Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

porkmarras 12.28.2006 08:11 AM

I've bought Gang Of Four - a brief history of the twentieth century as a present for someone.

porkmarras 12.28.2006 08:11 AM

Steady on,there.I'm a huge fan of Howard Devoto.

Iain 12.28.2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
There are so many bands notable by their absence.

I would have left off B-52s, Associates, Heaven 17, Human League, Robert Wyatt, Blue Orchids, Scritti Politti to name just a few.

And included Magazine, Pere Ubu, PiL, Throbbing Gristle, Joy Division, to name just a few.

But that's my taste.

I took it as being more of a personal favourites of Simon Reynolds so I wasn't really upset about him leaving out 'key' bands or anything. I quite like the fact that the B52s are on there because most people wouldn't have put them on there...not serious enough for most post punk scholars I imagine. Shame the B52s track isn't that great though.

I would have left of Human League and Heaven 17 as well but only because I think they are shit. A few others I would have left out as well and I thought the Slits track was an odd choice, so much better stuff on that record.

It did back up my suspicion that Pulsallama are great and need investigating further though.

And it was oly £5 and I did get to talk to the cute girl that works in Fopp so everyones a winner really.

Pookie 12.28.2006 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
I took it as being more of a personal favourites of Simon Reynolds so I wasn't really upset about him leaving out 'key' bands or anything.

That's true.

It seems to be a very personal choice rather than trying to encapsulate the time.

And I approve of the oddness of some of the tracks; it must have been very tempting to include a lot of more obvious bands and tracks.

sonicl 12.28.2006 08:30 AM

There's a good thread to be started here: Compile a 20 track postpunk compilation. But I'm not going to start it until I've decided my own tracklisting.

EDIT - It could be quite a while before I think about starting this. I compiled a list of artists and realised that I was about to put together a pretty run-of-the-mill "Alternative 80s" type compilation.

porkmarras 12.28.2006 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
There's a good thread to be started here: Compile a 20 track postpunk compilation. But I'm not going to start it until I've decided my own tracklisting.

That'd be a joy.I have a really interesting compilation of post punk dutch bands at home.

nicfit 12.28.2006 08:44 AM

cLOUDDEAD : ten+ dead dogs two single
years go by too fast.

Prisstina 12.28.2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
pavement kinda...suck.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me!

HECKLER SPRAY 12.28.2006 01:15 PM

Don't you have any argument, swa(y) ?

A Thousand Threads 12.28.2006 01:24 PM

Just came back from record shop

Einstürzende Neubauten - 5 auf der nach oben offenen Richter Skala
Wire - Pink Flag (i finally got it on Vinyl)
Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral
Animal Collective - Here Comes The Indian

gmku 12.28.2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
Just came back from record shop

Einstürzende Neubauten - 5 auf der nach oben offenen Richter Skala
Wire - Pink Flag (i finally got it on Vinyl)
Comets on Fire - Blue Cathedral
Animal Collective - Here Comes The Indian

Yay! Pink Flag on vinyl! I got my copy last month, too. Along with Chairs Missing and 154--which you must also own.

You got the 180 gram LP, right? Rhino, I think? Isn't it sweet? They did that one right--sounds so nice, and great job on the reissue cover/inner sleeve art, too.

A Thousand Threads 12.28.2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Yay! Pink Flag on vinyl! I got my copy last month, too. Along with Chairs Missing and 154--which you must also own.

You got the 180 gram LP, right? Rhino, I think? Isn't it sweet? They did that one right--sounds so nice, and great job on the reissue cover/inner sleeve art, too.

yep, i got that one, sounds so good, i´m very happy with it.
I own Chairs Missing
but still haven´t found 154

schizophrenicroom 12.28.2006 01:59 PM

we have the facts and we're voting yes
the ugly organ
happy hollow
blue cathedral

k-krack 12.28.2006 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
the ugly organ
happy hollow

Wooo!

Iain 12.28.2006 02:02 PM

Weren't those Wire lps reissued by 4 Men With Beards? I wouldn't mind getting them either.

schizophrenicroom 12.28.2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
Wooo!

yes! i love them so much. i'm still so miffed i didn't see them when they were in orlando.

gmku 12.28.2006 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Weren't those Wire lps reissued by 4 Men With Beards? I wouldn't mind getting them either.

Yeah, sorry, that's it.

fugazifan 12.30.2006 07:04 AM

ex lion tamer-go ghost
the young gods-leau rouge

Iain 12.30.2006 07:50 AM

Atlantic Black Gold - The 20 Great Soul Hits by Original Artists
Girls With Guitars

The Girls With Guitars LP is really good. It's a collection of stuff from female beat groups. Lulu appears on it but apart from that it's good.

k-krack 12.30.2006 03:57 PM

Beck- Mellow Gold
explosions in the sky- how strange, innocence