Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

Death & the Maiden 06.23.2009 02:22 AM

Rowland S Howard is cooler than Nick Cave.

Torn Curtain 06.23.2009 03:39 AM

I agree that R.E.M are really overrated, but the Smiths fuck no. Hatful of hollow anyone ? :mad:

EDIT: I see how the Smiths can be exasperating (as swa(y) said it's mainly because of Morrissey) though, and off course some of their music doesnt age well (80s obliged).

Torn Curtain 06.23.2009 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
i think the clash suck.

Yes, (but I guess many people agree on that here).

Torn Curtain 06.23.2009 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
-Meat Is Murder is a preachy peice of shit

Robert Smith said something like "whenever I hear Meat is murder I want to eat a big steak", and he might have a point :D I still like the music though.

summer 06.23.2009 03:52 AM

Oh also I forgot to post my own very unpopular opinion: The Velvet Underground & Nico is said band's worst album.

sonic sphere 06.23.2009 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden

yes.

ZEROpumpkins 06.23.2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Robert Smith said something like "whenever I hear Meat is murder I want to eat a big steak", and he might have a point :D I still like the music though.

He should know. His last name is the singular form of the band's name.

SYRFox 06.23.2009 06:07 AM

I would put Simian Mobile Disco's first album in my top 50 (if not top 20 ?) of the decade

SonicBebs 06.23.2009 06:18 AM

i would put clap your hands say yeah's 1st album in my top 10 ever

SuperCreep 06.23.2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden

Agreed, easily.

Then again, I never thought Nick Cave was THAT cool, outside of his Birthday Party/early Bad Seeds days. Still a great songwriter/vocalist anyway.

loubarret 06.23.2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

I agree that R.E.M are really overrated, but the Smiths fuck no. Hatful of hollow anyone ? :mad:

EDIT: I see how the Smiths can be exasperating (as swa(y) said it's mainly because of Morrissey) though, and off course some of their music doesnt age well (80s obliged).

The smiths are one of my favorite bands, Hatfull has to by most loved record all time but I can't stand meat is murder

demonrail666 06.23.2009 11:26 AM

I don't listen to The Smiths much now but when they first emerged they had a massive impact on me. They were like my Nirvana I suppose, which is part of the reason why i'd never criticise Nirvana to a Nirvana fan. I can appreciate that they meant something very important to them at one point and that even if that moment has passed, they remain significant on a very personal level and that my indifference towards them means far less than their passion.

automatic bzooty 06.23.2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

i cranked meat is murder at a mcdonald's drive in once... while i was waiting for my cheeseburger.

Sonic Youth 37 06.23.2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
i cranked meat is murder at a mcdonald's drive in once... while i was waiting for my cheeseburger.

Lulz.

I can agree with Morrissey being a twat, but the Smiths are really one of the best pop bands ever. They really had some great tunes.

demonrail666 06.23.2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty

loubarret 06.23.2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

That's very punk of you but also a great action.

I think I might be the only vega smiths fan who hates that album....

SuperCreep 06.23.2009 01:41 PM

I think I might be the only Smiths fan that really likes Meat Is Murder (the song.)

Barbarism Begins at Home, on the other hand, is absolute shit. Everyone seems to like that one.

Rob Instigator 06.23.2009 01:46 PM

I love all smiths, yes, even oscilate wildly and golden lights.

and barbarism begins at home rules
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_T1NE4Q2BI

atsonicpark 06.23.2009 01:49 PM

the cure suck

loubarret 06.23.2009 01:49 PM

I only like How Soon Is Now on meat(it's also on hatful) but for the rest, it's a moaning peice of irritating music.

Strangeways here we come is tragicly underated