Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

noisereductions 09.08.2010 08:05 PM

CHU CHU ROCKET using two Gamecubes, two screens, and a GBA link cable. FTW.

rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.08.2010 08:34 PM

Haha! What a rig! :p

PS: That Gameboy sewing machine is bonkers!

noisereductions 09.08.2010 08:36 PM

I'm out of control.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.08.2010 08:37 PM

We need to hook yo' ass up to a PediSedate!

noisereductions 09.08.2010 08:39 PM

Dr. Eugene, did you see Machete (Lohan topless) yet??

Ghostchase 09.08.2010 08:40 PM

AWESOME.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.08.2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Dr. Eugene, did you see Machete (Lohan topless) yet??

No, I did not. I'm assuming you pulled a Pee Wee Herman?

noisereductions 09.08.2010 08:54 PM

no, but my wife turned to me and laughed at me like I was a little kid seeing boobs for the first time.

atsonicpark 09.08.2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

SaGa games are terrible??? I loved the Final Fantasy Legends.

Hah. Look up UNLIMITED SAGA..

noisereductions 09.09.2010 07:15 AM

I really didn't pay any attention to SaGa post-Final Fantasy Legend III. Although, I assumed the SNES games could be ok?

atsonicpark 09.09.2010 07:47 AM

HOLY SHIT! In Japan, they just released an 18-CD $200 set with the following soundtracks on it:

Disc01 - Castlevania (NES), Vampire Killer (MSX), Castlevania II (FDS version), Haunted Castle (AC), The Castlevania Adventure
Disc02 - Castlevania III (FC version), Kid Dracula (FC), Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge
Disc03 - Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Disc04 - Castlevania Chronicles (X68000), Dracula X (PCE)
Disc05 - Castlevania Bloodlines(MD), Castlevania Legends(GB)
Disc06 - Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSX/SS)
Disc07 - Castlevania (N64)
Disc08 - Castlevania Circle of the Moon (GBA) Castlevania Chronicles (PS)
Disc09 - Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) Castlevania Aria of Sorrow(GBA)
Disc10 - Castlevania Lament of Innocence (PS2)
Disc11 - Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Disc12 - Castlevania Curse of Darkness(PS2)
Disc13 - Castlevania Portrait of Ruin (DS)
Disc14 - Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
Disc15 - Castlevania Order of Ecclesia (DS)
Disc16 - Castlevania Judgment (Wii)
Disc17 - Akumajou Dracula The ARCADE (AC) Akumajou Dracula The MEDAL (AC)
Disc18 - Michiru Yamane Arrange Album

wow!

noisereductions 09.09.2010 08:00 AM

oh yeah I saw that. Pretty badass.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.09.2010 01:19 PM

Armada (DC)
Definitely an interesting title. Combines Asteroids-like gameplay with RPG elements.

Rez (DC)

atsonicpark 09.10.2010 07:36 AM

Can someone, ANYONE, please explain to me why ANYONE would like the game "Vagrant Story"? I played this one a couple of years ago for a few hours -- as some of you know, at one point I had every game that Square made for the PS1 -- and thought it was one of the worst, if not THE ABSOLUTE WORST, games I'd ever played in my life.

The entire game is hitting the X button to attack enemies "in the grid". Large group formations that surround you. You hit X to attack, then select a "body part" to hit, and then you do it. HIT X QUICKLY and you will get another attack or two in. But, ohhh, be careful, because every time you do ANYTHING, the "risk" meter builds up, and when it's maxed out, all the enemies attacks will do 3x the damage to you and you can't do anything. Not that you could anyway -- you often miss, or only do 1HP of damage. 1HP! For enemies who, y'know, have 200HP! OF COURSE, what you have to do is buy special weapons to hit them with -- certain blades can only kill certain enemies. Sounds cool, right (er, besides the fact that the weapons break)? Well, not in the heat of a battle when you have to change your fucking blade 4 times in a row. It's that bad. You will die, you will die often, but beyond that, you will be bored, since the whole game could probably be beaten in 2 hours, but because of the artificial lengthening of "You don't do ANY DAMAGE unless you have the EXACT blade selected -- and even then, you won't do MUCH damage", the game ends up becoming 12-15 hours long.

