Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

GeneticKiss 06.30.2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Hypothesis: One day soon there will be a critical backlash against Radiohead once the "alternative music press vanguard" decide to pit them against some noisy visceral new thing that makes their recent work sound like yawn-worthy product made by "professional" musicians. It will be similar to how people saw Yes, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as cultural dinosaurs and cast them to the side when punk hit. WE CAN ONLY HOPE.

This might also happen with Sonic Youth, to a lesser extent. It's happened a few times before with certain albums (Dirty, NYCG&F, Murray Street - remember that Village Voice review by Amy whatsherface?), but not to the extent that they should just quit while their legacy is un-tarnished.

Dobutful it'll ever happen. Music can only get so raw and noisy before the mainstream won't accept it, and I think we've already been there with punk, grunge, etc.

Far more likely that a raw, honest band will come along and dethrone the current vanguard of "look how fast I can play" emo-thrashers like Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, and Trivium...

demonrail666 06.30.2009 06:28 PM

The great thing about popular music is that there's always a band that will come along to show up those around them.

Sonic Youth are probably too much of an institution now for it to really affect their standing but i can see a lot of the 'scene' oriented bands being wiped away by something pretty soon.

automatic bzooty 06.30.2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Far more likely that a raw, honest band will come along and dethrone the current vanguard of "look how fast I can play" emo-thrashers like Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine, and Trivium...

something should be done about that wank... and soon.

Derek 06.30.2009 06:46 PM

Hardcore punk is shit.

SYRFox 06.30.2009 06:50 PM

I love Mr. Oizo

Shifty Prophet 06.30.2009 10:16 PM

The Band, Flying Burrito Brothers and other groups of the same coin are mediocre at best, but in reality sound like regular country-fried cow turds. I have no idea how ''Music from Big Pink'' is considered such a genius record.

pbradley 06.30.2009 11:18 PM

The opinion that bands should "quit before they tarnish their legacy" is bullshit.

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski 06.30.2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
The Band, Flying Burrito Brothers and other groups of the same coin are mediocre at best, but in reality sound like regular country-fried cow turds. I have no idea how ''Music from Big Pink'' is considered such a genius record.

Flying Burrito Bros made one of my favorite albums of all time. Your opinion is in fact unpopular with me.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.30.2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
The opinion that bands should "quit before they tarnish their legacy" is bullshit.

I basically agree it's bull, but a lot of people subscribe to that way of thinking.

pbradley 07.01.2009 12:09 AM

Yeah, I hope you don't think I was replying directly to your post, though it did bring that opinion back to mind.

It's an unpopular opinion that I've voiced on SYG before.

Rob Instigator 07.01.2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Hardcore punk is shit.

you don;t like bad brains? Minor Threat? the Misfits Earth AD?
Poison Idea?

demonrail666 07.01.2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

I have no idea how ''Music from Big Pink'' is considered such a genius record.

I think it's noted more for its influence than anything else. Although I do really like it.

Shifty Prophet 07.01.2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think it's noted more for its influence than anything else. Although I do really like it.

Great. Its noted for its influence, so basically I have The Band to thank for a bunch of schmaltzy ''americana'' groups that sprang up in the 70's. Fantastic.

joe11121 07.02.2009 01:19 AM

I dont know if this is unpopular, well it might be here. but this is a pretty good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPs7-5feq-M&feature=fvst

PAULYBEE2656 07.02.2009 11:13 AM

the doors are awful.
dark side of the moon is the most overated album in the world ever.

demonrail666 07.02.2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Great. Its noted for its influence, so basically I have The Band to thank for a bunch of schmaltzy ''americana'' groups that sprang up in the 70's. Fantastic.

yep

Rob Instigator 07.02.2009 11:20 AM

dark side of the moon is fucking BORING

Grade A, coma inducing BORING

even on drugs

gualbert 07.02.2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe11121
I dont know if this is unpopular, well it might be here. but this is a pretty good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPs7-5feq-M&feature=fvst

:rolleyes: it's a cool song! who can disagree?

I always thought the singer was a hippy (sort of like Janis Joplin).
She looks like a model for l'oreal instead, I'm disappointed.

Satan 07.02.2009 11:48 AM

show no mercy is the best slayer album

Sonic Youth 37 07.02.2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Hardcore punk is shit.

WTF?