Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bands that are blowing your mind lately (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29716)

PAULYBEE2656 10.18.2009 08:29 AM

fuck buttons
sparks sparks and more sparks...revisiting and enhancing the back catalogue at the moment.
suffocate for fuck sake
as i watch you from a far
john fox
flying saucer attack
mira calyx
vivian girls

greedrex 10.18.2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
yes..... three quarters of that band is awesome ;-)

meaning?

PAULYBEE2656 10.18.2009 08:38 AM

surname!

chicka 10.18.2009 11:40 AM

sonic youth rage against the machine the doors santana black rebel motorcycle gang SHAKEY pixes

the big quasar 10.18.2009 12:01 PM

the whole fucking Pixies, Frank Black, Black Francis, Breeders, Amps conglomerate.

TheDom 10.18.2009 12:27 PM

every surf rock band ever

The Earl Of Slander 10.18.2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the big quasar
Amps

Yes! More love for the Amps! Pacer is such an underrated album.

TheMadcapLaughs 10.18.2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Yes! More love for the Amps! Pacer is such an underrated album.

agreed! dedicated and empty glasses are my favs. on it. oh and tip city too!

TheMadcapLaughs 10.18.2009 02:08 PM

os mutantes have been blowing my mind of late, the first 4 albums are incredible. i haven't heard the new one, although i heard its decent

jerf 10.18.2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

the whole fucking Pixies, Frank Black, Black Francis, Breeders, Amps conglomerate.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to the big quasar again.

Satan 10.18.2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

i was getting down to the pixies majorly yesterday

The Earl Of Slander 10.18.2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
agreed! dedicated and empty glasses are my favs. on it. oh and tip city too!

and I Am Decided.

atsonicpark 10.18.2009 06:52 PM

ben reynolds..

Goes from Basho-ish guitar musings that, for my money, are way better than hmm.. Sir Richard Bishop, at least, as far as contemporary guitarists go... but then he has stuff that's straight-up droney weird shit too..

atsonicpark 10.18.2009 07:13 PM

homegas

Local band who played together about 30 years ago, a bunch of medical students playing bluegrass, during the recording sessions their house burnt down. Interesting album. Produced by John Fahey.

dave bixby

Released 1 album in an edition of 1. Druggy acid folk ballads, done in one take, about how drugs ruined this guy's life. Amazing.

Seandi 10.18.2009 09:28 PM

Chrome and Secret Saucer. Not blowing my mind: Silver Apples.

SuperCreep 10.18.2009 09:50 PM

leonard cohen (then again, when doesn't he blow my mind?)

i'm so excited to see him friday.

Norma J 10.19.2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
The Knife and Mew. I just saw Fever Ray, and it was literally the most badass show I've ever been to ever.

Yes, the new Mew album is cool.

Kosako 10.20.2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
havnt done this in a longtime.

my tastes have been ridiculously diverse today. The main thing I suppose would be all the new lo fi rock n roll and punk wieder psych bands, the blank dogs/siltbreeze canon. Some particular bands that I have just gotten into are the Ooga Boogas, the Country teasers Human Eye (you must listen to this band the cooles heavy psych shit ive heard since comets on fire first came out, allthough its much much darker, and its remarkably rock and not improv based), Black Time (if i had known about them earlier "Double Negative" would have surely been in my top five records of last year, sort of inbetween Brainbombs and straight punk), Pink Noise, A-Frames, FNU Ronnies, Endless Boogie, and Teenage Panzkerdrops. I also like the new Black Lips lp, I know lots of people think they are a lame hipster band, but hipster or not, I don't see anything bad about five drunk dudes struming on guitars and singing like shitfaced sailors in unison while creating these fun and wild extremly soulful garage songs. Its not nearly as good as "Los Valientes del Mundo", but itll do. They are a band people are surprised that I'm so into.

Becuase of all this i have pulled out all my older grarage stuff that influenced the new shit. I have recently gotten into the Clean's compilation that came out last year and I fucking love it. The Saints have defintely gotten a place back in my list of favorite bands, and Australian Punk in general i think is just some of the most exciting and pure music ever. The Gories, the Gun Club, the Kinks, Teegenerate, Cheater Slicks, the Controllers, Inhalants, and many many more.

At the same time though, I seem to be mixing it up with all sorts of the wierdest noise and psych bands I can find. Slicing Grandpa, Kuupuu, the Julie Mittens, id m theft able, Israeli Intelligence, Oaxacan, etc...

I'm getting overwhlemed by this huge influx of amazing new music. It almost seems that I hear more bands thatr I dig than I don't. This lo-fi noisy rock music though is just totally my thing.

Not Sonic Youth, THAT'S FOR SURE!!!! :mad:

Conrad 10.20.2009 07:13 PM

The Devil Makes Three

atsonicpark 06.02.2010 10:27 AM

GEHENNA LION - HYPOSTASIS album is fucking amazing. Download it: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2mbwdg

Basically, it's kinda like a bedroom recorded goth industrial with sampled junk percussion, super heavy bass, heavily effected vocals, and creepy/beautiful melodies. A lot more interesting than that description made it sound. It reminds me of if Blank Dogs was a creepy goth band with more keyboards and maybe a Throbbing Gristle influence or two.