Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Shifty Prophet 06.30.2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
That's not unpopular, it's far-fetched.

Far-fetched that most of the ''pioneers'' in electronic music were somehwat boring? Ok, your entitled to your opinion, I just think far too much credit is given towards their quality of music/sound/compositions, than to their actual influence and importance within the context of future artists.

GeneticKiss 06.30.2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Power chords suck.

Well, if it weren't for power chords, I wouldn't be a musician.

SuperCreep 06.30.2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
neil young is infinately more badass than dylan. plus, he still sounds great in his old(er) age. dylan is a pussy by all comparison.

Definitely. Neil sounds as great now live as he did in 1976 and actually talks to the crowd, whereas Dylan is more of a novelty live act, cowering behind his keyboard and mumbling the entire time. Just a huge fucking prick all around.

Music-wise, I love both, but I'm more sold on Neil these days.

sarramkrop 06.30.2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Far-fetched that most of the ''pioneers'' in electronic music were somehwat boring? Ok, your entitled to your opinion, I just think far too much credit is given towards their quality of music/sound/compositions, than to their actual influence and importance within the context of future artists.

I don't understand you.

uhler 06.30.2009 10:55 AM

i still like 'firestorm" by earth crisis.

uhler 06.30.2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

aggggghhhhh NO! :(

i probably wouldn't put it on or listen to it though.

sarramkrop 06.30.2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

sonic youth should be bigger than the beatles.

this I agree with.

demonrail666 06.30.2009 11:06 AM

the bangles > the runaways

uhler 06.30.2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

ive always wanted to go to one of their shows and light up a cigarette....just to see if i really would get beat up.

you might've at an early exc show, but i doubt so when they got bigger. i remember the singer of throwdown got into a fight at a show because this guy lit one up.

sarramkrop 06.30.2009 11:09 AM

Prince is way better than Michael Jackson.

Satan 06.30.2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Prince is way better than Michael Jackson.

quoted for truth

i still love michael jackson though

sarramkrop 06.30.2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
quoted for truth

i still love michael jackson though

ù

Same here.

Rob Instigator 06.30.2009 11:33 AM

prince is dope.

demonrail666 06.30.2009 11:42 AM

i do prefer prince but got a bit tired of hearing the words 'musical genius' every single time his name was mentioned in the media.

demonrail666 06.30.2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

im sorry...

but fuck prince.

Yeah, I'm slowly moving in this direction I think.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.30.2009 11:56 AM

I am a huge Prince fan, but I can't remember the last time he's done anything worthwhile. Black Sweat.. that's about it.

sarramkrop 06.30.2009 12:20 PM

Statistically women make more interesting, enjoyable music now than ever. Please combine this thread with the other one I started, because females are way more interesting, creative, to the point etc than ever. I am very happy.

PAULYBEE2656 06.30.2009 12:20 PM

prince was great, but yeah his recent work (anything after graffitti bridge) is comparible to muck.....

still he wrote sign o the times, one of the greatest songs ever written by mankind...

SuperCreep 06.30.2009 02:13 PM

Prince is way better than MJ, no comparison necessary in my books.

Unpopular opinion:

Deserter's Songs is far better at being The Soft Bulletin than The Soft Bulletin is, and it was released months earlier. Mercury Rev just doesn't get enough credit in general.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.30.2009 05:45 PM

Hypothesis: One day soon there will be a critical backlash against Radiohead once the "alternative music press vanguard" decide to pit them against some noisy visceral new thing that makes their recent work sound like yawn-worthy product made by "professional" musicians. It will be similar to how people saw Yes, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd as cultural dinosaurs and cast them to the side when punk hit. WE CAN ONLY HOPE.

This might also happen with Sonic Youth, to a lesser extent. It's happened a few times before with certain albums (Dirty, NYCG&F, Murray Street - remember that Village Voice review by Amy whatsherface?), but not to the extent that they should just quit while their legacy is un-tarnished.