Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ONE album that changed music for you (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4257)

screamingskull 07.29.2006 11:57 AM

maybe 'daydream nation'.............or 'nevermind' by nirvana

more recently 'Blue' by joni mitchell, 'something/anything' by Todd Rundren and definately 'from a basement on the hill' by Elliott Smith.

follow.blind 07.29.2006 12:18 PM

disco > "Let's Twist Again" compilation > Roxette > Beatles (the shortest episode) > brit-pop - Oasis? > Blur > Nirvana > short punk era > a lot of shity "grunge" stuff (Melvins, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam...) > Pixies, Mudhoney > Wipers and Greg Sage > grrl bands > Throwing Muses and Kristin Hersh > big step back: Velvet Underground > Sonic Youth - this was the biggest crossroad leading to many bands and genres > Dinosaur Jr. (Wow!Solos are permitted again!) > John Zorn, Derek Bailey > back to R.E.M. (yeah) > whatever ("indie", pop-music, alternative/experimental, rock'n'roll, jazz, freejazz, improvisation stuff, folk + songwriters...) > ?

h8kurdt 07.30.2006 06:39 AM

DJ SHadow-Endtroducing

Amazing, that has now changed everythig I thoght about dance music

RockerNino 07.30.2006 03:55 PM

Nirvana's Nevermind: the gateway band/album.

choc e-Claire 04.23.2019 07:17 PM

Probably In Utero.

SonicSleuth 04.23.2019 09:56 PM

Fugazi In on the Kill Taker

First CD purchase

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:24 AM

Good (old) thread!!

For me (and many others, I suspect) it was a SERIES of albums that caused us to take left turns. It's very hard to pinpoint just one album that "changed music for you". I'd like to think that music is a lifetime journey of discovery.

But, if you put a gun to my head, and force me to pick the biggest turn/realization, I would have to say......

My discovery of Dylan's Blonde On Blonde when I was 18 years old.

My friends laughed at me when I played it for them. Fuck them!! :)

This album changed my world view of singing, lyrics, composition, and....yes.....popular taste. It blew my world apart. My friends had to (or maybe they never did) catch up. (We are talking 1980 here. Yes, I'm old.)

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Probably In Utero.

Possibly the most overshadowed album ever!! "It's not Nevermind, is it?" In Utero desreves some kind of massive re-release/re-consideration. It's fucking brilliant, and difficult, and...in 2019....criminally overlooked.

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
this was a competition?

blonde on blonde because it didn't suck.

Whoa. I swear I didn't see this before my post a couple above. :)

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:37 AM

Love - Forever Changes might be the album that blew me away the most, but Dylan sent me there. I swear.

choc e-Claire 04.24.2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Possibly the most overshadowed album ever!! "It's not Nevermind, is it?" In Utero desreves some kind of massive re-release/re-consideration. It's fucking brilliant, and difficult, and...in 2019....criminally overlooked.

How many albums can sell five million copies and yet still be called underrated?

Another starting point for my musical taste was probably a compilation album, the Triple J Hottest 100 Vol. 5. Annual music poll on an Australian alternative radio station, which in this case was the listener's favourite songs of 1997. A very fun compilation.

(But ground zero was this.)

Severian 04.24.2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Just got a massive rerelease, or three of them, in 2013. With Albini mix that prompted a ton of hype and praise. Several options, from 1 to 3-CD+DVD.

I wouldn’t say it’s criminally overlooked.
It’s 5x platinum in the U.S. and 15x platinum worldwide, and will probably be certified at way, way more than that next time the RIAA reviews it, what with the reissue, streaming, etc.
It’s about as overlooked as Abbey Road. Sure, people don’t talk about it every day, but it’s 26 years old.

I mean, what more do you want?

Severian 04.24.2019 07:16 AM

Can’t name one album definitively above others, but White Light/White Heat reprogrammed my brain for sure. Been listening to music for a long time, though, so more than one album has changed music for me.

Skuj 04.24.2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Just got a massive rerelease, or three of them, in 2013. With Albini mix that prompted a ton of hype and praise. Several options, from 1 to 3-CD+DVD.

It’s 5x platinum in the U.S. and 15x platinum worldwide, and will probably be certified at way, way more than that next time the RIAA reviews it, what with the reissue, streaming, etc.
It’s about as overlooked as Abbey Road. Sure, people don’t talk about it every day, but it’s 26 years old.

Um....2013 was 6 years ago. :0

Let's face it....In Utero is almost an afterthought when most people talk about Nirvermind.

Kuhb 04.25.2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

That Albini mix rules

Severian 04.25.2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Let's face it....In Utero is almost an afterthought when most people talk about Nirvermind.

WHAT WOULD BE REISSUED?!

My wallet can’t afford for these things to be deluxified every goddamn 5 years.

Be happy with why you have. We waited TWENTY YEARS to hear an Albini version and we got it. The fuck more do you want?

And no, I don’t think In Utero is an afterthought. Most musically minded people acknowledge that it’s Nirvana’s masterpiece.

h8kurdt 04.25.2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

What else can be added to what has already been released? The 13 minute version of Scentless Apprentice was all I need from that last set.

Skuj 04.25.2019 11:19 AM

I'm glad we are acknowledging In Utero in this thread.

I maintain that Nevermind overshadows it monumentally in most people's conversations about Nirvana.

Skuj 04.25.2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

WHAT WOULD BE REISSUED?!

My wallet can’t afford for these things to be deluxified every goddamn 5 years.

Be happy with why you have. We waited TWENTY YEARS to hear an Albini version and we got it. The fuck more do you want?

And no, I don’t think In Utero is an afterthought. Most musically minded people acknowledge that it’s Nirvana’s masterpiece.

Why do you keep misreading me? Where did I say what I "want"?

Toilet & Bowels 04.25.2019 02:15 PM

Records that changed the course of my music life
3 ft high & rising
It takes a nation
Nevermind
Dirty
36 chambers
Music has the right to children
Train Songs
Suicide
On the cam (touch and go sampler cd)
The Hot Rock