Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

automatic bzooty 06.28.2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
any given contortions track is better than anything lydia lunch ever did.

even death valley? ... does that count?

viewtiful_alan 06.28.2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
even death valley? ... does that count?

One song she's featured in doesn't make up for her failure to best the awesome James Chance.
They own No New York, no question.

Satan 06.28.2009 11:29 PM

james chance and the contortions suck.

lydia lunch annoys the shit out of me.

i appreciate what no-wave was about but for the love of jesus LEARN TO PLAY YOUR FUCKING INSTRUMENTS.

that goes for the shaggs too.

GeneticKiss 06.28.2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
13 songs is their only album that i still LOVE
it was one of those albums that changed everything for me.
repeater is great as well. steady diet and red medicine arent as great.

As long as you like In On The Kill Taker, you're OK with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This is by far the best band nu-metal ever spawned (though I dunno if I'd call 'em "numetal" necessarily):

What about Deftones?

viewtiful_alan 06.28.2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
james chance and the contortions suck.

lydia lunch annoys the shit out of me.

i appreciate what no-wave was about but for the love of jesus LEARN TO PLAY YOUR FUCKING INSTRUMENTS.

that goes for the shaggs too.

Apparentnly you dont appreciate it...

automatic bzooty 06.28.2009 11:37 PM

yeah, isn't that one of the... uh... how to put this... fundamentals of no wave? not "knowing" how to play?

Decayed Rhapsody 06.29.2009 12:38 AM

I think saying Lydia Lunch is shit is a POPULAR opinion.

Best thing she weaseled her way into was that bit she did with Roland S Howard, but I haven't listened to it in years. I never understand people who write endless panegyrics about her. I was browsing around once and came across this cute thing: http://fagcity.blogspot.com/2009/03/...dia-lunch.html

And then there's this video where she fails to shut down some douchey chauvinist comedian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXUd7VxuSA

youthoftomorrow 06.29.2009 01:13 AM

Metallica > Sonic Youth

yup.

Satan 06.29.2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

thats a bit rediculous...from what ive gathered, part of the whole idea was to not be able to play...or either to do something completely different with ones playing...tearing r n r apart and starting all over.

oddly enough, james COULD play, and wanted musicians who could play as well...with limited abilty or some shit.

let me clarify again...

what i appreciate was that they did something really different and subversive, tearing shit up and all that...some of the guitaring actually sounds brilliant but i'm generally not a fan of too much no-wave these days
maybe it's just lydia lunch. she's bloody off-putting.

(i still like mars and DNA)

Satan 06.29.2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

the concept was great. i just wish more people would learn something, TAKE SOMETHING, from it besides (seemingly) trying to sound like it.

this.

atsonicpark 06.29.2009 01:39 AM

I think Lydia has said a lot of intelligent stuff. Not a big fan of any of her music besides Teenage Jesus (which was probably the worst no wave band, though).

Satan 06.29.2009 01:41 AM

lydia lunch needs to stop talking about herself.

Satan 06.29.2009 01:44 AM

yeah exactly

just because you can play your instrument properly (i don't know what that means either..."with some degree of technical proficiency") doesn't mean you have to

and if you can't play it at all there's only one thing you can do and that gets old real fast

Satan 06.29.2009 01:50 AM

lydia lunch is the most predictable, boring person on the earth

atsonicpark 06.29.2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan

and if you can't play it at all there's only one thing you can do and that gets old real fast

I won't naMe any naMes, but that's my main criticism about one awful band in particular.

_slavo_ 06.29.2009 02:26 AM

"Marquee Moon" is a lousy album.

atsonicpark 06.29.2009 02:37 AM

I wouldn't call it lousy. But boring? Yeah, definitely.

atsonicpark 06.29.2009 02:38 AM

Ohh, I got a controversial one for you all:

Black Flag mostly sucks. Some good songs here or there and some weird, awesome riffs in a few songs aside.. most of their material blows.

atsonicpark 06.29.2009 02:51 AM

Oh man, Le Tigre are one of the worst bands ever.

Jeremy 06.29.2009 03:07 AM

Quote:

"live through this" is an amazing album, even if kurt may have wrote it. better than anything bikini kill ever did.

and le tigre sucks.

Live Through This is a really great record, though I do think without a shadow of a doubt Kurt wrote that record (Or say 90% of it).

~Jeremy~