Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Post a Picture of Yourself (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=139)

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.10.2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
am not the stereotypical Sonic Board member. and I can think of a few others who aren't either.

<----

davenotdead 12.10.2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
<----

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.10.2007 07:05 PM

i don't get it

Norma J 12.10.2007 07:39 PM

I think he's calling you a tit. Atleast you're a nice lookin' tit. Who is that?

Savage Clone 12.10.2007 07:52 PM

The sooner people realize that Chuck Taylors, flannels, corduroys, worn-out jeans, band Tee shirts and all the rest are also personal fashion choices and therefore just as much a "costume" as fashion choices that appear to take so much more "effort," the better off we'll all be.

flophousefloozie 12.10.2007 08:05 PM

In a way, I'm comparing this arguement to one of many decades ago, when the idea of women wearing pants wasn't accepted because it wasn't feminine.
Same idea, really.

!@#$%! 12.10.2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The sooner people realize that Chuck Taylors, flannels, corduroys, worn-out jeans, band Tee shirts and all the rest are also personal fashion choices and therefore just as much a "costume" as fashion choices that appear to take so much more "effort," the better off we'll all be.

chuck taylors are the most uncomfortable fucking shoe ever, with that thin flat sole, and the banana shape foot. maybe they were the shit in th 50s, but shoe technology has improved a lot since they were invented, and for good reason-- old-school shoes suck. the only reason to wear technological relics in the XXI century is, of course, fashion.

dionysusundone 12.10.2007 08:29 PM

Wow, I caused a stir just by posting a picture. Perhaps it would make more sense if I admitted that I sing for a 'goth' band? (And for the record, goth as in Bauhaus, not as in Marilyn Manson) 6
I was dressed for a show. I'm on and off with it as far as daily use goes.
And yeah, to be honest, NOTHING is going to make me look super manly anyway...I'm 5'6, 107 pounds.

But y'know, I could dig up a picture of me with a beard if it makes you guys more comfortable.

ALIEN ANAL 12.10.2007 08:44 PM

wow now i feel shit for having long hair and a band tee

luxinterior 12.10.2007 09:19 PM

Don't take it too personally, it just seems like there is a board uniform and anything that doesn't fit into that little box is subject to ridicule.

Wear what you feel comfortable in.

I understand Rob not wanting to glam it up anytime soon. I was just trying to make sense of why people care so much about another person's appearance. Usually it wouldn't bother me so much, but the insults were personal and baseless.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.10.2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
it just seems like there is a board uniform and anything that doesn't fit into that little box is subject to ridicule.

I have to disagree with you, I feel like everyone here has their own steez

luxinterior 12.10.2007 09:57 PM

Most people here dress in a way that is for the most part socially acceptable. May not have been a few years ago, but it is now. Like girl jeans on guys. Many people here do that.

But really, it is mostly a jeans and t-shirt kind of board we have here. So the jeans might be skinny and the t-shirts might be embellished or homemade, but it's still jeans + t-shirt. And no reason to single out a guy with piercings and eyeshadow and say that it's unacceptable. Those are the photos I like. They disrupt the monotony of this thread (a monotony which I also contribute to).

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.10.2007 10:18 PM

"dress errrday like yous going to get murdered in those clothes"

Alex's Trip 12.10.2007 10:18 PM

Hahaha, fun time.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.10.2007 10:22 PM

men on films alert

Alex's Trip 12.10.2007 10:27 PM

We was high 'n' shit.

Norma J 12.10.2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
Most people here dress in a way that is for the most part socially acceptable. May not have been a few years ago, but it is now. Like girl jeans on guys. Many people here do that.

But really, it is mostly a jeans and t-shirt kind of board we have here. So the jeans might be skinny and the t-shirts might be embellished or homemade, but it's still jeans + t-shirt. And no reason to single out a guy with piercings and eyeshadow and say that it's unacceptable. Those are the photos I like. They disrupt the monotony of this thread (a monotony which I also contribute to).

I agree that there is somewhat of a board uniform, which applies to music, film and what not on here too. Which is quite obvious though, really, considering that is why everyone has accumilated here - Sonic Youth, therefore other similar interests may arise too.

But I disagree on the board uniform you have suggested. I believe there's only like a few others on here who wear tight jeans and we seem to be ridiculed for that when it's mentioned (like you now, I guess). I do see a shit load of Dinosaur shirts and Chuck Taylors though. although the latter is fairly common these days, whatever you're into.

I also disagree with piercings and eyeshadow being unnaccetable (atleast not to me). Unless you were referring purely about this board in general, but that'd make sense considering it is the board it is - I'm sure if you went to the Good Charlotte (which I make no intention to offend anyone by the use of this band) message board or many of the popular bands of today, you'd be ridiculed for wearing jeans and chuck taylors and a Dinosaur Jr shirt.

Plus, I recall a few people being shit on for the way they look in this thread, me being one. So you don't have to wear eyeshadow and have an immense amount of piercings to get a few naysayers.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 12.10.2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I agree that there is somewhat of a board uniform, which applies to music, film and what not on here too. Which is quite obvious though, really, considering that is why everyone has accumilated here - Sonic Youth, therefore other similar interests may arise too.

But I disagree on the board uniform you have suggested. I believe there's only like a few others on here who wear tight jeans and we seem to be ridiculed for that when it's mentioned (like you now, I guess). I do see a shit load of Dinosaur shirts and Chuck Taylors though. although the latter is fairly common these days, whatever you're into.

I also disagree with piercings and eyeshadow being unnaccetable (atleast not to me). Unless you were referring purely about this board in general, but that'd make sense considering it is the board it is - I'm sure if you went to the Good Charlotte (which I make no intention to offend anyone by the use of this band) message board or many of the popular bands of today, you'd be ridiculed for wearing jeans and chuck taylors and a Dinosaur Jr shirt.

Plus, I recall a few people being shit on for the way they look in this thread, me being one. So you don't have to wear eyeshadow and have an immense amount of piercings to get a few naysayers.

ALIEN ANAL 12.10.2007 10:47 PM

im curious..who has posted pics of them selves in a dino shirt..i know me and rob have...but who else?

davenotdead 12.10.2007 11:55 PM

i dont own a dino shirt....

im probably not like most of you...and im a republican