Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

acousticrock87 07.10.2008 12:45 PM

It's not so peculiar that he hasn't read Crusoe. I've been reading since I was 5 and the only reason I'm familiar with it is because my mom read it to me when I was little, and I didn't much like it then. I don't remember ever wanting to read it or anything.

Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues were great, though I wouldn't call 20,000 Leagues a kids book. I hated it when I read it--I think I was 15?--but now I think I would enjoy it.

Rob Instigator 07.10.2008 12:53 PM

crusoe makes more sense when you are older. as a kid it is slow.

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
crusoe makes more sense when you are older. as a kid it is slow.

so do you think he got freaky with friday? or the goats?

Alex's Trip 07.29.2008 02:38 PM

I finished the Poisonwood Bible a few nights ago, and it was really excellent. (I last posted about it on the 9th, for clarification it didn't take me 20 days to read it)

Now I'm reading Heart of Darkness.

terriblecanyons 07.29.2008 02:45 PM

I'm currently reading Norwegian Wood, the Amber Spyglass, the Bell Jar, the Raw Shark Texts, and Tropic of Capricorn all at the same time because I'm high on crack.

Alex's Trip 07.29.2008 02:52 PM

Tell me how the Bell Jar is. I wanted to read it, but I don't want to buy it, and last time I checked, it wasn't at my local library (where the suburban gangsters apparently check their myspace).

terriblecanyons 07.29.2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Tell me how the Bell Jar is. I wanted to read it, but I don't want to buy it, and last time I checked, it wasn't at my local library (where the suburban gangsters apparently check their myspace).

It's my favorite book. It's rather depressing but very thought inducing. If that makes sense. Anyway, if you read it and like it, definitely check out Norwegian Wood. Brilliantly written.

Alex's Trip 07.29.2008 02:59 PM

Will do. Thanks.

Everyneurotic 07.29.2008 06:18 PM

(most hilarious quote yet: "people used to do acid and go to the park and argue with the trees; and sometimes, the trees would win the argument!".)

Glice 07.29.2008 07:13 PM

Badiou, Infinite Thought. Mathematics is ontology, apparently, although I'm yet unclear as to how this isn't a reactionary response to poststructuralism's absencing (in turn a reaction fo Foucault/ Heidegger). It'll all end in Fichte, you mark my words.

Anyway - I like that Lemmy's referenced Merle Haggard, and may pick up that book as a result.

StevOK 07.29.2008 09:37 PM

I'm halfway through The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams. Next in the queue is 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke.

Sonic Youth 37 07.29.2008 09:43 PM

Still on Ulysses I WILL finish it before the summer's over.

acousticrock87 07.29.2008 09:50 PM

Haha. I finished the Oxen in the Sun chapter a couple weeks ago, finally. The play section is going a lot faster, but it's still hard to motivate myself.

Sonic Youth 37 07.29.2008 10:02 PM

I'm 3/4 or so thru Ithaca. The question/response is tedious and I've been unmotivated. I've read maybe 20 pages since May.

candymoan 07.30.2008 02:48 AM

just finished a biography of Fikret Moualla - an avantgarde painter from 1950s..

continuing:
neal stephenson - cryptonomicon
kathy acker - pussy king of pirates

Bertrand 07.30.2008 06:14 AM

Finished Toby Litt's Hospital - satanists, voodoo, cows, a rubber nurse, some yellow mist... after some slow pages, it gained pace and was completely unpredictable... healing wounds and body parts, a tree growing in a boy's belly... a nurse in love with a talented young doctor - the parody of a genre in which features Cherry Ames' Dude Ranch Nurse perhaps? Nuts.

I've started Bret Easton Ellis' Lunar Park

These were the very last books I ever bought at my favorite city bookshop; the librarian had to call it quits, and he was the only one in town who had young authors books and out-of-fashion goodies like Leonid Andreiev on his shelves.

girlgun 07.30.2008 01:23 PM

in the last 3 weeks i've read... shadow of the wind, history of love, lunar park, love in the time of cholera and dandy in the underworld. i'm going to start on one years of solitude tonight. i've loved everything i've read lately (with the exception of lunar park which was iffy). i'd recommend them all.

girlgun 07.30.2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip

i read it when i was 13 and i fucking loved it. it was for a book report and i had to make a diorama. ha.

Savage Clone 07.30.2008 01:27 PM

That's OG Emo.

Glice 07.30.2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Badiou, Infinite Thought. Mathematics is ontology, apparently, although I'm yet unclear as to how this isn't a reactionary response to poststructuralism's absencing (in turn a reaction fo Foucault/ Heidegger). It'll all end in Fichte, you mark my words.

So, it turns out he's siding with the linguistic turn inferring a subordination of philosophy in general, and ontology in particular, against the classic (and 'sick', in his words) notion of Platonic truth/ Cartesian metaphysics.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who's frustrated with the [lay] interpretation of postmodernism as a critical practise will probably enjoy this particular book.