Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

nomadicfollower 04.16.2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerNino
The Rolling Stones are WAY overrated.

Yes! Thank you.

And I agree 100% with the Guns 'n' Roses put down.

The Melvins and the Butthole Surfers suck.

nomadicfollower 04.16.2006 06:45 PM

Also, Rapeman's Two Nuns and a Pack Mule is one of the few PERFECT records.

Danny Himself 04.16.2006 06:51 PM

Fat Worm of Error have the best band name in the world, ish. Too bad they kinda suck.

HaydenAsche 04.16.2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Fat Worm of Error have the best band name in the world, ish. Too bad they kinda suck.

I dunno. I like 16 Bitch Pile-Up just a little more.

Everyneurotic 04.16.2006 06:54 PM

i liked black dice a lot more when they used guitars and less synths

aaron dilloway solo is way better than wolf eyes

london calling is an ok album with only a couple of good songs

hair metal is a FUN musical genre. both intentionally and unintentionally

clap your hands say yeah is the worst band ever to be hyped

interpol sucks

cripple crow sucks. devendra is going down

what happened to diverse thinking?

fuck you heroes!!

Everyneurotic 04.16.2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Also, Rapeman's Two Nuns and a Pack Mule is one of the few PERFECT records.

that's a true statement

HaydenAsche 04.16.2006 06:55 PM

Hair Metal sucked. End of story.

Clap Your Hands Say Yes is horrible. Thanks for pointing that out. I must have forgotten them.

Rolling Stones are a bunch of dinosaurs.

Laila 04.16.2006 07:09 PM

Fine then i won't post on this fucking board anymore. hello! the name of the thread is unpopular musical opinions! i like sy but i don't like it when my ears hurt and i get a headache! SY has alot of great songs but they have alot of not so great ones.

Danny Himself 04.16.2006 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I dunno. I like 16 Bitch Pile-Up just a little more.

Now that you think of it, most bands on the Ecstatic Peace ticket have awesome names. Jackie-O Motherfucker, Smegma, and My Cat is an Alien is to name but a few.

dietzer123 04.16.2006 07:41 PM

i think some of bright eyes stuff is brilliant

Pablitzen 04.16.2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laila
Fine then i won't post on this fucking board anymore. hello! the name of the thread is unpopular musical opinions! i like sy but i don't like it when my ears hurt and i get a headache! SY has alot of great songs but they have alot of not so great ones.

start with yr own opinion...then we will follow the pattern :D

DoubleNickels 04.16.2006 07:45 PM

I like Interpol a lot.

I liked Billy Corgan's solo record.

Wolf Parade is a fucking good band

But meh, we all have our own opinions.

I will argue that Jim's bass playing works better for SY as a 5 piece, but between Kim and Jim for a bass spot in a 4 piece? Kim takes that.

nature scene 04.16.2006 08:18 PM

radiohead is boring

sonic youth's lyrics mostly suck. Lee's are usually good. (of course the music is always amazing)

magik markers are horrible

HaydenAsche 04.16.2006 08:59 PM

I will second Magik Markers is horrible until I am blue in the face.

Elisa can choke on skeet and die.

atari 2600 04.16.2006 09:08 PM

not unpopular with this board
but unpopular with the general tastes of the public is that The Sopranos (which have been using some terrific music this season) missed a perfect opportunity to close tonight's program with Sonic Youth's "New Hampshire".
Instead they used "The Fourth of July" by pseudo-L.A.-punkers X. khchris actually professed once that he likes this horrible band. I'd also like to remark that his contention with Steve Jones is a stupid one.

That's okay though, I got Duran Duran, Arcadia & Sade on my '80s list in that other thread haha. Which makes me remember that I forgot The Power Station on my list. That was a pretty damn good pop rock record. hey Hip Priest, Sting sings backup on a track on the Arcadia record. Also in 1985 ,he famously did back up vocals on the classic Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms track, Money for Nothing. Sting says his "I want my MTV" line was a parody of Don't Stand So Close to Me.

oh yeah, a little bit of some news for all you (well, most) music-hatin' fucktards:
I read that the May 9th Gilmore Girls season finale with Sonic Youth (news at main page) is actually an episode where Grant-Lee Phillips (something has always irked me about that guy) is leaving to go tour with Neil Young so the town (i guess, i've never seen the show) holds a Troubapalooza Festival & performers that will be featured (for seconds, i imagine at a time although SY were listed first in the blurb) are gonna be Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo (recently they played a show with John Zorn & Sun Ra), Joe Pernice (now with the Pernice Brothers, formerly of Northampton's own The Scud Mountain Boys), Sparks (no shit...Thurston got to work with one of his absolute faves), & Mary Lynn Rajskub (who playes Chloe on 24).

...to quote John Lennon: "strange days indeed"

marleypumpkin 04.16.2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerNino
The Rolling Stones are WAY overrated.

I agree 100%

HaydenAsche 04.16.2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Wait, are you saying that X isn't really from L.A. or that they aren't really punk?

If it happens to be the latter and not the former, I believe you meant to type the words in this order "L.A. pseudo-punkers".

If it was the former, where are they actually from?

Love,
Disco Daddy

I love it when people are assholes.

Everyneurotic 04.16.2006 09:15 PM

ahhh, x are good!!

not as spin and most people try to say but we're desperate and johnny hit and run pauline are classic punk songs on par with anything you want to put besides.

sure, i hate their pseudo intellectual-poet pretentiousness but billy zoom was a massive guitarist

and they were from like around la, i think they lived in orange county or around. and i know john doe was from baltimore and moved to cali.

HaydenAsche 04.16.2006 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Really? I find that assholes are on the whole completely intolerable. I would much rather be in the company of people who are not overtly hostile as opposed to those who I find to be genuine and welcoming.

I'm sorry that we disagree, but I do not judge you because of it.

On the contrary, I am of the surprising opinion that you are quite lovable Mr. Asche.

Love,
A.B.

I find you to be quite lovable as well.

I like it when people point out other people's mistakes is what I should have said not "I like it when people are assholes."

dietzer123 04.16.2006 09:21 PM

x fucking rocked folks