Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wow, a thread about noise? No WAY! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16752)

sarramkrop 10.02.2007 10:42 AM

Actually, watching Jesus And Mary Chain on tv as a kid might have had something to do with it too, but they got me more into stuff like the shoegaze thing and, somehow, a big portion of the American bands that then I became obsessive for, like Mudhoney etc etc. Bizarrely enough, Sonic Youth involountarily lead me towards all those Australian bands like New Christs, The Scientists etc etc.

sarramkrop 10.02.2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I got into noise to be cool.

I was cool before I heard the noise, so I didn't have to worry about that.

HaydenAsche 10.02.2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I was cool before I heard the noise, so I didn't have to worry about that.

I was too but I needed to be even more indie and pretentious so I started listening to bands that no one had ever heard of. I had to fit in by not fitting in. Ya dig?

I also did it for the money and the bitches.

Everyneurotic 10.02.2007 10:44 AM

i got into making noise from syr4: goodbye 20th century. actually, when i heard wolf eyes a few weeks after recording my first "noise" piece, i thought they had ripped me off! of course, i soon discovered what i did was nothing new, i still don't think what i do is new, it's just a different interpretation, what i want to hear in noise that i don't hear in anyone else.

speaking of dead machines and hair police, their split is some of the best work either band has done. hell!! i think dead machines' side of the split is their only good recording.

HaydenAsche 10.02.2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
speaking of dead machines and hair police, their split is some of the best work either band has done. hell!! i think dead machines' side of the split is their only good recording.

I love that split too, man. I'm going to listen to that shit when I get home.

alyasa 10.02.2007 10:48 AM

I got into noise beacuase of the Sonic Youth Gossip Message Board. (Actually Alec Empire and Merzbow)

sarramkrop 10.02.2007 10:48 AM

I was a bitch before I started listening to noise, but now that I did I'm even more a bitch than I was before.

SynthethicalY 10.02.2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alyasa
I got into noise beacuase of the Sonic Youth Gossip Message Board.

Me too. But I can only listen to the more lighter side of it.

Rob Instigator 10.02.2007 10:52 AM

I am waiting for anoise act to create quiet pretty noise, as oppose to the factory floor repetetive skronk

sarramkrop 10.02.2007 10:54 AM

I want Paris Hilton to make a noise record.

HaydenAsche 10.02.2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am waiting for anoise act to create quiet pretty noise, as oppose to the factory floor repetetive skronk

There are acts that are very soft and pretty and still incorporate noise.

Xiu Xiu & Picastro spring to mind.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.02.2007 10:56 AM

she did.

Rob Instigator 10.02.2007 10:56 AM

if you had hit record on that tape deck when I was plowing through ol' Paris's famous gina, you could have sold that "noise" for thousands!

Rob Instigator 10.02.2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
There are acts that are very soft and pretty and still incorporate noise.

Xiu Xiu & Picastro spring to mind.

I love those, but they are at best noise-rock, not flat out noise guys. I am talking about the boring ass just noise guys

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.02.2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
if you had hit record on that tape deck when I was plowing through ol' Paris's famous gina, you could have sold that "noise" for thousands!

It's that bad huh?

sarramkrop 10.02.2007 11:01 AM

Imagine the picture of Merzbow coming out of a Nobu restaurant with Paris in tow splattered all over the tabloids.

Everyneurotic 10.02.2007 11:04 AM

quiet, pretty noise? there's stuff by francisco lopez, astro, cornucopia in bits, mouthus' follow this house, hototogisu and yellow swans to name a few. not all of their stuff but they have stuff that's quiet and/or pretty.

the goslings go from very oppresive flat out noise to beautiful tonalities.

sarramkrop 10.02.2007 11:10 AM

Well, if you include stuff like Francisco Lopez, who is mainly a field recorder, then Pita can claim some playful right to the altar of noise. He is thrown into the electronica scene because of some of the people that he played with, but some of his records aren't that different from the stuff that gets put out by noisemakers. He's just better at it than most.

Everyneurotic 10.02.2007 11:15 AM

genres are all relative.

sure, pita can be included in the noise thing, i consider him more electronic though.

francisco lópez, yes field recorder, but he processes that to create other stuff, some of it's oppresively harsh and some of it oppresively blissful. it's all relative; i saw him live (well, 'see' is not the right word) and he takes you on an amazing journey.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.02.2007 11:20 AM

nm.