Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

pbradley 08.15.2007 04:30 AM

Brandon Cruz-fronted Dead Kennedys is way superior to Biafra's.

psych!

Toilet & Bowels 08.15.2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Too bad. I haven't listened to music in a long, long time but only to the sound of the wind and the noise made by my shoes stepping in dog poo. Free-form enviromental sounds are so much better than those created by mere mortals.

indeed, music is so contrived, i prefer to listen to the music that naturaly arises from chance ambient sounds in my environment

Glice 08.15.2007 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
indeed, music is so contrived, i prefer to listen to the music that naturaly arises from chance ambient sounds in my environment

I had my inner-ears removed - now I hear the environment the real way, like Beethoven: by feeling it. I particularly like tube stations for this reason.

Glice 08.15.2007 04:42 AM

Oh, and you speaking people really miss out on songs that are signed - that's the real way to understand lyrics.

sarramkrop 08.15.2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I had my inner-ears removed - now I hear the environment the real way, like Beethoven: by feeling it. I particularly like tube stations for this reason.

I am a tree, so fuck off, you twat.

Glice 08.15.2007 04:43 AM

I liked this post. There are parts I disagree with, but generally it's the right idea. I particularly liked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iskandertime
The Beatles (OK, they're not that bad, it just erks me that the same people who make fun of Elvis's soundtracks give crap like "Octpus's Garden" or wine and cheese muzak like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" a free pass)[...]

And:

Quote:

The White Stripes (I was over the whole "two person Punk Rock Jug Band" thing after hearing The Revelators, Bantam Rooster, The Bassholes, The Workdogs, Deja Voodoo, and etc. The Flat Duo Jets were the best, and The W.S. don't mesure up.

This last bit particularly. I started listening to John Peel in about 1994 or so, and I remember him playing about a million bands that were near-identical to the Stripes - pared down garage/blues/pop sung by white guys with really, really thin voices. I thought all of them were shite, and it utterly mystifies me as to why the Stripes are popular. I remember watching them on some channel 4 programme with my Mum who couldn't stop laughing at how bad his singing was. She had tears streaming down her eyes by the end of it, it was a beautiful moment. "People don't take this seriously, do they?" "Yes Mum, they're very popular." Cue more laughter. And my Mum's got a great taste in music. Winner.

Glice 08.15.2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

I am a tree, so fuck off, you twat.

I'm the fucking sun you noob. rac[unt]ist.

Toilet & Bowels 08.15.2007 04:53 AM

i listen to music by forcing objects (e.g. a broom and some door keys) in through one ear hole and then out the other side, my inner ears are so developed that they calculate the musical properties of whatever objects and then feed that information to my brain which uses said info to create the ultimate sound equations, and no one else will ever hear them!

sarramkrop 08.15.2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

I'm the fucking sun you noob. rac[unt]ist.

Tough shit, Mr Sun. I, The Big Bang, threw your sorry self near this planet so that you could illuminate this bunch of turds. You owe me your very own existence.

Glice 08.15.2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Tough shit, Mr Sun. I, The Big Bang, threw your sorry self near this planet so that you could illuminate this bunch of turds. You owe me your very own existence.

Yeah, whatever. Didn't you know I, the sun (or sol to my friends) am a Christian and therefore don't believe in you? Look at Earth - there's still monkeys around. If monkeys still exist, how can the big bang possibly be true, eh?

SynthethicalY 08.15.2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

Glice beat me to it.

Torn Curtain 08.15.2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i like led zeppelin a whole lot which seems to me like it'd probably be an unpopular opinion on this board.

If Led Zeppelin have strong defaults (the sexism, the weak lyrics and the pompousness) they still rock (there's a strong cohesion between the band members and their music is well crafted and varied).

Torn Curtain 08.15.2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

I don't like:Neil Young (just sounds like The Eagals to me, fake summer of love bullshit, perfect for jock keg parties.

