Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:31 PM

I actually hated it when I watched it.

Then, I watched it again years later with a friend and loved it.

It's actually pretty disturbing.......

MellySingsDoom 07.10.2008 01:33 PM

atsonicpark - since we're talking about HG Lewis, what do you think of "Two Thousand Maniacs"?

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:38 PM

I'm not sure what to think of it. There wasn't that much gore in it, but I think it was hilarious. It's still amongst his best films, but I think it's a bit overrated.

I actually enjoyed the sequel/remake though...

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 01:38 PM

tetsuo the iron man is available on netflix as are most of tsukamotos movies

does this work?
http://www.netflix.com/RoleDisplay/S...sukamoto/93899

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:39 PM

I've only seen H.G. Lewis's big films (Blood Feast 1 and 2, Color Me Blood Red, 2000 Maniacs, She-Devils on Wheels, Something Weird, A Taste of Blood, Gore Gore Girls, Wizard of Gore, and Gruesome Twosome) but I really enjoy his directing.. his films have a very weird and interesting look to them... especially the blood which is always REALLY red. His characters always seem like cardboard cutouts. He's pretty awesome. I need to check out his other, "lesser" (I guess...?) works.

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:41 PM

Regarding Tsukamoto: Tokyo Fist and Tetsuo II aren't available on netflix, I had to get those on VHS. Which is a shame because Tokyo Fist is my favorite.

Haze isn't available at all..

His early short films "Electric Rod Boy" and the amazing "Phantom of Regular size" (which is kind of like a Tetsuo 0 or something) are on youtube.

As far as his films go that are available on netflix, I'd definitely reccomend the amazing Gemini and a Snake of June. Bullet Ballet's kind of a mess but it's pretty aweosme. Hiruko the Goblin sucks. And Nightmare Detective sucked too..

His movies were the first ones I bothered with after getting netflix.

!@#$%! 07.10.2008 01:45 PM

yeah those that say "save" arent available but they put you on a waitlist for when they appear

greencine claims to have tetsuo 2 & tokyo fist & vital

http://www.greencine.com/character?pid=10742

i used to have greencine but fuck are they slow

MellySingsDoom 07.10.2008 01:45 PM

I like the music on a lot of Lewis' films, and yeah, I think Herschell was always far more interested in his blood and gore effects rather than the actors per se. I still haven't seen his "Mother Goose" exploitation film, or the one called "Bo-oi-ii-i-ng!!!". "She-Devils..." and "Gore Gore Girls" are great, but I have to admit I was really bored by "Color Me Blood Red".

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 01:47 PM

Yeah, it's a tad slow.. well, most of his films are.. but it had good atmosphere.

Did you see Blood Feast 2? It's a bit too aware of its badness, as I said on the other page. Still hilarious to hear SWEET LOAF by Butthole Surfers playing during murder scenes.

MellySingsDoom 07.10.2008 01:50 PM

No, I haven't seen that, as it happens - I should really check it out at some point, no matter how silly it turns out to be.

Rob Instigator 07.10.2008 02:58 PM

When I saw tetsuo Iron man around age 19 I did not enjoy it, because I was on three hits of dollar bill acid and it just freaked me out terribly. too harsh for the lsd!

atsonicpark 07.10.2008 03:58 PM

Damn.. I need some LSD......

Tokolosh 07.10.2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I've yet to meet a Svankmajer movie I didn't like anyway.

I've got The World of Jan Svankmajer on VHS which contains 6 of his short films between 64-89.
One of the best stop-motion animation filmmakers ever.

Watched Thesis last night. This and Abre los ojos are Amenábar's best films.

ithinkimissyou 07.10.2008 05:56 PM

I watched the entire series of Smileys People back to back.

It was good.

Yes not a movie, but.. I have a tie in..

They're remaking Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy into a bigscreen movie :(

Rob Instigator 07.11.2008 08:26 AM

IN Bruges

I liked it very much and it left me feeling crazy

terriblecanyons 07.11.2008 08:43 AM

i watched unfaithful a while ago and it waw s kind of disturbing but the french guy was hot.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 08:31 PM

Rushmore

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
i watched unfaithful a while ago and it waw s kind of disturbing but the french guy was hot.

yes!

rushmore is one of my favorite movies.

last thing i watched was 10 things i hate about you, and i know it's not a movie, but six hours of arrested development.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:35 PM

Rushmore is a classic. Bill Murray ftw.

