Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Swans (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23852)

Derek 11.26.2010 06:58 PM

Have you heard "Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt" and "Smile From The Streets You Hold" from Frusciante?

Fucked up music from a guy nearing death. Everything he plays on them is like a desolate lo-fi Captain Beefheart. Adam can vouch for the quality of those releases as well.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 06:59 PM

Yeah, they're perfect albums. Beefheart indeed -- I'd say it's almost as brilliant as anything the Magic Band did, and that is definitely nothing I EVER say.

atsonicpark 11.26.2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
Am i the only one who thought My Father... was a bit of a let down?

Yeah, I thought it was pretty crappy at first. But after about 5 listens to it, I like it just fine.

Everyneurotic 11.26.2010 07:13 PM

I listened to it twice already, the second time only worsened everything.

It's Swans and Gira (more Gira than anyone, actually), so i'm not giving up on them. It's just that the last AoL was so brilliant, i didn't expect to be digging for gold on this one.

DanielCarlson 11.28.2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

It's Swans and Gira (more Gira than anyone, actually), so i'm not giving up on them. It's just that the last AoL was so brilliant, i didn't expect to be digging for gold on this one.

Oh, you think so? I think the last AoL album easily is the worst album they've done. It's good, but not anywhere near "How I Loved You" or "New Mother". For me, My Father... is a huge step up from that one.

Genteel Death 11.28.2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

I listened to it twice already, the second time only worsened everything.

You can't give up on Swans. It just feels wrong. This record shouldn't be simply compared to the others, leave that practice to shit music journalists with too much time in their hands.

DanielCarlson 11.28.2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
You can't give up on Swans. It just feels wrong. This record shouldn't be simply compared to the others, leave that practice to shit music journalists with too much time in their hands.

Well said. I hate all the talk about that "they don't sound like Swans!" or "they're not Swans without Jarboe!" or whatever. Things change, and it's not like all of their previous records were similiar to each other either. People should stop living in the past and just take the record for what it is.

Genteel Death 11.28.2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
Well said. I hate all the talk about that "they don't sound like Swans!" or "they're not Swans without Jarboe!" or whatever. Things change, and it's not like all of their previous records were similiar to each other either. People should stop living in the past and just take the record for what it is.

For real. One of the worst things that has ever happened to music is the idea of timing when it comes to playing it. It's lame, post-modern cynical garbage that only applies in few cases where it's clear everything has been said better already.

washer 07.15.2011 07:57 PM

http://thequietus.com/articles/06593-swans-michael-gira

New album details.

Genteel Death 07.17.2011 06:24 AM

Josie Wretch: How does Michael Gira feel about the gays?

Michael Gira: "the gays" ? - gotta love 'em!

hipster_bebop_junkie 02.02.2012 02:34 PM

Bump.

Swans' live album, "We Rose From Your Bed With The Sun In Our Head", is now out:
http://www.younggodrecords.com/home/...live-cd-bundle

blunderbuss 02.02.2012 02:52 PM

OPTIONS TO BUY LIVE 2XCD AND TO HELP SUPPORT NEW SWANS STUDIO ALBUM TITLED “THE SEER” IN PROGRESS:

1. buy hand made web only 2x live swans cd with original signed and numbered woodblock print sleeve made from drawing by m.gira - $30
2. as above AND RECEIVE 2xcd deluxe digi-pack signed version of Swans The Seer immediately upon release: $45
3. as in option 1 AND RECEIVE 2xcd deluxe digi-pack signed version of Swans The Seer, website/tour exclusive package that includes live swans dvd from 2010/11 tours - $55
4. OPTION 3 AND RECEIVE “executive producer” credit in upcoming swans studio album - $100
5. OPTION 3, AND 4 PLUS an original unique drawing by m.gira dedicated to customer - $150
6. OPTION 3, AND 4, 5 PLUS be on guest list and meet band for one show on upcoming swans tour(s) 2012/13 - $175
7. OPTION 3, AND 4, 5, 6, plus, AND YES THIS IS REAL m.gira will record a simple, short, original song, acoustic guitar and voice, with customers’ name in the song, praising the customer, and send customer an mp3 of the song - $500
8. OPTION 3, AND 4, 5, 6, 7 and contribute an additional $100 or more over option 7, and receive undying gratitude, and a secret gift.

YOUR PURCHASE OF ANY OF THE ABOVE OPTIONS CONTRIBUTES DIRECTLY TOWARDS THE CONSIDERABLE (AND EVER EXPANDING) RECORDING COST OF THE NEW SWANS STUDIO ALBUM, THE SEER, IN PROGRESS)

TRACK LISTING: disc one: 1. intro/no words no thoughts 2. jim 3. beautiful child 4. the apostate 5. yr property 6. sex god sex disc two: 1. the seer (intro)/ i crawled 2. eden prison 3. 93 ave. b blues / little mouth... demos/special website only recordings: 4. hello there 5. lunacy 6. the mother of the world 7. the daughter brings the water 8. a piece of the sky 9. the seer 10. goodbye.

SWANS: michael gira - guitar, vocal; norman westerg - guitar; phil puleo - drums, duclimer; thor harris - drums/percussion, vibes, clarinet, melodica, violin; christoph hahn - double lap steel guitar; christopher pravdica - bass.

