Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   top 5 nirvana songs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=34566)

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)

i know they played her birthday party last year though. im more curious as to what courtney was thinking during their performance than i am what kurt would have thought.

according to wikipedia, the theme of the party was....get this....suicide.

kurt would have probably been ashamed that she apparently owns more than 137 pairs of shoes & 200 pairs of jeans...even worse, that she wants to act in musicals.

i really loved the elle photos of her taken in 2006 where she was photographed in the pajamas that kurt wore on his wedding day:

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

i dont think he woulda cared that she wants to act in musicals. i dont see the big deal w/ that. and considering her status as a rock sars daughter, i dont think 137 pair of shes is all that big of a deal, either. theres plenty of women w/ out that sorta $$$ w/ more shoes than that.

he always said he just wanted a happy child. i dont think he woulda gave a shit wether or not she grew up to be some punk rock cliche.

and those photos were great.

i dont think that he would have wanted her to be a punk rock cliche or anything. idk, i just can't imagine him wanting her to be too involved with too much materialistic shit. but yr right, as long as she's happy.

yeah, those are fanastic.

Toilet & Bowels 09.17.2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
"omg kurdt ttly wrote all cortnys songs lol" is like, soooooo '95, kiddo. it's 2009.

can you even remember 1995?

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

kurt, like most others, didnt get into punk rock because he was a happy/well-nourished kid.

really, i think hed be pleased she was considering something like acting in musicals.

ive always worried that shell one day feel as if shes living under a big shadow the world expects her to live up to. i think the most punk rock thing she could do, ever, is just be herself. shes her own person and doesnt deserve to be expected to live in her parents shoes.

i didnt get into punk rock because it was pretty. i got into punk rock because i hated almost everything about everything...i got into it BECAUSE it was ugly/noisy/brutal/"fuck you". i will not be ashamed if my child doesnt relate to that sorta thing, at all. matter of fact, if they did i might feel like a failure as a father.

still, glad i dont have kids.

i actually pretty much agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying here.

she has actually said in interviews that she wants people to wait to apply pre-conceived judgments onto her until she has done something valid w her own life.

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 03:49 PM

btw: here are some photos i found on google of her suicide-theme msi party

i remember wishing i looked that way when i was 16.

Toilet & Bowels 09.17.2009 03:51 PM

i'm inclined to believe kurt cobain lent a hand in writing the music for live through this, and i remain open minded as to whether he was murdered and who was responsible.

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm inclined to believe kurt cobain lent a hand in writing the music for pretty on the inside.

they were married in 92. pretty on the inside was released a year earlier.

still, i think that people make too big of a deal out of kurt influencing courtney. i mean seriously, they were married. i'm sure that there had to be some ideas that were exchanged. that's what happens when people live together.

my girlfriend is a musician and i've def helped her out with a couple of her songs. they are still "hers" - however, she's run them by me and i've made corrects and suggetions on lyrics/transistions etc.

Toilet & Bowels 09.17.2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notyourfiend
they were married in 92. pretty on the inside was released a year earlier.

still, i think that people make too big of a deal out of kurt influencing courtney. i mean seriously, they were married. i'm sure that there had to be some ideas that were exchanged. that's what happens when people live together.

my girlfriend is a musician and i've def helped her out with a couple of her songs. they are still "hers" - however, she's run them by me and i've made corrects and suggetions on lyrics/transistions etc.

sorry i meant live through this.

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
sorry i meant live through this

i'm sure it was.

who cares, i love that album. so much.

Toilet & Bowels 09.17.2009 04:30 PM

i don't care, i'm just stating my thoughts. the song olympia for example sounds like a swipe of aneurysm for example.

notyourfiend 09.17.2009 04:35 PM

^ i was not trying to be rude.

i seriously don't care who wrote that album. i love it. live through this was the first alternative rock cd i ever heard. it holds a special place in my heart.

