Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

!@#$%! 02.11.2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
You missed nothing in the first half but the second half was great. Liverpool really missed Sturridge, forcing Suarez back up front where he's not as good. The win sort of flattered West Brom but credit to them and yeah, a wonder save by Foster.

Liverpool will be lucky to qualify for the UEFA cup now, never mind the CL. Adios Suarez I imagine.

you mean they won't be able to afford him, or is he gonna get fired for not scoring & not scoring & not scoring?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
I reckon it was a dive by Suarez for the penalty anyway

of course.

he was barely touched but crumbled to the ground like a sack of potatoes

demonrail666 02.11.2013 06:08 PM

I think he'll want to leave. He's a world class player who'll expect to be playing at CL level and for all Rodgers public support for him, I don't think he's really his kind of player. Suarez can be brilliant but his selfishness reminds me a lot of Arjen Robben and Rodgers wants a far more fluid Barca-like style. Regardless of his obvious qualities he strikes me as a difficult player to slot into a team, so the one thing that might keep him at Anfield regardless of where Liverpool finish could be a simple lack of interest elsewhere.

Shame if he does leave England though. Along with Kompany, he's probably my favourite players in the prem right now. (Weird, cos I can't think of two more different players - and I imagine people).

h8kurdt 02.11.2013 06:51 PM

Love it.

Just watched the highlights for the Munich game. Man that team are of fire

!@#$%! 02.11.2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Just watched the highlights for the Munich game. Man that team are of fire

you mean from last weekend vs. schalke? or CL highlights for the upcoming matches?

pad_023 02.11.2013 07:36 PM

Great result for albion tonight, it's good to have Mulumbu and Yacob back, without them we were very shaky indeed. Even though Liverpool had most of the possession we were solid at the back and didn't look like conceding. Definite dive for the penalty, disgraceful play by Suarez.

TheMadcapLaughs 02.12.2013 08:20 AM

its a shame that willian left shaktar, the borussia tie will not be as interesting without him

h8kurdt 02.12.2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you mean from last weekend vs. schalke? or CL highlights for the upcoming matches?

Schalke game.

!@#$%! 02.12.2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Schalke game.

ah yes. alaba shone. he's always been one of my favorite players since last year (this year he started the season injured/out so it's good to see him back in form).

good to see robben/gomez start as they had been as of late spending a lot of time on the bench with mandzukic/mueller starting. which is awesome i think, to have so many options-- mandzukic has been getting better since he started as well.

in schalke's defense however they were missing key players such as huntelaar and affelay and farfan (the lack of attackers prolly made it easy for alaba to move up). plus they have some kind of coach problem. so they weren't such good competition.

but i'm stoked about seeing bayern play arsenal next week.

======

today, not sure about whether to catch PSG/Valencia or Juve/Celtic live. first world problems!

demonrail666 02.12.2013 03:25 PM

Watching Juve Celtic. Excellent game so far.

the ikara cult 02.12.2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Watching Juve Celtic. Excellent game so far.

Really enjoying it, Celtic are being super aggressive but the quality is all with Juve. I think Buffon has made about 7 or 8 saves but theyve all been routine.

Ref is doing a pretty good job overall, he has ALOT of decisions to make and has kept his cards in his pocket mostly, it looks a really hard one to officiate.

the ikara cult 02.12.2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad_023
Great result for albion tonight, it's good to have Mulumbu and Yacob back, without them we were very shaky indeed. Even though Liverpool had most of the possession we were solid at the back and didn't look like conceding. Definite dive for the penalty, disgraceful play by Suarez.

I thought Yakob was gonna get sent off for a while there, Gerrard Lucas and Shelvey were getting in on him and he was getting bullied, but he held his nerve well and it was great to see Albion win.