Graphics suck, music's alright, none of that is as important as the ABSOLUTE WORST, most BORING, TEDIOUS, AWFUL gameplay I've ever experienced in my fucking life! Oh, and you can't just save when you need to, requiring you to fight MULTIPLE BOSSES before you're allowed to save. And this might be a minor point, but for some reason, the game save takes up 3 times the space of a regular PS1 game -- and it requires ANOTHER 8kb (if you're counting, that's roughly 32kb FOR ONE GAME! -- and yes, that was a shitload on PS1 memory cards) -- for items. What?!

It is easily one of the worst games ever made, and the only reason I'm bringing it up is I was looking at Famitsu games that got perfect scores of 40 and it was the 2nd one, ever. What the fuck? Then again, Famitsu is CLEARLY co-owned by Square or something -- they said Final Fantasy X was the best game ever made (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) and gave Dirge of Cerberus -- anohter one of the worst games ever made -- a great score.

Another thing was, PERSONA 3 was recently voted the greatest rpg of the last decade by two different highly respected RPG websites. I've been a SMT fan for years, and I have beaten tons of the recent SMT games, and all the Persona games.. and Persona 3 is a) easily the worst game in the series... it's one of the most mediocre games I've ever played and is just flat-out boring by the end, b) not even close to being the "best" RPG of the decade, it wasn't even the best RPG the MONTH it came out! ........

As for best RPG of the past decade, well... Xenogears just misses the boat doesn't it, it came out in early 99 I believe.. ah, well, I'd say Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Valkyrie Profile 2, or Dragon Quest VIII... or, hell, VII. Or Tales of Symphonia. Hell, Skies of Arcadia, if only the battles weren't so slow. Worst RPG I played in the decade was probably Final Fantasy XII, which might be the only game I've played that's as bad as Vagrant Story -- oh, and guess what? IT WAS MADE BY THE SAME TEAM.

shabbray2.0 09.10.2010 08:05 AM

hahaha
I agree to you about the persona rumble.
I enjoyed Persona 4 ALOT more then persona 3.
this pseudo suicide headshot thing is what attracted every reviewer. I liked it too, but NO, just NO :)
Devil Survivor is by far the best SMT since Nocturne! maybe I liked it even more, cause its the only one which I played to get every damn ending and enjoyed every minute of it.
looking forward to play strage ourney cause it reminds me a lot of the old school smt.
Anybody played it so far?

best RPG? I really cant decide at the moment, I am not so much a fan of the tales series, tried to play tales of symphonia but got bored pretty quick and sold it over ebay.

one thing for sure: killer7 best game since ever. haHA!

playing at the moment for the trillionst time:

if they would remake resident evil 2 in the same way I would piss my pants

and I am still playing:

and I think: this is the BEST shooter Ive ever played (see my conversation with noisereductions a few pages before this for details (this goes out for you asp if you didnt played this!!!!!!))

noisereductions 09.10.2010 08:33 AM

Xenogears never interested me. I never even bothered trying.

I've only played SMT games that were on SNES, GBC, GBA -- never tried the Persona's. (And I finally sold my dust-collecting PS2 this week, so...)

REmake is AMAZING. Seriously amazing. I'd never be able to play the PS1 version ever again now. I really wish 2, 3, Veronica had gotten the same treatment. Alshab, have you played RE0? It's pretty similar in feel - though you control 2 characters independent of each other. (think Maniac Mansion). And of course you know that i Love RE4.