I was initially pretty excited about this, but the $37 including shipping to Europe cost for the basic package is a bit offputting.

sonic sphere 02.02.2012 04:58 PM

7. OPTION 3, AND 4, 5, 6, plus, AND YES THIS IS REAL m.gira will record a simple, short, original song, acoustic guitar and voice, with customers’ name in the song, praising the customer, and send customer an mp3 of the song - $500

wtf?
oh sonic sphere, oh sonic sphere how delicious your all-consuming cock tastes.
well worth the price! :p

hipster_bebop_junkie 02.02.2012 08:25 PM

It's now sold-out, judging by a post by Swans on facemook. Glad I managed to snag my copy.

hipster_bebop_junkie 04.03.2012 04:37 PM

Michael sent me an advance copy of "The Seer", the new Swans album. I heard it in its entirety last night.
I'm very pleased with it and the songs where I did background vocals sounded ...well sounded like SWANS. Some tears rolled down my face in sheer joy. I am so happy to have contributed in some way to this album. It meant a lot to me.
X,

J.

Stolen from Jarboe's facemook.

Genteel Death 07.26.2012 04:40 PM

Listen to a 10-Minute Edit of Swans' New 23-Minute Song "The Apostate"

http://pitchfork.com/news/47255-list...-the-apostate/

Genteel Death 07.26.2012 04:50 PM

Audio: Michael Gira tells chatty audience members to get off his lawn

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2..._shut_u p.php

Genteel Death 07.31.2012 02:35 PM

Artwork for ''The Seer''.

Skuj 12.03.2012 10:29 PM

Fuck me, The Seer has blown me the fuck away, and it is the first thing I ever listened to by The Swans. Surely it deserves way more discussion and dissection than this? Are any of the other Swans albums comparable? I'm shocked that this is a "comeback" for them.....most comebacks suck.

pad_023 12.04.2012 07:22 AM

I think Soundtracks for the Blind is probably comparable and not just because it's a double album.
It was probably a more ambitious record than the seer in terms of diversity of sound.
The Seer to me sounds like it was recorded to be seen live.
Which is not a bad thing of course, it's a fantastic record.
However, soundtracks for the blind was more out there in terms of experimentation.
They cover a lot of ground on it and is a mightily impressive album.

Skuj 12.04.2012 03:32 PM

Thanks.

Severian 12.04.2012 06:37 PM

I'm just glad I'm seeing so many people getting into the Swans for the first time after hearing this album. Not counting the people on this board who've said as much, I have a number of friends who claim they never really listened to the band until now.

I would probably rank it above soundtracks, but that may still be due to the novelty of it. Time will tell. But heading into December, it has more or less guaranteed itself a top three position for me.

batreleaser 12.05.2012 08:04 AM

Swans Music Hall of Williamsburg show, originally cancelled due to fuckin Sandy, rescheduled for February 4

TheMadcapLaughs 12.05.2012 12:52 PM

where do you guys recommend one would start with the swans album-wise?

h8kurdt 12.05.2012 02:15 PM

The Seer. Yes it is that good.

the ikara cult 12.05.2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
where do you guys recommend one would start with the swans album-wise?

My father will guide me up a rope to the sky. I havent got The Seer yet but its length is probably an issue for a first time listener.
Of the earlier stuff, you cant go wrong with Cop or Filth.

Skuj 12.06.2012 01:02 AM

I know this is wrong but I keep listening to CD1 of Seer over and over again, and I'm waiting to get into CD2 at a later date. CD2 will act as a kind of bonus CD to end all bonus CDs. If the album ended at CD1 I'd give it 5 stars. It is so perfectly paced and realized. I keep dreaming that Sonic Youth reunite in 2018 and put out this recording. The 32min title track has a very Sonic Youth vibe to it imho.

Skuj 12.07.2012 01:02 AM

No album is perfect. That Karen O song should have ended the album, fuck.

Blood_Promise 01.13.2013 04:46 AM

I find the 2nd CD of The Seer to be a little better as it has The Apostate, might I say the best Swans studio recorded song since perhaps The Sound. (and you should listen to the vinyl tracklisting, flows much much better)

Recently I've been on a Swans live album mania. 'Swans Are Dead' is unbelievable. Phenomenal live renditions, most better than studio versions, like Blood Promise, hence my username. And Jarboe absolutely beats Gira on I Crawled.

Severian 01.13.2013 11:24 AM

Someone just asked me this yesterday, and I told him to work from the Seer back. Or to just pick up Seer and Soundtracks for the Blind, and if he was into it, go wherever the wind took him from there.

E. Noisefield 01.13.2013 02:21 PM

The Great Annihilator popped my cherry, but it didn't turn me into a fan off the bat. maybe start with the seer b/c it's everybody's favorite thing in the world right now, so you'll be in on the discussion??

Blood_Promise 01.13.2013 02:25 PM

I think you can't go wrong with Children of God as an introduction. It has a bit of everything. From teeth clenching to soft beautiful tunes.

batreleaser 01.13.2013 02:46 PM

I still love Cop the mostest. Beyond that, the last two albums are my favorite.

hipster_bebop_junkie 01.15.2013 09:50 PM

This was posted to Jarboe's facebook:

Focusing on the history, Jarboe has asked me to announce the following: 7 January 2013 England. Harry Crosby bass player on Filth, Cop, etc... has died. "The first 'Swan' has died" she said to me last night...

- Moselle

Nefeli 11.13.2013 04:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02FtEjZ8T_Q
this account has several old full shows on.