Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ONE album that changed music for you (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4257)

Pookie 07.27.2006 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Pookie, your entry, while it warmed the cockles of my heart, had to be disqualified on because I identified too closely with it and I felt that that may affect my impartiality as judge. The first album I ever bought with my own money was Showaddywaddy's "Red Star". :cool:

I take it that means my appeal's been turned down?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Anyway, you work in a book shop. If you want the book you can probably get it for about 50p if you use your staff discount.

I was in it for the glory, not the prize.

RdTv 07.27.2006 06:28 AM

I got in late on this, and while I know I won't win the prize, my album would be ''Damaged'' by Black Flag. At that point in my life, I was listening mostly to Rap/Hip-Hop, and some older rock, then I bought this album and it blew my mind. I had always acknowledged the existence of punk rock, but never heard it encapsuled in such a great way, it made me realize the sheer force and intensity that music can and most cases should have. Not saying everything should sound like Greg Ginns guitar and Rollins' vocals, but it made me understand how raw and pure music has the capacity to be, after this album everything changed...

Tokolosh 07.27.2006 06:32 AM

I had that when I first listened to Plastic Surgery Disasters by the Kennedys
Raw power!

Rob Instigator 07.27.2006 08:46 AM

Way to go Danny! SONIC LIFE BROTHA!!!

robstagator

fishmonkey 07.27.2006 08:46 AM

this one

Hip Priest 07.27.2006 08:54 AM

Congratulations to Danny Himself. It was a very good post.

terminal pharmacy 07.27.2006 09:08 AM

yes indeed Danny's post was great, I was there in the room as he described it, nice writing.

Danny Himself 07.27.2006 09:40 AM

Thanks, everyone- really.

I'm totally overjoyed at winning and such! :]

The only real problem is that I feel a bit of a dickhead now. I've read some other entries now, and Julian, Lux, Rob, ALL OF YOU deserve the book as much as I do. So you are all my honorary sonic brethren. Feel free to add me to a messaging program or whatnot- I'm sure I can hook you three up with some sonic rarities.

h8kurdt 07.27.2006 10:05 AM

Bit late but hey

14-Metallica's Master of Puppets.
16-Nirvana's In utero

The two most life changing albums I have heard. These two changed everything about me, from the way I thought to the way I felt about life. Everything.

Sure there are other albums that have blown me away but they've all been bought purely because of the two albums mentioned.

krastian 07.27.2006 03:28 PM

Enjoy the book Danny! Is it signed by Lee with the cd sonicl?

sonicl 07.27.2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian

:eek: Hey, I'm generous, but not that generous! :)

krastian 07.27.2006 04:14 PM

Ha ha....yeah I didn't know if you had 2 of those or not. I got the sweet one too;)

top 40 squeeze 07.27.2006 04:35 PM

John Frusciante - Niandra LaDes and Usually Just a T-Shirt

Danny Himself 07.27.2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian

You got my hopes up there, you bastard. :p

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.27.2006 08:23 PM

Sleater Kinney The Hot Rock

I was 14, and I never realized that music could rock without being obnoxious. I also didn't realize that music could rock minus the "power" chords. I grew up in the early-mid 1990s, and so music for me was always loud, fast, simple, aggressive, etc. Even sleater kinney had been playing such music, but when I heard the Hot Rock, I was amazed at the crafted detail that music could have, when the musician isn't trying to give you a head ache. Harmonies, melodies, riffs, scales, shit man, that was all new to me. I only new the verse-chorus-verse-solo-chorus-verse three chord punk rock that I was born and raised upon. My ears have never been the same.

Everyneurotic 07.27.2006 08:43 PM

a lot of them.

apetitte for destruction by guns n' roses which opened me to rock n' roll.

domination by morbid angel which show me music could be extreme. (actually, it had to do more with their concert experience than the record itself...still a hell of a record!!)

the downward spiral by nine inch nails which showed me music that's difficult and uninviting can make for the most rewarding experiences.

...and out come the wolves by rancid because it opened me to the world of independent labels (because it was put out by epitaph and had a little foldout catalog for mailorder).

endtroducing... by dj shadow because it showed me you could do deep, amazing music without playing any instrument.

dirty because it reconfigured my ear for noise and dissonance while still retaining the art of songwriting.

sy4: goodbye 20th century because the next morning i started I/C/O/C without hearing any real noise music before.

man...my life changes everytime i hear a great record.

porkmarras 07.27.2006 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
a lot of them.

apetitte for destruction by guns n' roses which opened me to rock n' roll.

domination by morbid angel which show me music could be extreme. (actually, it had to do more with their concert experience than the record itself...still a hell of a record!!)

the downward spiral by nine inch nails which showed me music that's difficult and uninviting can make for the most rewarding experiences.

...and out come the wolves by rancid because it opened me to the world of independent labels (because it was put out by epitaph and had a little foldout catalog for mailorder).

endtroducing... by dj shadow because it showed me you could do deep, amazing music without playing any instrument.

dirty because it reconfigured my ear for noise and dissonance while still retaining the art of songwriting.

sy4: goodbye 20th century because the next morning i started I/C/O/C without hearing any real noise music before.

man...my life changes everytime i hear a great record.

Somehow i was thinking about Burzum changing your life forever Everyneurotic.Listened to them last night and i want to cry with joy.

Everyneurotic 07.27.2006 08:54 PM

i still think burzum is overrated...but his mid career stuff is amazing.

i think the record that really made me want to persuade the ugliest most fucked up heavy ass sound and still make something that's both crushingly deafining and expansive in sound is transilvanian hunger by darkthrone

krastian 07.28.2006 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
You got my hopes up there, you bastard. :p

He he....woops! You'll love it either way!

Danny Himself 07.29.2006 08:54 AM

The book was waiting for me when I got home this morning.

Thanks you!
You must spread some sex around before giving it to sonicl again.

EDIT: 777 posts, the number of God. Awesome.