!@#$%! 02.12.2013 03:40 PM

psg beating valencia at halftime. nice game, not great, but i'm only half-watching @ work.

demonrail666 02.12.2013 04:20 PM

Who's the guy in your sig, Ikara?

h8kurdt 02.12.2013 04:44 PM

NO ONE SAY THE RESULTS FOR THE PISSING CELTIC GAME! Watching it on +1. Man the ref is certainly getting his work cut out.

the ikara cult 02.12.2013 04:44 PM

Its Michael Cusack, founder of the GAA and, i was pleased to find out a couple of years ago, a direct relative of mine.

demonrail666 02.12.2013 06:01 PM

Very cool. The likelihood that he smoked a pipe looks very high.

!@#$%! 02.12.2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

NO ONE SAY THE RESULTS FOR THE PISSING CELTIC GAME! Watching it on +1. Man the ref is certainly getting his work cut out.

so can valencia/psg be mentioned? or is it too soon?

(i havent watched celtic/juve yet so yes, please, keep it quiet...)

demonrail666 02.12.2013 06:33 PM

This would be an ideal opportunity for payback on your Omar/The Wire revelation

the ikara cult 02.12.2013 06:43 PM

They got shown up in the end, terrible commentary as usual from Andy "Yeah, Yep..." Townsend, and no objective thought about the match. Ah well, its Real v United tomorrow, and apparently Wayne Rooney is a "Freckled Devil"

!@#$%! 02.12.2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

This would be an ideal opportunity for payback on your Omar/The Wire revelation

haa haa haaa. i think i found out accidentally but im trying not to think of it.

you'd only hurt h8kurdt at this point.

don't miss the next valencia/psg though-- the stakes are higher... should i tell? should i tell?

----

anyway, zlatan got kicked out at the last minute. red card! ouch... and verrati got a yc which means he won't play either. psg is crippled for next time.

demonrail666 02.12.2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

psg is crippled for next time.

Or maybe not

!@#$%! 02.12.2013 08:48 PM

haaa haaa haaaaa

i seriously doubt it. but eh! maybe he gets some injections.

it was an interesting game in that valencia hoarded the ball (they had over 60% possession) but couldn't get through the psg defense. and psg scored twice. and a third time that was disallowed but shouldn't have been (wasn't really offside).

only in overtime did valencia score, and then zlatan was caught with his cleats up (it wasn't really a foul) and given a red card. oww!! veratti was the real idiot though got a yellow card on purpose, the stupid fucker. lemme see if i can find you a video of that // sorry couldn't. but see if you can watch the game.

tomorrow-- HOLY ASS!! i think i'll watch man u/madrid first and watch dortmund on replay.

h8kurdt 02.13.2013 02:53 PM

Well cos I'm a pov till payday I'm having to listen to the game via a radio. Half as bloody good compared to watching.

Saying that is seems like it's been a pacing start.

!@#$%! 02.13.2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Well cos I'm a pov till payday I'm having to listen to the game via a radio. Half as bloody good compared to watching.

Saying that is seems like it's been a pacing start.

wellbeck just scored w/ header

h8kurdt 02.13.2013 03:26 PM

...thanks for that :p . But of course the dude that is Ronaldo scored the equaliser!

!@#$%! 02.13.2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

...thanks for that :p . But of course the dude that is Ronaldo scored the equaliser!

oh yeah-- you should have seen that! :D

srsly nice match. i hope you catch it on replay.

demonrail666 02.13.2013 04:53 PM

Good match, especially the first half. The second half felt a bit like a stalemate, but no less fascinating for it. Wellbeck was fantastic.

!@#$%! 02.13.2013 05:12 PM

i did space out a bit on the 2nd half but modric brought back the fun

demonrail666 02.13.2013 05:25 PM

The 2nd leg at Old Trafford will be tense as fuck.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

haaa haaa haaaaa

i seriously doubt it. but eh! maybe he gets some injections.