I'm gonna try to find Bangai-O today after work. I NEED IT.

noisereductions 09.10.2010 08:33 AM

oh BTW I'm playing Urban Strike (the Genny port). It's really good but I dn't really get what I'm supposed to do at certain parts and it pisses me off.

shabbray2.0 09.10.2010 09:20 AM

yeah I got all GC RE(makes)!!!
Zero is pretty cool!

indeed you NEED bangai O. I am totally addicted in making levels!!!!
I will head to Spain the next 1 1/2 weeks. maybe I find the time to upload my recent levels for you beforehand. but I am sure I will sharpen my skills till then :) did at least 2 really great levels, which are difficult and actionpacked as fuck. but I managed to finish them after more or less tries, so they work. It easy to get the hang of creating levels and making them hell of a fun.
if not we can exchange levels like mad when I am back (will have no internet connection there I think)

P.S.: I found out that we even can collaborate in making levels!!! cause when you download one Ive done, you can customize them, upload and I can download it. and on and on. so we could optimize

noisereductions 09.10.2010 09:23 AM

sounds awesome. I only wish the DS could be output to a TV or bigger monitor. Oh well.

EVOLghost 09.10.2010 09:31 AM

My thumb is a bit blistered from playing super street fighter 2 on snes emulator...

noisereductions 09.10.2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
My thumb is a bit blistered from playing super street fighter 2 on snes emulator...

niiiiiiiiiiice

I never tire of SF2. You should get an arcade stick buddy. It'll help.

BTW EVOLghost, WHEN are you going to join racketboy.com forum???

shabbray2.0 09.10.2010 09:53 AM

SF2 is the best fighting game ever created. everything else doesnt come close in the long run.
SF2 and a good human opponent never, really never gets old.
I think I prefer Super SF2 over SSF2Turbo version.
I dont exactly know why, but something is different.
and of course I prefer the Genesis version, hahaha how cliche (but with the 6 button pad, honestly I think I am better with a pad then I will ever be with a stick.)

I played the hypr street fighter 2 anniversary version which includes all different SF2 versions, an it sucked!?!
the whole essential tight gameplay feeling completely missed out of all version. far from a perfect port

EVOLghost 09.10.2010 10:09 AM

^^ haha one day nr.
Honestly I play best with a d-pad, it's how I learned to play. But lately I've been wanting to get an arcade stick so I can pose a bgger threat at arcades...hehe. And yes al, sf and a good human opponent and the game seriously never gets old.

noisereductions 09.10.2010 10:21 AM

evolghost, where are you from?

shabbray2.0 09.10.2010 10:34 AM

^^NR is thinkin twice about his marriage hahahaha

noisereductions 09.10.2010 11:00 AM

whaaat? EvolGhost is a dude. (Isn't he?)

atsonicpark 09.10.2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Xenogears never interested me. I never even bothered trying.

Well, you missed out on the most mindblowing game experience ever created then! Oh well!

Seriously -- it's the best.

Though gameplaywise, super metroid will always be my favorite game ever.

noisereductions 09.10.2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Well, you missed out on the most mindblowing game experience ever created then! Oh well!

Seriously -- it's the best.

Though gameplaywise, super metroid will always be my favorite game ever.

I was drunk when I wrote that. I meant "Vagrant Story". I was replying to what you had written. I didn't mean Xenogear

Count Mecha 09.11.2010 03:14 AM

Haha, Vagrant Story sounds so awful. I'd always heard that it was a remarkable game, but I was never too interested in looking at it. Today I realized how little I'm familiar with RPG's of the 00's, I've played maybe three or four of them, Deus Ex being my favorite.

Played a fair amount of this today. It's ok I guess, extremely predictable and exposition is non existent. But it's fine, it's Final Fantasy, and considerably better than the more recent efforts, but the gameplay is all the same really. I've played them all in some capacity with the exception of 5 and 13, and this one is no new ground. But whatever, I like it ok.

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 05:56 AM

Yeah, 4's a bit overrated -- it is the most popular one in Japan, next to VII and X -- but it's a nice, short (15-20 hours quest). Now, SIX is unbelievable (if a bit easy; I never died once and had done everything in the game by the end of it).

You know, Square could easily put 1-9 on one disc and release it and make shit tons of money, but they keep doing these ridiculous repackagings of, like, the first game "WITH NEW SPRITES!" and II "NOW, NOT COMPLETELY BROKEN!" shit.

noisereductions 09.11.2010 08:09 AM

I don't really like FFIV that much. I don't like the real-time shit added to the battle system.

