Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 07.21.2008 01:43 PM

Other films I watched recently:

Hellevator - 5/10
Untraceable - 5/10
Home Alone - 8/10
Philosophy of a Knife - 5/10
Men Behind the Sun - 6/10

samuel 07.21.2008 01:46 PM

the fucking Avatar movie on Nickelodeon
I acknowledge what I just said and now I will say that I liked it!

Savage Clone 07.21.2008 01:46 PM

I picked up some anime on the cheap the other day:
"Lady Death." I'd give it a METAL/10

You only give Men Behind The Sun a 6/10?!?
That is seriously one of the most fucked up films I have ever seen, and made a lasting impression beyond shock factor. There's stuff in that movie I'm surprised no one was arrested for.

atsonicpark 07.21.2008 01:53 PM

Eh, I guess. It was alright. I don't rate films based upon their importance or reputation, I rate them based upon on how much I enjoyed them.

I watched it directly after PHILOSOPHY OF A KNIFE, which is 4 hours and 26 minutes of non stop gore (seriously, the goriest film ever made -- though it's not in color, so that kinda takes away from it) and is about a million times more shocking than Men Behind the Sun... and it's also about Unit 731. However, Men Behind the Sun is a better film in many ways.

Anyway, philosophy of a knife is worth a watch, it's not really that good, it's just insane. Wait until you see the graphic scenes of cockroaches being put into actual vaginas, faces being completely melted off (which takes like 10 minutes; I mean, it really shows every stage of the face melting off), and ... well, if you need to know more, look it up on imdb. It's a bit much and I NEVER want to watch it again EVER, but if you have netflix you might as well queue it.

krastian 07.22.2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
the music in taxi driver is unbelievable, maybe the best non-horror film score i've ever heard actually.

Exactly.

atsonicpark 07.22.2008 10:32 PM

cop land - 7/10

mangajunky 07.22.2008 11:24 PM

Dreamscape - awful

viewtiful_alan 07.22.2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Ichi disappointed you? Welcome to the world of Miike!

A lot of his films are filled with hilarious and brilliant scenes but ALL of his films are way too long, even the ones I love. Ichi has a lot of good moments and is one of his more consistent works (and this is coming from someone who has seen probably more than 30 of his movies)... but you know, I'd be disappointed too if I had heard what I had heard about it and then watched it. Filled with brilliant parts... too much of a good thing perhaps.

The brood, the fly, battle royale, and last house on the left are all awesome.

I watced BODY DOUBLE by BRIAN DE PALMA..

8/10.

Brilliant.

Yeah I'd heard so many things about that movie and didn't feel fulfilled.
Plus the plot could have bene a little more... coherent?
I don't know it wasn't terrible it just wasn't the awesomeness I thought it would be.

viewtiful_alan 07.22.2008 11:30 PM

Shit shit movie, but I had a hell of a fun time watching it... so in that case...
6.5/10 for sheer enjoyment.
Haha its one of those ideas that is scary (dental torture.. oww..) but can never work as a movie.. XD

atsonicpark 07.23.2008 12:09 AM

The Dentist 2 is hilarious aha.

viewtiful_alan 07.23.2008 12:25 AM

Time To Play Truth Or Tooth!!

schizophrenicroom 07.23.2008 01:02 AM

kegmama- i would take him. it's not scary as much as it is plain dark.

fugazifan 07.23.2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead

8/10

one of my top 5 films of all time

!@#$%! 07.23.2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
one of my top 5 films of all time

you know what cracks me up about that movie?

they are supposed to be students but they are obviously old people with costumes.

but perhaps everyone looked like that in the 50s. stress, bad nutrition, hard labor...

fugazifan 07.23.2008 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you know what cracks me up about that movie?

they are supposed to be students but they are obviously old people with costumes.

but perhaps everyone looked like that in the 50s. stress, bad nutrition, hard labor...

if i was 40 and got to study with anna karina then i would become a student too...

!@#$%! 07.23.2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

if i was 40 and got to study with anna karina then i would become a student too...

\

no i mean they are supposed to be teenagers no?

regarde:

fugazifan 07.23.2008 01:35 AM

i know what you meant but i was saying, when it comes to anna karina i ask no questions. plus i dont think tht they were supposed to be in high school. they were just taking an english course together...

fugazifan 07.23.2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
\

oh and this is one of my favorite scenes ever...they are almost too cool

!@#$%! 07.23.2008 01:38 AM

Quote:

i know what you meant but i was saying, when it comes to anna karina i ask no questions. plus i dont think tht they were supposed to be in high school. they were just taking an english course together...

oh.

my love for godard stems from this mainly

well i was looking for a large picture from le mepris but the first thing that turned up is one of those russian sites that collect pictures of nude actresses for compulsive internet masturbators.

but anyway, there it is in all it's glory, what a fucking great horse! i mean.. movie!

