Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

jon boy 04.11.2008 01:24 PM

the secret history - donna tart

!@#$%! 04.11.2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
I'm skim-reading In Search Of Lost Time again, because Proust is easily my favourite writer: the way that he describes the tones and textures of things, the subjects that he writes about (the psychological idiosyncrasies of people, his philosophies, 'society') and the long, intertwining storyline which is so full of surprises (and retrospective irony)... I just can't comprehend that there will ever be anything written that can match it. And he was gay.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me with these questions:

1) I love New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. What is his second-best book?

2) I once tried to read Anna Karenina but stopped after 200 pages, at the point where Levin goes back to his farm and Tolstoy starts describing ancient Russian farming-techniques. I just thought 'why am I reading this?'. Should I try again, and be more patient?

sweet choices there

about 1), i liked the music of chance, the essay about his father, and i've heard great things about the country of last things & moon palace (an ex of mine used to be a big auster fan-- in part because of his "vampire" looks).

about 2), i read the whole book but the strategy i utilized was just sticking to 1 chapter a day, much like the newspapers of the xix century where such books were published in serialized form-- they were the soap operas of the day. so yeah, just read 1 chapter a day & see how it goes. then some weekend maybe you feel inspired to do 3 or 4 or whatever. but definitely treat it like a marathon book, not a sprint one.

enjoy.

Rob Instigator 04.11.2008 01:48 PM

I am reading a book of master drawings and prints written in the 1950's. great art historical stuff.

also I am reading a large Taschen book I got last wekeend of Leonardo Da Vinci's drawings.
it rules.

uhler 04.14.2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Ulysses, page 260. It took me 4 hours to read 80 pages 2 days ago.

like i said, i'm waiting until nyc to start ulysses again. i'm excited and scared at the same time.

i was just reading cometbus issue number 50 and now i'm re-reading the psychic soviet.

Dead-Air 04.15.2008 12:05 AM

I just started Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds, the first novel I've checked out by him that's not set in the Revelation Space universe. What's particularly odd is that I've been watching the dvds of the British intersticial tv program The Singing Detective and this book cuts back and forth between a more traditional SF future and a 1950s detective story in Paris, and the detectives are musicians!

Sonic Youth 37 04.15.2008 12:18 AM

Ulysses page 305.

Meditations-Marcus Aurelius (for Roman Empire)

Sonic Youth 37 04.23.2008 12:07 AM

Ulysses page 530. I read 100 pages today.

forkimified 04.23.2008 12:27 AM

Just finished the Phillip K Dick short story collection Eye of the Sibyl.

I'm currently in the middle of several other things such as Michael Moorcock's Elric - Stealer of Souls (I think there are going to be an infinite number of re-releases to reflect the infinite nature of the multiverse...). It's the Conan for pessimists. Or Discworld's evil and somehow older twin.

I started Alan Dean Foster's Quozl a long time ago. It's about an advanced culture of giant space rabbits that come to earth. It's pretty good so far. But I'm pretty sure the cover is extremely inaccurate, and it's a lot less 'ha ha' than it might suggest.

Also need to finish League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol. 1.
I hope Alan Moore comics stop being made into shitty movies.
I hope the Watchmen movie turns out at least OK, since it's based on the perfect comic.
So much to live up to.

Next might be Manson: In His Own Words

!@#$%! 04.23.2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Ulysses page 530. I read 100 pages today.

there is zero merit in reading ulysses fast. honestly. you're missing out of the many tentacles each word extends into the surrounding protoplasm. just saying.

Sonic Youth 37 04.23.2008 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
there is zero merit in reading ulysses fast. honestly. you're missing out of the many tentacles each word extends into the surrounding protoplasm. just saying.

Well, it's not really that fast. I'm reading the fantasy part where for a lot of it there's a lot of open page space, with the name of the speaker being the only thing on the line.

Edit: dreamery creamery butter.

jonathan 04.23.2008 03:22 AM

I can easily see how James Joyce is considered to be one of the best writers who ever lived. I've had a brief exposure to him, but what I've read I have been absolutely floored by.

right now I'm reading Nietzsche - The Genealogy of Morals. I'll finish that tomorrow, hopefully read a book on race by next Tuesday, then kick off the summer with Lolita and Discipline and Punish.

Crumb's Crunchy Delights 04.23.2008 03:29 AM

Ripchord 04.23.2008 09:27 PM

ALIEN ANAL 04.23.2008 10:57 PM

consolation of philosophy
Alain de Botton

its an awesome book, life changing i could say
great book

Sonic Youth 37 04.24.2008 12:42 AM

Ulysses page 612.

looking glass spectacle 04.24.2008 06:57 AM

Sonic Youth 37 04.24.2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looking glass spectacle

Fucking great book. Easily one of my favorites.

EMMAh 04.24.2008 12:41 PM

Everyneurotic 04.24.2008 04:52 PM

nothing feels good for like the fifth time.

Dead-Air 04.26.2008 09:50 AM

I'm now reading A Messiah at the End of Time or The Transformation of Mavis Ming by Michael set in the Dancers at the End of Time version of Earth. So far it is much like the books in that trilogy, and I wouldn't expect otherwise, whimsical satire in a far future where literally anything is possible (which makes the residents rather bored.)

When I finish it, I'll be starting the Moorcock graphic novel Elric: The Making of a Sorcerer next. I'm quite looking forward to spending some time with my favorite albino friend then!