Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lydia (, take me out to) Lunch (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79499)

louder 07.08.2012 01:13 AM

try to find the positive in people/things in general, maybe you won't have to whine about how you're so bored all the time and pick on strangers from the internet like two flaming dickheads.

louder 07.08.2012 01:16 AM

and stop trolling ann ashtray. if you really can't see why the stooges are one of the most important bands of all time, you're an idiot. seriously.

louder 07.08.2012 01:19 AM

actually, i don't even want derek to talk to me so why did i bother.

louder 07.08.2012 01:21 AM

what's wrong with jews now? lol

louder 07.08.2012 01:27 AM

what have i done? :(

louder 07.08.2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
The emotions expressed...boredom, anxiety, sexual frustration, sex as fun as opposed to sex as love, drugs as fun as opposed to drugs as a tool of mind expansion or some other hippie rubbish, were all unique for the time in which they, The Stooges, were expressing them. Sure, some notes were pulled from the Doors...but they tore down whatever doors the Doors themselves wouldn't even venture into. They barely knew how to play. Comparing Ron's more poetic, uber loose, adolescent anger driven blues slop...way different than say, Santana or Hendrix. Sure the scales were the same...but what gives? It's 2012...not much unique about weird time sigs and out of tune guitars, either. Anyone that feels there is is WAY out of tune w/ reality.

AND, if ya ever listen to the full/extended version of Ann...the last several minutes is very comparable to some stuff that wouldn't happen until 10 or so years afterward. Shit is total stoner sludge angst. The bass line slowed down a bit more wouldn't be too far off from what Sunn are doing. And Ron's playing, here, is some of the freest most insane shit I've ever heard. Blues or not...shit is free. Totally improvised, totally non-pretentious. They wanted success, but always knew deep down they weren't getting it...this, allowing themselves to venture into concepts they knew wouldn't be popular.

But beyond any of this, even what I've mentioned above (mostly...) boils down to my personal feelings on the subject. I don't give a fuck what one listens to, and feel caring too much about the musical taste of others is rather adolescent. Especially when one attempts using these sort of things as an insult. Really, who gives a fuck? Seriously? You care that damned much? I doubt you do. In the same way, the last thing on my mind is whatever, likely "shit" in my opinion, music you listen to in your free time. It's just entertainment.

I just personally feel the Stooges are a very important band. They have been for me. Who cares?

great post. sway is so underrated. i'll listen to fun house today.

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
and stop trolling ann ashtray. if you really can't see why the stooges are one of the most important bands of all time, you're an idiot. seriously.

this isn't the same concept as trolling i don't give a shit if the stooges are important they are BORING

and you are new to this message bored kiddo swa is a fucking asshat and has been an asshat and he got my boyfriend nik banned :****((((((

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 01:44 AM

wait you've been here since 2010? still new i guess where is nik i wonder if he's online

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 01:46 AM

remember when sway would take pictures of him smoking on steps with his self-timer and like hold his cigarette up in the air like some drag queen channeling 80s mozzer

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 01:48 AM

ahahahaha remember when sway listened to the stooges and made friends with kanye west fans on the internet while i spent money on armani underwear and talk to nik

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 01:56 AM

no like that actually happened he would post photos like that all the time i bet nik still has them

louder 07.08.2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
while i spent money on armani underwear and talk to nik

that's gay

louder 07.08.2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
ha, the stooges owns this thread.

thank you (ann) hrbor, michigan.

indeed.

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

this isn't the same concept as trolling i don't give a shit if the stooges are important they are BORING

and you are new to this message bored kiddo swa is a fucking asshat and has been an asshat and he got my boyfriend nik banned :****((((((

I didn't get nik banned, If so...that's news to me. Either way, I don't care.

Beyond that, why ya choose to make a thread totally unrelated to my musical interest about my musical interest, all the while claiming I'm a boring asshat is beyond me. Seriously, sounds like you have some sort of closet obcession. Get over it as I can assure you I have ZERO interest in you on any level. I don't care what you find interesting, what you listen to, or whatever yr strange feelings toward me are. I tend to, at least these days, avoid those I find boring. You should try it.

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

no like that actually happened he would post photos like that all the time i bet nik still has them

He probably does have them. He's gay. I still have them too. If you are needing to see them again I'll gladly fork 'em over to ya, weirdo.

I was 20 once, just like everyone else.

louder 07.08.2012 02:18 AM

gayest thread i've seen here in a while.

louder 07.08.2012 02:20 AM

sway won

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
sway won

Thank ya, friend.