!@#$%! 07.23.2008 01:40 AM

oh, and of course, duh, i forgot, ha ha--

now that. that. but that.

vegans4veal 07.23.2008 02:39 AM

I watched 'if....' the other night, that was good.

think i'll watch something else from my herzog boxset tonight.

schizophrenicroom 07.23.2008 02:54 AM

i half-paid attention to 'jumper' with hayden christensen tonight. bleh.

uhler 07.23.2008 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i half-paid attention to 'jumper' with hayden christensen tonight. bleh.

yeah i saw that film. it really sucked i thought. it didn't have much of a plot.

schizophrenicroom 07.23.2008 03:05 AM

my stepbrother and i mainly rented it for samuel l jackson, and as hardcore as he is, that man can pick some crappy films to be in.

uhler 07.23.2008 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
my stepbrother and i mainly rented it for samuel l jackson, and as hardcore as he is, that man can pick some crappy films to be in.

yeah he's been in so many bad films. i guess he just needs the money.

vegans4veal 07.23.2008 03:12 AM

back on crack...

MellySingsDoom 07.23.2008 03:32 AM

I saw "Mamma Mia" last night, and loved it to pieces.

10/10!

vegans4veal 07.23.2008 03:33 AM

i want to see it. when my sister saw it some dude stood up in the middle and shouted "THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF SHIT EVER!" and stormed out.

MellySingsDoom 07.23.2008 03:35 AM

^^^Dude needs to lighten up and SING to Abba. Go see it, it's great.

schizophrenicroom 07.23.2008 03:37 AM

i remember seeing the a*teens years back, essentially a teenaged abba cover band. fun, fun show. shame they were just the openers. i used to be ashamed to have my folks pay fifty bucks a ticket so i could go, but as i've grown to love abba i'm glad i went.

mangajunky 07.23.2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegans4veal
i want to see it. when my sister saw it some dude stood up in the middle and shouted "THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOAD OF SHIT EVER!" and stormed out.

What could he have possibly been expecting?

LifeDistortion 07.23.2008 11:39 AM

I've been hearing there's supposedly some kind of male critic blacklash against "Mama Mia". I don't really understand that. I mean if the movie isn't good, fine, but not really sure why male critics in particular hate the movie. And its been a musical on stage for years so its not like the story was not well known before it became a movie.

Rob Instigator 07.23.2008 11:55 AM

there is no STORY

it is just back to back fucking shit ABBA songs. "male critics" hate it because it sucks major ass. women critics hate it too, there is just fewer of them.

Sonic Youth 37 07.23.2008 03:16 PM

atsonicpark 07.23.2008 03:18 PM

ms. 45 - 7/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.23.2008 03:57 PM

Both films are ace.

atsonicpark 07.23.2008 04:01 PM

Chopping Mall has that great exploding head scene and that dorky kid in it. It's pretty good.

Brainscan isn't that great, though the Trickster or whatever was funny. Interestingly, it was written by the guy who wrote Se7en.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.23.2008 04:22 PM

You weren't a fan of Brainscan? C'mon, how could you not love a flick with Edward Furlong drooling over the girl next door, delivering lame reoccurring lines like "Buddies Forever", obsessing over Fangoria, all while struggling against a Primus loving cyber villain named Trickster?

It's got classic written all over it.

EDIT: That's a neat fact, though. I did not know that.

atsonicpark 07.23.2008 05:45 PM

I liked it a lot when I was younger, I just find it kind of boring now.

That reminds me, I usually don't do reccomendations on here but everyone here should check out the film THOU SHALT NOT KILL... EXCEPT. It's this movie loosely based on the Charles Manson family murders and it starts Sam Raimi as a Charles Manson type.. also has Bruce Campbell and Ted Raimi and some others... it's hilarious. It's also known as Stryker's War.

MellySingsDoom 07.23.2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
there is no STORY

it is just back to back fucking shit ABBA songs. "male critics" hate it because it sucks major ass. women critics hate it too, there is just fewer of them.

I love you.

or

Fernaannndooooo! etc