Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unpopular Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=972)

ZEROpumpkins 08.12.2007 07:16 AM

Bump, this thread is good fun.

I don't care what anyone says, Pearl Jam fucking rock and still do.

Onani Nic 08.12.2007 09:00 AM

Some bands play, Manowar Kill!

SynthethicalY 08.12.2007 10:48 AM

I think indie-kids are not very much appreciative of music, but more concern about being hip. In other words most indie-kids suck balls.

sellouteater 08.12.2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I think indie-kids are not very much appreciative of music, but more concern about being hip. In other words most indie-kids suck balls.

:Dha most everyone on here is an indie kid trying to prove there the most hip

edit: and if you deny it with a big insightful exsplanation it just further proves my piont

Savage Clone 08.12.2007 11:11 AM

Yeah, we aren't just music fans who like to talk about stuff and turn other people on to interesting new sounds while getting turned on to new and interesting sounds by people whose tastes we have grown to know and respect through the aforementioned correspondence.
It's all just a huge contest and none of us sincerely enjoy anything on its own merits. It's all just to impress someone on a messageboard.
Boy, have you got it pegged.

sellouteater 08.12.2007 11:15 AM

yeah sure do wanna play some hipster bingo

but for real yeah i get yr piont i was just being a little cynical

Glice 08.12.2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, we aren't just music fans who like to talk about stuff and turn other people on to interesting new sounds while getting turned on to new and interesting sounds by people whose tastes we have grown to know and respect through the aforementioned correspondence.
It's all just a huge contest and none of us sincerely enjoy anything on its own merits. It's all just to impress someone on a messageboard.
Boy, have you got it pegged.

I'm so indie I didn't even read this post, let alone agree with it. My fringe is ace though.

ZEROpumpkins 08.14.2007 02:34 AM

Quote:

Seconded

Torn Curtain 08.14.2007 03:51 AM

I can't stand Battles (that's pretty unpopular :D).

Norma J 08.14.2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

But don't you suck balls? As in literally.

SynthethicalY 08.14.2007 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
But don't you suck balls? As in literally.

And do the fudgepacking as well.

Toilet & Bowels 08.14.2007 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I'm so indie I didn't even read this post, let alone agree with it. My fringe is ace though.

i'm so in to music i don't even listen it anymore

demonrail666 08.14.2007 12:14 PM

Mike Watt looks like a twat when he plays the bass on stage.

Rob Instigator 08.14.2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom

More opinions - the Boss Hog "Action Box" 2x7" is far better than anything the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion has recorded.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT

Rob Instigator 08.14.2007 12:54 PM

what are "indie kids"?

this distinction makes no sense.

I am an indie-adult! and a hardcore punk! and a slacker! and a noise-rock freak! and a metalhead! and a phish-head! and a stoner rock lovin psycho!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.14.2007 08:38 PM

finally my character changes to the destroyed room...

iskandertime 08.14.2007 11:09 PM

I don't like:Neil Young (just sounds like The Eagals to me, fake summer of love bullshit, perfect for jock keg parties. The fact that he did the soundtrack is the reson that "Dead Man" is the only Jarmush movie I have'nt sean) , The Pixies (over rated), The Smashing
Pumpkins (radio ready lowest common denominator heavy rock with unforgivably stupid lyrics), Pavement (why not just listen to Sonic Youth?), The Rolling Stones ("The Droning Bores" and don't tell me about "Exile on Main Street", I'm bored already), The Beatles (OK, they're not that bad, it just erks me that the same people who make fun of Elvis's soundtracks give crap like "Octpus's Garden" or wine and cheese muzak like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" a free pass), The Strokes (why not just listen to Tom Petty? Remember when The Strokes were going to "save Rock & Roll"? Emperor's new clothes anyone?), Led Zeppelin (so overplayed it's not funny. More idiotic lyrics.), (on the other hand, I love Black Sabbath. What's the matter with me?) Is it just me, or is CAN the only "Krautrock" band worth listing to? The White Stripes (I was over the whole "two person Punk Rock Jug Band" thing after hearing The Revelators, Bantam Rooster, The Bassholes, The Workdogs, Deja Voodoo, and etc. The Flat Duo Jets were the best, and The W.S. don't mesure up. Led Zep references don't help their case either), Radiohead (started out as a 5th rate brit version of "grunge", now sound like a 5th rate Tortoise), "Grunge" (more Emperor's new clothes. Grunge is sloppy heavy metal; what's so great?), Black Metal (news flash-it sounds terrible. But I love Death Metal-that sounds goood.), screemo/emo (sample lyric-"Like, mom and dad totally don't understand me!!!! AUGGGGG!!!!" music for people who got milk spit in their lunchboxes when they were kids-grow up.) (when I was younger, people called bands like Rites Of Spring "emo"; but R.O.S. was a GOOD band. What happend?) Bands like Rancid (They are to The Clash as the remake of Psycho is to the original; a dumbed down version for idiots to enjoy), The Doors (for the life of me, I can't see the attraction of this band. "Ride the snake to the lake" Duhhh, that's poetry! Most over rated lyric writing ever. roller rink/ "kitten on the keys"/bossa nova keybord lines don't help.) I like the Velvet Underground, but people always say "they influnced thousands of bands". Yeah, too bad they all suck. Of cource I hate myself most of all; pompus, grumpy record collector know-it-all; and you too, dumbass internet geek! OK, Just kidding about the last part. Great thread, by the way!

Cantankerous 08.14.2007 11:13 PM

i like the pixies which seems to be an unpopular opinion here not that i really give two shits what anyone thinks of my taste in music
i like led zeppelin a whole lot which seems to me like it'd probably be an unpopular opinion on this board.

fugazifan 08.15.2007 03:30 AM

pixies are awsome as well as zeppelin.
and its foolish that iskandertime didnt see dead man cause of young. cause first of all, dead man is a cinematic masterpeice, a perfection beyond even jarmusch standards.
and seconofly, if you even gave it a chance you would know that the soundtrack is very very very un neil youngish. the only thing that remnats young is the fact that it is brillinat, and so is he. but the soundrack is not going to sound like flower power....
i say give it a chance...

sarramkrop 08.15.2007 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm so in to music i don't even listen it anymore

Too bad. I haven't listened to music in a long, long time but only to the sound of the wind and the noise made by my shoes stepping in dog poo. Free-form enviromental sounds are so much better than those created by mere mortals.