Toilet & Bowels 09.17.2009 04:54 PM

well i liked that record (LTT) a lot at the time regardless of who wrote it, i still think it's ok. i haven't listened to pretty on the inside probably at least 12 or 13 years, all i can remember is the opening line to the first song. i'll pull it out again tonight.

Toilet & Bowels 09.17.2009 05:01 PM

my favourite nirvana songs:

01. big long now
01. sifting
02. big cheese
03. hairspray queen
04. aero zeppelin
05. aneurysym
06. mexican seafood
07. endless nameless
08. blew
09. breed
10. drain you
11. scoff
12. swap meet
13. gallons of rubbing alcohol roll through the strip
14. blandest
15. curmudgeon
16. stay away
17. mr moustache
18. tourettes
19. on a plain
20. very ape
21. milk it
22. i hate myself and i want to die
23. heart shaped box
24. marigold
25. territorial pissings
26. mv

also, the jam from the menu screen of the dvd that came in the with the lights out box set is great and probably belongs in my top 7.

ann ashtray 07.04.2010 02:50 AM

I'm not sure if I even have favorite Nirvana songs these days.

Occasionally, maybe twice a year, I'll spend a week or so sitting back listening over everything. Probably more nostalgia than anything (even though I still really enjoy the songs). I enjoy listening the progression that was taking place. From the punky teen-angst driven Bleach (Kurt's vocals are spectacular on that album...that scream still goes unmatched as far as I'm concerned), to the the slightly-more-pop Nevermind, to the "I'm angry at all the bullshit going on in my adult life" In Utero (Musically, they were obviously becoming a bit more experimental on that one), to the "fuck everything imma sing pretty for y'all 'cause I'm soon to be dead" Unplugged.

It's all good. Some songs are better than others (Sliver was never a favorite), but that Kurt...he could write some songs, man. Not the most unique band ever as far as the song writing itself was concerned, but Kurt had a shit-ton more charisma than most artists. He had a really interesting/unique way of presenting the music.

Nirvana is one of few bands I can sit back and enjoy watching live footage of.

They were the first band I ever took seriously ('94, same year Kurt killed himself), everything else I got into was a product of my appreciation for that band. Everything went crazy when I finally checked out Sonic Youth @ Kurt's suggestion.

Satan 07.04.2010 02:56 AM

lol these fucking courtney love arguments. i will always jump to participate int hem but i find it funny to all the cl detractors and critics... you are giving her what she wants, adding fuel to the attention seeking fire. talk is good, press is good, there is no such thing as bad press remember??? c an anyone even mention the name courtney lve without it sparking some kind of idiot debate whether shes a fit mother, did she do dope when she was pregnant, did she kill kurt, kurt wrote all her songs, no wait he couldnt have, could he??? i heard she hired el duce to wack kurDt for 50 grand, is she or isnt she smoking crack, how many abortions did she get last week, i heard she spent $$4309756305 of kurts money on bean's suicide party, HOW TASTELESS, which nosejob is she on now, her 11th??? puhleeeeze

oh yeah so the whole point of that was are we not over this bitch yet? i like hole but she has done nothing worthwhile in the last decade, save for provide us all with some reasons to point and laugh or shake our heads at

anyway these are not in a significant order

aneurysm
drain you
blandest
negative creep
i like swap meet a lot, and all apologies, and pretty much all of it

nirvana were just great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Cat Cunt

pahahahhahaahhahaaaaa

EVOLghost 07.04.2010 12:14 PM

Endless nameless
Radio Freidnly Unit shifter
Blew
Spank Thru (Off muddy banks)
Aneurysm ( off With the lights out)

EVOLghost 07.04.2010 12:15 PM

^that list is too hard.

I forgot Half of In Utero.

EVOLghost 07.04.2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Endless nameless
Radio Freidnly Unit shifter
Blew
Spank Thru (Off muddy banks)
Aneurysm ( off With the lights out)

to gad;gh
Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
hmmmm

endlesss nameless
radio friendly unit shifter
moist vagina
spank thru
lounge act?