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 11:23 AM

I haven't liked any of the recent Final Fantasys. 10, 11, 12, and what I played of 13 were horrible, especially 12. I am not sure why people still care about those games. I mean, 5, 6, 7 and 9 are just absolutely incredible... but nothing comes close to the Dragon Quest games. Dragon Quest 7 is better than every Final Fantasy combined, and 8 made me cry. (the only game to do that besides Okami) Does anyone have Dragon Quest IX? I gotta get that. Also, it is true Dragon Quest X is being developed for the Wii?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.11.2010 11:36 AM

The only Dragon Quest I've played was part 7. But it was extraordinary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha

I've had this lying around my room for quite some time now, but have never gotten around to popping it in. I didn't even know that it was actually FF4. There are just so many more appealing RPGs on the SNES, including FFIII/VI.

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 11:42 AM

Yeah... favorite RPG's and action-RPG's for the SNES... FF6, Chrono, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire I and II,YS III... uhh... Earthbound I guess... Ogre Battle! (though I prefer the N64 one)

I actually prefer the Genesis, for Phantasy Star I-III, Shining Force, Light Crusader... and two of the absolute best games EVER, Beyond Oasis and Landstalker. Amazing games.

shabbray2.0 09.11.2010 11:49 AM

Beyonf Oasis (Story of Thor in europe)
is awesome and a beloved gem of mine

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 11:56 AM

Too bad I never owned a Saturn, they made a sequel for it, can't even remember the name of it.. LEGEND OF OASIS I think?

Anyway, Beyond Oasis, for those who haven't played it, is one of the best games ever. Imagine Ys meets Streets of Rage 3. It's simply the most beautiful game on the Genesis (next ot Ranger X). And definitely the most fun. It's just no-bullshit, just killing things and acquiring demons and killing more shit and solving some cool demon puzzles. Big ass swords killing monsters, just badass. In some ways, it reminds me of Guardian Heroes and Panzer Bandits except it's on a 3D plane. It's just SO FUCKING GOOD.

Landstalker is also awesome, though the isometric view makes some of the platforms/puzzles kinda iffy.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.11.2010 12:03 PM

Sadly, I've never played a single RPG on the Genesis.

Nice Illusion of Gaia mention though. Nobody ever really talks about that one, and it's one of my all-time favorites.

atsonicpark 09.11.2010 12:29 PM

Ah, I had just about every Enix game ever at one point. Which was nice, when I went to sell E.V.O. on ebay a few years back and made $100! That reminds me, I recently found out my Mega Man X Collection is going for $75 now. Wow! I think I'm going to sell it... not an especially big fan of the X games. Before I had a job, I used to basically exist on buying used games and selling them for tons of money. Right before Advent Children came out, I bought a good 7 copies of FFVII for anywhere between $5 and $15... later, I sold them all for between $50 and $80! The best thing I did was when I bought Castlevania: Dracula X for the SNES, for $3... sold that bitch for $110. WOW!

I don't really buy/sell games too mcuh anymore, but back in the day, it paid for my first car (my $500 '87 Geo Spectrum, which -- 6 years later -- is still running like a dream). Kinda cool.

Jeremy 09.11.2010 12:50 PM

I never bought Mega Man X Collection since I still own all the original copies on SNES and PSX (Missing 5 and 6 though), but I kick myself over how it went out of print and I don't own it.

Regarding FF4, I think a main problem with the game is the huge jumps in difficulty at some parts (Where you do nothing but level up and heal after every battle for an hour only to find there's another huge level jump of enemies in the next part) and the fact the game is pretty linear. If you could switch characters up a bit rather than the game always making you have characters, it would be a lot better.

~Jeremy~

shabbray2.0 09.11.2010 01:49 PM

I recently saw a copy of snatcher at amazon.de. it should go for 47 bucks. I mailed the guy and asked whats wrong with it, and he said thats its pretty scratched, and the manual and frontcover are in a paper case...
I refused to buy it.
shortly afterwards it disappeared from marketplace and popped up at ebay.
it was sold for 122 euros, which is around 150$!!!!
for a SHITTY copy of snatcher. holy damniit I hope they never re-release it :)