Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

noisereductions 06.16.2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
-I love Genesis

me too.

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

-I love The Fall, but I don't like early Fall

WHAT?!

MellySingsDoom 06.16.2009 12:31 PM

TINH - Which era of Genesis are you into? Selling England By The Pound or Invisible Touch?

automatic bzooty 06.16.2009 01:25 PM

joe strummer >>>>>> mick jones.

as far as clash songwriting goes. and i don't think that's unpopular, though. but, um, "guns of brixton" is better than most of joe 'n' mick's songs...

jon boy 06.16.2009 01:30 PM

i am not as interested in sy as i used to be. i like the solo and syr releases more now.

also i hate the clash.

demonrail666 06.16.2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
TINH - Which era of Genesis are you into? Selling England By The Pound or Invisible Touch?

They're both great albums in their own way I think.

Edit: And I'm not just saying that in a bid to have an 'unpopular musical opinion'.

MellySingsDoom 06.16.2009 01:41 PM

^^^I know that you're not trying to be 'ironic' or anything there.

I was having a chat with some friends about the good prog rock/bad prog rock question, and one of them pointed out that Yes (a band I think are very iffy) were one of Keith Levene's fave groups. And as much as I really don't like Emerson, Lake and Palmer (more a firm of solicitors than a band name), I do confess a liking for their "Fanfare For The Common Man". Oh dear.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.16.2009 01:43 PM

Led Zeppelin is boring, there I said it. And I can't fucking stand Robert Plant's voice, jesus I wish Bob Digi would do as I says, "and stick a long silver hook down your throat and snatch out your vocals" to that dude... sounds like a cat having sex with a really annoying chick.

and Bob Dylan, you have written some of the best songs I have ever heard, but you can neither sing them nor perform them even a small fraction as good as ANYONE else I have ever heard play a dylan tune. I literally believe that EVERYONE who performs dylan tunes does them better than dylan, myself included..

my favorite is Hendrix "Like a Rolling Stone" and the Dead "Its All Over Now Baby Blue (Jerry Bear version not Bob Weir-d)

This website should help, it is all the dylan covers ever released.. proves my point like fucking algebra

MellySingsDoom 06.16.2009 01:50 PM

SuchFriends - Have you heard the version of "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" by Roger McGuinn? It's on the "Easy Rider" soundtrack, and very nice it is too.

As for the world of Metal, a lot of people are into Mastodon, but they are a band I just can't get into at all. I've seen them live, and they didn't really rock my world, I have to say.

SuperCreep 06.16.2009 02:05 PM

That reminds me, I'm not that huge on The Byrds' Dylan covers as most people are.

sarramkrop 06.16.2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
That reminds me, I'm not that huge on The Byrds' Dylan covers as most people are.

Agreed.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.16.2009 02:41 PM

This might seem crazy, but Animal Collective is sort of Pink Floyd-ish with their fanbase. Some fans/purists appreciate the early efforts more (like Syd-era Floyd) and loathe the expansive proggy trajectory they seem to be on now (post-Syd).

noisereductions 06.16.2009 02:46 PM

^true.

demonrail666 06.16.2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

and Bob Dylan, you have written some of the best songs I have ever heard, but you can neither sing them nor perform them even a small fraction as good as ANYONE else I have ever heard play a dylan tune. I literally believe that EVERYONE who performs dylan tunes does them better than dylan, myself included..

There's a lot of open space in Bob Dylan songs. The problem with most of the covers (and especially The Byrds ones) is that they have this need to fill that space up with too much music. So while Dylan is able to sort of drift around in his songs, it always sounds to me like the Byrds have placed a kind of musical grid over everything, locking things down into their particular place. The only band whose covers of Dylan I tend to like are those by The Band themselves - who co-wrote a lot of the ones they covered anyway. Their version of say 'Tears of Rage' has that same sort of drifting openness - although i do still prefer the versions they did with Dylan.

Decayed Rhapsody 06.16.2009 03:12 PM

I tend to think the better bits of Dylan's more recent work aren't covered as well as his earlier stuff. I can't imagine anyone else giving Lovesick or similar songs the same kind of raspy passion. I really like his voice, but I understand those that find it grating.

Everyneurotic 06.16.2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

...Yes (a band I think are very iffy) were one of Keith Levene's fave groups...

and pat smear's!

and mine!!

MellySingsDoom 06.16.2009 03:20 PM

Everyneuro - I've just checked out Yes' "Starship Trooper" on that YouTube, and, er, it's actually not too bad....:o

This Is Not Here 06.16.2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Strictly Peter Gabriel's Genesis. My favourite album is Trespass, nothing short of a masterpeice.

This Is Not Here 06.16.2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
WHAT?!

I don't hate it, or even dislike it, but I massively prefer the Fall's more recent stuff. Theres just something about the general sound or production back then that sounds a bit thin. The Fall from the past 15 years for the most part has been abso-bloody-lutely everything cranked up to 11, no vocals that can be understood, they're a thick, sludgy, loud MONSTER of a band and I love it. Dragnet cannot compare to The Unutterable.

Glice 06.16.2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

I don't hate it, or even dislike it, but I massively prefer the Fall's more recent stuff. Theres just something about the general sound or production back then that sounds a bit thin. The Fall from the past 15 years for the most part has been abso-bloody-lutely everything cranked up to 11, no vocals that can be understood, they're a thick, sludgy, loud MONSTER of a band and I love it. Dragnet cannot compare to The Unutterable.

Yes! Legions of yes! It's truth! Yes! Early stuff, good, yes, but latter stuff gooder, with some iffy patches. Yes. Yes yes yes.