Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best Concert You Saw This Year ? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18463)

sonicl 12.31.2007 03:52 AM

Cowboy Junkies' acoustic show at Union Chapel, London gets beaten into a very close second by Boredoms at Shoreditch Town Hall, London

Moshe 12.31.2007 11:11 AM

Faust and Om blew my mind this year. Peter Brotzmann full blast trio were good too.

andrei 12.31.2007 12:06 PM

Tuba Project (Bob Stewart | Alex Harding | Lucian Ban | Derrek Phillips | Bruce Williams)

A Thousand Threads 12.31.2007 12:17 PM

Boredoms
Om
Tigrova Mast
KTL
Sunn O)))
Current 93
Julia Kent
Otto von Schirach (the more i think about that show the more i like it, ha)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.02.2008 09:50 PM

The first concert of 2008

Sister Nancy and Ranking Joe new year's eve. that ol woman still gots it I swear... I dont even like fucking dancehalls and I had a blast!

m1rr0r dash 01.06.2008 02:41 PM

late entry that did manage to trump my previous choice of the sonic youth show in marfa, tx ---> the bouncing souls top 40 christmas countdown shows (picked by and in the order voted on by their fans on the internet!) at the stone pony in asbury park, nj on dec 27 and 28. i only got to see the first show, which was 40-21, but my brother and i both thought they played a lot of the songs we would have put in the top 20, including "shark attack," which they've never played live before!

after the show they were handing out christmas cards from the band:

hookman 01.07.2008 07:44 AM

The best gigs i went to were
Sonic youth: live at the roundhouse
Toots and the maytals: Live bristol harbourside

batreleaser 01.08.2008 12:19 AM

i saw tons of shows this year but i saw melt bananna twice, and they really are fucking phenomenal live. last tine i saw them was in tucson and me and my buddy pablo were two inches away from agata and his sick as effects. they truly are a band that is far better live than on record, despite their records also being great. other shows i dug this yeah were pig destroyer, sightings, om, pissed jeans, dino jr (just watching j shred is epic), mindflayer, animal collective, oxbow, municipal waste, wu tang clan, thurston, prurient, mastodon, mf doom, and uhhhh there werre lots of other good ones those were the ones that stick out tho

gmku 01.08.2008 12:21 AM

The Stones, 1969 footage in Gimme Shelter from their Madison Square Garden gigs.

flophousefloozie 01.08.2008 12:39 AM

Definately Boredoms. Blew me away.

koolthing78 01.08.2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cellscape
I think there seems to be a direct correlation between the best shows I saw and the best drugs I took.

That's funny. I hate to say it's true, but it kind of is (though I don't really use a wide variety of chemicals). But you know, getting into the appropriate mindset to fully experience the band (like when I saw The Breeders, drunk as hell (me AND Kim) at Little Brother's in Columbus a few years ago). Not being much of a concert goer (I have a thing about peeing in public, among other issues) I only went to one show this year, but it ranks among the best I've ever seen. Yo La Tengo at the State Theater in St. Pete just blew my mind. Now *those* are some talented performers!

Everyneurotic 01.08.2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1rr0r dash
...the stone pony in asbury park, nj...

my cousin got into a fight with a security dickhead there last summer.

...good times...

drrrtyboots 01.08.2008 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koolthing78
Yo La Tengo at the State Theater in St. Pete just blew my mind. Now *those* are some talented performers!

An amazing live band. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see them play their Hannukah shows :(

Florya 01.08.2008 05:29 PM

Didn't get to many but a couple stand out.

TG at tate Modern
Nurse With Wound at Queen Elizabeth Hall

Most disappointing?

UNKLE at The Roundhouse

Rob Instigator 01.08.2008 05:54 PM

the sebadoh reunion show! I had fortgotten about this! Houston was their second to last stop on the tour and they were exhausted and played at a small dive here in Houston and it was fucking GREAT! They played for a long time and Gaffney, Barlow, and Lowenstein each played all instruments and sang different songs! That shit was awesome!!!! plus I got in for free. (five-fingered discounted a wristband about 30 mins before doors opened, and just walked on in an hour later.)

video
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...sebadoh042.flv

fugazifan 01.09.2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
Faust and Om blew my mind this year. Peter Brotzmann full blast trio were good too.

which faust show were you at? i was at the friday one, and while it was cool, i was not blown away...