Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 04:38 AM

ZEROpumpkins 06.16.2009 06:33 AM

I've changed how I look at music over the past year, I like to think. I don't think it's really fair to say any band sucks, the most mature thing to do if you do not like a musician or a band is to accept that just because you don't like them doesn't make them bad. It's all a matter of perspective.

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 07:19 AM

Well, I've always thought like that. I can recognize good qualities in every band. I still think some bands outright SUCK FUCKING ASS, though. I mean, I'm sure some serial killers have good qualities -- they still can go fuck off for all I care.

I'm just kidding. But you know what I mean.

loubarret 06.16.2009 07:21 AM

I dig to much british Nme indierock

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 07:22 AM

ZEROpumpkins 06.16.2009 07:28 AM

Nice

noisereductions 06.16.2009 07:32 AM

1. Animal Collective is brilliant
2. Frank Zappa is great
3. I read Pitchfork every day

bring it

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 07:33 AM

I don't think many people would disagree with those 3 nr.

I personally don't like Pitchfork, specifically their reviews, but their news section would be worth reading if they covered bands I cared for. I also think Animal Collective keeps getting more and more boring. And I am not a huge Zappa fan -- but he's definitely a genius. I actually love a few of his albums and 200 Motels quite a bit, I just think he has far too many albums I don't care for. JAZZ FROM HELL, WEASELS, and MONEY are all brilliant though.

loubarret 06.16.2009 07:35 AM

Pitchfork sucks but I read NME.

So where even.

I agree at both other points(only AM new album is a let down)

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 07:52 AM

This is probably the best musical video ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T29Lqpi2RQ
diamanda galas - double barrel prayer

Shifty Prophet 06.16.2009 08:16 AM

i have always thought Televison were overrated, or perhaps mis-rated. If I was going to rated them by relevance and influence then yes their rating would be more or less fair. BUT, if I were to rate them on actual musical creativity,dynamics, and excitement then it would be far lesser cry of genius.

I like em', some of the songs, well I love 'em but honestly, they tend to get boring rather quick.

noisereductions 06.16.2009 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't think many people would disagree with those 3 nr.

I personally don't like Pitchfork, specifically their reviews, but their news section would be worth reading if they covered bands I cared for. I also think Animal Collective keeps getting more and more boring. And I am not a huge Zappa fan -- but he's definitely a genius. I actually love a few of his albums and 200 Motels quite a bit, I just think he has far too many albums I don't care for. JAZZ FROM HELL, WEASELS, and MONEY are all brilliant though.

Pitchfork reviews do basically suck (or rather, I disagree with them a lot), but I still read them for some reason. But I read a lot of reviews (allmusic, prefix, allaboutjazz, etc). So whatever. The Pfork news section is so much better now that they moved the tour dates to its own section. I was so sick of the news constantly being "_________ starts tour today"

I've been an AC fan for a long time, and it seems there's 2 kinds of us. Ther'es me who loves MPP and you that thinks it's boring. I hate Danse Manatee personally. But I appreciate what they were trying to do. I really think they're a great band though. And they always keep me excited to see what's next.

Zappa is great, but yes there's albums I love and albums I don't. ONLY IN IT, SHIP ARRIVING, for instance I f'ing love. APOSTROPHE i think is kind of silly and stupid. But that's the chance you take when a discography is nearly 100 albums. Right? I'd rather have 100 albums to dig thru and make up my mind about than have a band that put out 3 geat albums and called it quits. That's just how I am.

loubarret 06.16.2009 08:22 AM

I don't like Television that much either, I never can listen to Marque Moon longer then 20 minutes.

I do like Richard Hell's later stuff(Blank genartion and the heartbreakers) way better.

atsonicpark 06.16.2009 08:26 AM

Count me as another non-Television fan, though some of the guitar interplay on Marquee Moon is amazing of course.

Trasher02 06.16.2009 08:29 AM

I personally love Television though I can see why some people don't like them. I think it's one of those hate the or love them bands.

Antagon 06.16.2009 08:31 AM

I like the new Marilyn Manson album "The High End of Low"

SuperCreep 06.16.2009 08:31 AM

-Combat Rock is a great album.
-I'm starting to enjoy De La Soul Is Dead, Buhloone Mindstate, and Stakes Is High a lot more than 3 Feet High and Rising.
-Days of Future Passed is fantastic and absolutely slaughters Sgt. Pepper's. The Moody Blues in general kick ass.

loubarret 06.16.2009 08:35 AM

Combat rock is just awsome, the clas on poptour is great and should Should I Stay Or Should I Go is a great catchy popsong

This Is Not Here 06.16.2009 09:28 AM

-I love Genesis
-I really do not like MOST british post-punk
-I love The Fall, but I don't like early Fall

noisereductions 06.16.2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
-I'm starting to enjoy De La Soul Is Dead, Buhloone Mindstate, and Stakes Is High a lot more than 3 Feet High and Rising.

Probably because they're all better albums.