Wait, I thought when Sir Paul McCartney wasn't risking his life making love to his dangerously younger "wife" he was playing in a shit band with Dave and Krist, now I find out he is moonlighting as a Euro Futbol player? No wonder they knighted him ;)

demonrail666 02.13.2013 05:47 PM

Wow. Jealous. From what I saw on TV, the atmosphere looked amazing.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.13.2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
Took my cousin from Donegal to his first Celtic game

But without Rondo do you really think the C's can keep winning games? I sure hope not, I fucking hate Boston, a shit city for sports with only Phillie and Los Angeles fans nearing. Oh right, wrong Celtics yo ;)

!@#$%! 02.14.2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
its a shame that willian left shaktar, the borussia tie will not be as interesting without him

great prophecy there, and i thought for a moment it wouldn't happen. it did.

oh man are dortmund a mess these days.

h8kurdt 02.14.2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

great prophecy there, and i thought for a moment it wouldn't happen. it did.

oh man are dortmund a mess these days.

Why?

!@#$%! 02.14.2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Why?

lack of a deep bench i think. their first lineup is awesome but that's where it ends.

gundogan has been out for a while on injuries and dortmund hasn't won a game without him. last weekend they got clobbered 4-1 by hamburg.

anyway if you watch yesterday's game you'll notice dortmund was quick but sloppy on the attack. every attack seemed to come from the right and little from the left wing and practically nothing from the center.

gundogan is usually in the midfield as a playmaker distributing balls all over but this time it looked like gotze was on that role--but the role doesn't suit him so much, he plays better in a more forward position. i mean the role would fall to kehl/bender or another midfielder but they don't have the creativity. and sahin who gundogan first replaced (and who recently returned) is apparently in bad shape.

same thing with an injured subotic-- felipe santana who covered for him is a huge minus vs what subotic contributes. subotic is not only a solid defender but also deadly on corners, and luckily hummels was able to score with a header but it was him alone instead of two players.

lastly, weidenfeller had a shit day and you could see him flailing in dangerous situations (will see if i can fing highlights online). and while he's a massive guy often able to break through any pile of attackers, and great at aerial contest, at 32 or due to weight or whatever, he lacks the quickness of someone like neuer who is a fucking lightning bolt. so you shoot him a fast ground ball and you can almost hear him go "hhhhmmmmmmpppppfffffff!" as he reaches down.

i love dortmund and they controlled the game yesterday but made some stupid errors and wasted teh chance to take home a win. it could have almost ended like the liverpool/west brom match the other day. very frustrating.

h8kurdt 02.14.2013 02:44 PM

Hmm interesting. It's a annoying that I have a piece of shit computer than can barely run videos so I can't watch full la liga and Bundesliga games to analyse games more. Highlights really don't let you do that.

I was certain they were gonna be a likelyhood at getting the champions league.

demonrail666 02.14.2013 03:17 PM

!@#$%! 02.14.2013 03:24 PM

they are 15 points behind munich in the bundesliga. granted, everyone else is behind them too. but i am more confident in bayern for the CL title (barring a major fuckup). bayern has beefed up its defense with dante and javi martinez, has more options on the attack (mueller+mandzukic or robben+gomez), and is on a roll.

anyway it occurred to me a perfect contrast for weidenfeller is de gea-- de gea lacks the mass to break through in the air sometimes (and you saw that yesterday), but his speed+agility saves vs. real madrid? weidenfeller couldn't do that.

--

ps- demoņo, your post above appears blank

Rob Instigator 02.14.2013 03:37 PM

Is there a Bunda-liga in Brazil?

demonrail666 02.15.2013 05:15 AM

It was always gonna be difficult against Juve but yeah, what a first game! I only hope it doesn't give your cousin false expectations for any other game he sees. Even losing to Juve is bound to be a far cry from a wet Saturday afternoon watching Celtic scrape past St Johnson.

Quote:

ps- demoņo, your post above appears blank

Ah, it shows up at home but now I'm at work using a different server you're right, it's blank.

Anyway, it was the graph from this page:

http://soccerlens.com/ideal-bundesliga-club/86771/

Quote:

de gea lacks the mass to break through in the air sometimes (and you saw that yesterday)

Like everyone, I've been quite critical of De Gea since he joined Man U but I thought he was brilliant against Real. Probably the best I've ever seen him.