I dunno. This is actually really hard for me.

pbradley 07.04.2010 12:39 PM

Negative Creep

Uh, can't think of any others, at the moment.

atsonicpark 07.04.2010 12:42 PM

1. marigold
2. scentless apprentice
3. d7 (wipers cover)
4. return of the rat (wipers cover)
5. man who sold the world (david bowie cover)

EVOLghost 07.04.2010 01:09 PM

^ funny story about Marigold.

I saw Foo Fighters live and I jokingly told my friend if they played any Nirvana I'd leave. They played Marigold.

atsonicpark 07.04.2010 02:21 PM

Well, Dave wrote the song...

EVOLghost 07.04.2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Well, Dave wrote the song...

I know that....but I really never expected it.

atsonicpark 07.04.2010 04:56 PM

I don't think they're a unique band, but I think Kurt's guitar playing was almost always really interesting (even on the more power chord driven songs). Heart Shaped Box and Lithium and Negative Creep have some pretty brilliant guitar playing..

amerikangod 07.04.2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerikangod
1. Endless, Nameless.
2. Drain You.
3. Negative Creep.
4. Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.
5. Scentless Apprentice (extended demo.)

Still this.

ann ashtray 08.02.2010 11:11 AM

Damn man, sometimes I really wish they coulda stuck around and kept writing music...

but more than anything, whenever I think about Kurt C., I think "You asshole, you didn't get to hear sonic nurse", and it makes me sad. I think he really woulda dug that one.

SONIC GAIL 08.02.2010 11:14 AM

Kurt was a shot of life for us. I can still remember the first time i saw that video....i still get up and thrash around like a teenager

atsonicpark 08.02.2010 11:42 AM

BLANDEST is my favorite song by them actually.

SONIC GAIL 08.02.2010 11:44 AM

FUCKIN BADD ASS song love it SOOOOOOO much

atsonicpark 08.02.2010 11:50 AM

YOU'RE MY FAV-OR-ITE!
OF MY SAVIORS!
YOU'RE MY FAVORITE
oh nooo
YOU'RE MY FAVORITE
OF MY FAVORS
YOU'RE MY RAZOR!
Oh nooooooooo

HEY

AND THE SITUATION WASN'T QUITE AS INTENSE AS I THOUGHT
I NEED YOU AROUND TO REMIND ME OF WHAT NOT TO BECOME
(though most lyrics sites say "when not to be calm" but I don't think that's right)

...so good.

atsonicpark 08.02.2010 11:53 AM

I really like Nirvana.

SONIC GAIL 08.02.2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
YOU'RE MY FAV-OR-ITE!
OF MY SAVIORS!
YOU'RE MY FAVORITE
oh nooo
YOU'RE MY FAVORITE
OF MY FAVORS
YOU'RE MY RAZOR!
Oh nooooooooo

HEY

AND THE SITUATION WASN'T QUITE AS INTENSE AS I THOUGHT
I NEED YOU AROUND TO REMIND ME OF WHAT NOT TO BECOME
(though most lyrics sites say "when not to be calm" but I don't think that's right)

...so good.

its "you remind me what not to become" ryan and i debated that for a few days best line ever written

SONIC GAIL 08.02.2010 12:01 PM

ok im pluggin in the headphones gotta hear it now its in my head

Dead-Air 08.02.2010 11:30 PM

Negative Creep
All Apologies
Love Buzz
Paper Cuts
Scentless Apprentice

Anngella 08.03.2010 05:19 AM

1. Milk It
2. Aero Zeppelin
3. Big Long Now
4. Endless, Nameless
5. Moist Vagina

I GUESS..

Jeremy 08.03.2010 05:08 PM

I was listening to some Nirvana yesterday, and I forgot how good of a song Even In His Youth is. The chorus has been stuck in my head all day.

~Jeremy~

Mortte Jousimo 08.05.2010 08:16 AM

1. All Apologies
2. Blew
3. About a Girl
4. Territorial Pissings
5. On a Plain

automatic bzooty 08.05.2010 09:05 PM

sliver
love buzz
negative creep
drain you