That may not true for the early Neil Young but surely not for the Neil Young of On the beach and Tonight's the night.

sarramkrop 08.15.2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

Yeah, whatever. Didn't you know I, the sun (or sol to my friends) am a Christian and therefore don't believe in you? Look at Earth - there's still monkeys around. If monkeys still exist, how can the big bang possibly be true, eh?

Hello, I'm Mrs Theory! Problems?

ZEROpumpkins 08.15.2007 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i like the pixies which seems to be an unpopular opinion here not that i really give two shits what anyone thinks of my taste in music

I don't think that too many people here don't like the Pixies.

racehorse 08.15.2007 07:46 AM

my potentially unpopular musical opinions:

free improvisation is probably the greatest, most sophisticated and artistically supreme form of music. (and i'm not just talking about western free improv i.e anything from 1970s bailey/parker/bennick onward, i mean improvisation in all cultures and time periods, from korean sanjo to outer hebridean gaelic psalm singing to contemporary free improv, free jazz and electronic noise acts)
gamelan music is fantastic.
the pixies make brilliant rock music. my favourite album is "come on pilgrim" & the peel sessions are great.
talking about musicians being "talented" or "untalented" when discussing the musical/artistic worth of music is superflous. why is a concert pianist labelled as "talented" by the fierce majority of listeners for accurately following sheets of music that have been played in the same way for 300 years, when a saxophonist playing solo, freely improvised music utilising bizarre, high-pitched, warbling, atonal and previously unheard of sounds is labelled as "untalented" by the same critics? having more or less "talent" (if talent even exists) bears no correlation to the value or quality of the music in the slightest, and the whole concept of "talent" is completely man made.

Toilet & Bowels 08.15.2007 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
when a saxophonist playing solo, freely improvised music utilising bizarre, high-pitched, warbling, atonal and previously unheard of sounds is labelled as "untalented" by the same critics? having more or less "talent" (if talent even exists) bears no correlation to the value or quality of the music in the slightest, and the whole concept of "talent" is completely man made.

once you've been to a few free improv gigs you'll see those "previously unheard sounds" are only previously unheard if you didn't go to any free improv gigs before, i.e. there are are only so many squeaky scratchy noises that eddie prevost and his lackeys can ellicit from their instruments before they all start to sound the same.

however, generally, i know what you're saying, if someone has mastery over their chosen instrument and a degree of imagination the sky is the limit.

racehorse 08.15.2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

once you've been to a few free improv gigs you'll see those "previously unheard sounds" are only previously unheard if you didn't go to any free improv gigs before, i.e. there are are only so many squeaky scratchy noises that eddie prevost and his lackeys can ellicit from their instruments before they all start to sound the same.

yeah, i understand, but that is on a completely different scale to the pianist playing a baroque piece on the piano, where the 300 year old harmony has become so ingrained in the human consciousness that you can hum the next chord change a bar before it happens.
now, i'm not saying that that is entirely a bad thing, but when discussing predictability, free improv is in a completely different ball park.

Glice 08.15.2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

however, generally, i know what you're saying, if someone has mastery over their chosen instrument and a degree of imagination the sky is the limit.

I concur; free improv can be the very worst of boring, lifeless, stoic bollocks. It can also be life-affirmingly brilliant, but not terribly often.

Rob Instigator 08.15.2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
why is a concert pianist labelled as "talented" by the fierce majority of listeners for accurately following sheets of music that have been played in the same way for 300 years, .

pure and simple ignorance on yr part my friend, and I do not mean that as an insult, just as a statement of your lack of knowledge on this musical issue.

If you were to hear 20 recordings of beethoven's Violin concerto you would hear 20 different interpretations of the sheet music you assume they all follow by rote.
A concert violinist that can play this music as if it was just written, bringing vibrancy and showing nuances that others had not explored is something to be treasured, and is most aassuredly BRILLIANT and TALENTED.