is solid, but Bossa is half-crap, and Trompe is one-third crap. Dylan did better. Beatles did bette. Kane did better. Fugazi did better. Hell, Sonic Youth did better.

Love the Pixies, but let’s not go fucking crazy here.

Kuhb 03.04.2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Yeah, agreed.

Pixies’s track record is solid, but Bossa is half-crap, and Trompe is one-third crap.

Leaving that to hang like a bad smell

Kuhb 03.04.2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Bob Dylan
Freewheelin Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde On Blonde
John Wesley Harding
Nashville Skyline
New Morning

I dunno, I don't find the debut or anything after Highway 61 anywhere near as compelling as that golden run from Freewheelin' onwards.

I'm not going to say anything outlandish, like they're 'half-crap' or something... but you get what I mean.

In any caae. New Breeders album. It's super super great.

Severian 03.04.2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

Leaving that to hang like a bad smell

Ok, maybe they’re only one-quarter crap each, but Bossa is NOT a perfect album, an it is not a Doolittle or Surfer Rosa-level album. Has some great goddamn songs, but also some terrible ones (“Hangwire” is pure filler nonsense).

Trompe is better as a whole, with fewer definitive songs. But dammit, this is not Dylan-level work. The Breeders’ album average is higher than ththe Pixies’. Five great albums vs. two great albums, two good albums, and two positively dreadful ones.

Math bruh.

(Not count Pixies excellent B-sides or BBC sessions or Purple Tape)

noisereductions 03.04.2018 11:02 PM

I think Surfer Rosa ALONE makes the argument for Pixies.

Kuhb 03.05.2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

(“Hangwire” is pure filler nonsense).

I think we speak an entirely different musical language.

Walking With a Killer is probably my favourite track so far. I love that they re did it with the full band. It reminds me of Iris from Pod. It just feels so inevitable and so right. Love love love it

Severian 03.05.2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Walking With a Killer is probably my favourite track so far. I love that they re did it with the full band. It reminds me of Iris from Pod. It just feels so inevitable and so right. Love love love it

Well we agree about this at least. I had a similar thought about “Iris.”
Also a few moments remind me of “Oh!”

Moshe 03.13.2018 11:36 AM

New JOMF album coming soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=H4MBfoXm4XI

Severian 03.13.2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

WHAT!

Hell the fuck yeah!

Peterpuff 03.14.2018 09:53 AM

I have to agree with you all on this new Breeders album. I am really, really, REALLY liking it.

Kuhb 03.14.2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
I have to agree with you all on this new Breeders album. I am really, really, REALLY liking it.

I'm definitely heading towards adding that extra 'REALLY'