Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Albums that you generally think that only yourself knows (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14268)

Glice 07.01.2007 07:58 AM

I found a Herb Alpert LP in a charity shop (thrift store, for our American friends) and thought it was one of those LPs that sold nothing. Turns out Herb was huge like a mountain.

Meanwhile, I've also got a 40s/50s UK jazz compilation called Homemade Jam 2 which is one of my favourite records (and if a certain bandmate of mine is reading, I want it back you fucker). If anyone sees the first edition, buy it and I'll pay you back handsomely.

EDIT: Turns out it's from 1936/8. Crikey. If anyone can read The language of this website I'd be most grateful to know what it's saying.

EDIT 2: Don't worry, there's actually an English section. Excellent. Well, I shall report back as to whether the first edition is any good once it arrives in my mail box. Oh, happy days.

Also, David Munrow's 'Instruments of the middle ages and renaissance' is pretty spectacular. It's quite an important LP amongst early music afficionnados, but not so much amongst you lot (or anyone else I know), I suspect. One day I'll be amongst the echelons of early music collectors, you mark my words.

king_buzzo 07.01.2007 08:31 AM

atsonicpark 07.01.2007 08:40 AM

yeah man flying testicle are my shit also!

demonrail666 07.01.2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicSam
Do you have any links where I can download this?

I've never seen it around for download, but I'll look out for it. Mine is a vinyl copy so i could do with getting it on disc myself.

atsonicpark 07.01.2007 09:28 AM

distorted pony - instant winner

just heard this today.

fucklin great!

pokkeherrie 07.01.2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
EDIT: Turns out it's from 1936/8. Crikey. If anyone can read The language of this website I'd be most grateful to know what it's saying.

EDIT 2: Don't worry, there's actually an English section. Excellent. Well, I shall report back as to whether the first edition is any good once it arrives in my mail box. Oh, happy days.

Sounds like you already ordered, but if still necessary then I can read that language. The moving text in red mentions something about getting half-price when you're buying 6 LPs or more.

king_buzzo 07.01.2007 10:31 AM

atsonicpark 07.01.2007 10:45 AM

HAHA man i love unsane too.

i love all that shit, as i already posted.. enemy mine, cutthroats 9, theory of ruin, cherubs, fudge tunnel.. that insane noise rock...

unsane made it cool to scream through a distorted guitar amp and to put dead people on your album covers..

Cardinal Rob 07.01.2007 10:47 AM

I had Flying Testicle too, but didn't enjoy it and deleted it.

A few uber-obscure 7"s I acquired at 13:
Bagpipe Operation - Mt. Lavaty
The Sellouts - Hey Mofo
D.Q.E. - Masturbation Made a Mess Out of Me
Thee S.T.P. - Johnny Danger
etc. etc.

SYRFox 07.01.2007 11:38 AM

Gomm - Destroyed to Perfection
Gomm - 4

sonicl 07.01.2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
In my days of obsessions with Glasgow indie, I really liked Electroscope.

Edit: who, in retrospect, may have only been associated with a Glasgow label. I'm not that fastiduous a collector.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Electroscope=full-on aceness. Beautiful, imaginative, original stuff. I have 2 LPs and a 45 by them. One of the LPs came with a kite and a shopping bag. Great stuff, definitely underrated/underappreciated

Do you know if they released anything else besides the first 2 LPs and the 45?

Toddle on over to Boa Melody Bar, run by Gayle from Electroscope.

Everyneurotic 07.01.2007 12:17 PM

i love hood, unsane, flying testicle and crom tech.

been meaning to check out goon moon.

actually:

i know a lot of people who like orthrelm but everybody seems to not like this album (except the dude who ranked it at 50 on bitchfork's 50 albums of '05) and it's probably the best album of the '00s.

Cardinal Rob 07.01.2007 12:20 PM

My friend's really into OV. I haven't heard it myself.

Glice 07.01.2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Toddle on over to Boa Melody Bar, run by Gayle from Electroscope.

Many thans, Mr L. 'Twas through yonder Boa records' 'Noises from the sound cupboard' compilation I first heard electroscope. There was a handful of other good tunes on there an' all.

king_buzzo 07.01.2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
HAHA man i love unsane too.

i love all that shit, as i already posted.. enemy mine, cutthroats 9, theory of ruin, cherubs, fudge tunnel.. that insane noise rock...

unsane made it cool to scream through a distorted guitar amp and to put dead people on your album covers..

haha *does scene from Austin Powers* 'were not so different, you and i...'

Steve Turner-New Wave Punk Asshole.

king_buzzo 07.01.2007 01:39 PM

Also, I've dont think anyone knows The Charlottes

^haha awesome grammar!!! i was gonna write something else but then changed it

HaydenAsche 07.01.2007 02:24 PM

7 Year Rabbit Cycle
Parenthetical Girls
Hot Guys, Cool Girls
XXL
Gospel Gossip
Dirty Projectors

atsonicpark 07.01.2007 03:44 PM

ov is the only orthrelm i can listen to...

anyway:

miracle chosuke - 7/8 wonders of the world
phantom limbs - displacement

sarramkrop 07.02.2007 03:22 AM

I've never met a single person who knows this chap. It's pronounced 'Reeton', the French slang for Henry.

Bertrand 07.02.2007 04:25 AM

I also have a record by sixties British band the Primitives. Album named Maladjusted.
I bought it for there was a version of the Stangeloves' Cara-Lin on it (does anyone else know the Strangeloves?).
It is quite hilariously awful. As awful as the cover.
My reason for keeping it is not that they performed Cara-Lin nicely, they failed at that, but... somehow, as they became "big" in Italy, they sang rock standards in Italian.
That's why I kept the CD, for that terrible accent carried by the powerful voice of a hunk who thought he was a superstar.
Judge by yourself, downloading this :
Gira, gira (Reach out) http://www.badongo.com/file/3619983