After Rushmore I watched like fifteen minutes of Tank Girl.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:36 PM

i've always wished for him to do a movie with philip seymour hoffman so i could just yell "ftw! ftw!" the entire 90 minutes.

i have no idea where my rushmore dvd is and that upsets me.

after 10 things, my siblings wanted to do a heath ledger marathon but we came to a consensus that we'd just end up crying.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:37 PM

I'm sure Wes Anderson would write and direct a movie just starring them and all the do is talk to each other. I'd go see it more times than necessary.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:39 PM

i'd live in the theatre for its entire duration. one-upped!

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:40 PM

I don't think you would be able to leave after 3 or 4 straight viewings because given the state of most theatre floors, you and the floor would have fused into one.

✌➬ 07.11.2008 10:41 PM

I want to go see Wall-E.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I don't think you would be able to leave after 3 or 4 straight viewings because given the state of most theatre floors, you and the floor would have fused into one.

haha. i swear, i've stepped in amniotic fluid a few times at my theatre. shit gets crazy on weekend nights.

synth- wall-e looks so cool.. i'm saving my $$ to see mamma mia! too, because i will say with no irony that i fucking love abba.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
after 10 things, my siblings wanted to do a heath ledger marathon but we came to a consensus that we'd just end up crying.

I was really bummed because the last two movies I watched before I found out he died were A Knight's Tale and The Patriot.

The Dark Knight will be fucking epic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
haha. i swear, i've stepped in amniotic fluid a few times at my theatre. shit gets crazy on weekend nights.

I wouldn't be surprised at that at mine either. It's gotten to the point that I try to go when no ones there. Best I could manage was being 1 of 3 people in the theatre for Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D and the other two people were two fifteen year old slipknot fans in the very back corner, cuddling.

✌➬ 07.11.2008 10:44 PM

OOh, I am so gay, but can't stand musicals. Something is wrong with me. I am like a defective gay of some sort.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ✌➬
OOh, I am so gay, but can't stand musicals. Something is wrong with me. I am like a defective gay of some sort.

No love for Rocky Horror?

✌➬ 07.11.2008 10:47 PM

Can't stand any of them. I am sorry.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I was really bummed because the last two movies I watched before I found out he died were A Knight's Tale and The Patriot.

The Dark Knight will be fucking epic.

aw! i was just told over the phone as i started reading some gossip website about his death and got sad. i want to give his little girl a huge hug.

YES!!! i'm reserving my midnight showing tickets when i get my next round of cash.

synth- hahaha, you're a bad gay! my step brother is in theatre and i mean, this is terrible, but i was surprised how incredibly macho some of them are.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:48 PM

You need some rehab or something, you should at least enjoy Rocky Horror, crossdressing and whatnot.

Dark Knight might be the best movie ever. Heath Ledger as the crazy ass Joker and Gary Oldman playing Ned Flanders as a cop. Can't get any better.

✌➬ 07.11.2008 10:50 PM

I know right? Yeah, the only one I kind of enjoyed was Chicago(the movie) it was ok. I just get annoyed of singing in a movie. I can't take it seriously.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:52 PM

Man, you need a 6-week intensive John Waters Boot Camp for Camp ASAP.

✌➬ 07.11.2008 10:53 PM

I still haven't watch Pink Flamingos all the way.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 10:55 PM

Pink Flamingos is a trail-by-fire. Start with Pecker/Cry-Baby/Hairspray. Pink Flamingos still freaks me out. I'm not sure I've ever been disturbed that much by a movie.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 10:55 PM

i never got through all of pink flamingos.

velma kelly was the inspiration for my last haircut. love that movie.

✌➬ 07.11.2008 11:02 PM

I want a different haircut.

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 11:03 PM

right now my hair is a purple-tinged black and the angle it's cut at is only noticeable with straightened. i need a new look.

Sonic Youth 37 07.11.2008 11:09 PM

I made it through Pink Flamingos once. No desire to see it completely again unless forced.

Only 5 more minutes until Edward Scissorhands

schizophrenicroom 07.11.2008 11:11 PM

the only tim burton movie i can watch is big fish. never cared for anything else. big fish is amazing.