EVOLghost 07.08.2012 02:49 AM

Everyone who posts In this thread is gay....

Staaaaarting......NOW!

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 03:04 AM

I come in second place I guess. That still makes foreverasskiss gayer than me, though.

;)

Starcat 07.08.2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

I leave to jerk off for an hour and I come back to THIS sticky mess...

Hayden has a really good point here though: lots of really musically important bands are totally boring to listen to now. I know that The Smiths and Velvet Underground are super-important and influential, but after being jaded by modern noise rock, I can hardly listen to either.

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 03:17 AM

Smiths always sucked. Velvets are absolutely amazing.

Most modern noise rock is noise rock for the sake of noise rock which is always more bore than need be.. Much emphasis on "most".

Starcat 07.08.2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Smiths always sucked. Velvets are absolutely amazing.

Most modern noise rock is noise rock for the sake of noise rock which is always more bore than need be.. Much emphasis on "most".

There are plenty of modern bands that take their cues from SY and are about rock made of noise, not noise made of rock... After stuff like that I just can't get very excited about the prettiness of velvet underground

Genteel Death 07.08.2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

what about me? i kicked ass too right. i live to fight another day SpaceCadet. faggot.

Anyone noticed how foreverkissmyass always needs someone's help when he gets involved in internet disagreements? I mean, this is a man too scared of his own shadow to even post a picture of himself, so I suppose gang-attacking Hayden, who effortlessly makes him look stupid without even trying on a messageboard, must feel like some sort of coronation for a guy whose penis won't respond to enlargement treatments.

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 03:39 AM

Well, in all fairness Hayden did kinda start it. I think he was trying to get some shit started against me, and his plan obviously backfired a wee bit. No big deal. Maybe. Either way, it's the internet and it's funny.

G'morning, Death.

ann ashtray 07.08.2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starcat
There are plenty of modern bands that take their cues from SY and are about rock made of noise, not noise made of rock... After stuff like that I just can't get very excited about the prettiness of velvet underground

Like Sonic Youth, the Velvets were only "pretty" sometimes.

Derek 07.08.2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starcat
I leave to jerk off for an hour and I come back to THIS sticky mess...

Hayden has a really good point here though: lots of really musically important bands are totally boring to listen to now. I know that The Smiths and Velvet Underground are super-important and influential, but after being jaded by modern noise rock, I can hardly listen to either.

i find a lot of important 60s and 70s rock bands a total chore to listen to. i find the stooges just as boring as i find the who or pink floyd and most often these bands get a pass just because of the influence they have, when it would be healthier to tear down these dinosaurs just as much as the newest thing.

also hayden and nik are insanely intelligent, awesome people and if you got to know either of them you would see that. it doesn't change that fact just because hayden likes teasing people on a dead messageboard he has no investment in anymore (which is also why i feel no need to contribute anything of value here anymore either).

EVOLghost 07.08.2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

^^^says the one with the gay ass haircut.

Hey! Fuck you!

Starcat 07.08.2012 12:26 PM

Asskiss is a dude?? woah....

EVOLghost 07.08.2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

i hate you:fuckyou: i hate all of you.:fuckyou:

besides Starcat.

:fuckyou:

louder 07.08.2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

besides louder and Starcat.

fixed. it's impossible to hate me.

the ikara cult 07.08.2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

i bet my underwear drawer is worth more than your truck you fucking scum

post of the decade

Genteel Death 07.08.2012 04:30 PM

Well, at Hozac we love taking chances on new bands that we're excited about, and it NO WAY was anyone forced into buying any records, and we always have a way to hear everything before you buy it, too. We really were betting high to "cash in" on bands like Grave Blankets, Mess Folk, Wizzard Sleeve, and Tortured Tongues, we thought surely they'd be following in the Smith Westerns footsteps.

Should we have passed on releasing records by Wax Museums in 2007 when we first heard them and they were unknown outside of Texas, or Women in Prison because they weren't recorded in proper studios with costs that would make it impossible to break even? Maybe!

So we'd like to apologize for releasing such hated and universally despised bands as Wax Museums, Mickey, Subtle Turnhips, Cozy, Women in Prison, Puffy Areolas, etc and just want to remind you all that this is YOUR world and you don't have to be afraid to live in it anymore. You don't have to suffer through the abuse of us talking you into buying records, because bands like Home Blitz really aren't holding up as well as you all think they are if you step back outside of your bubble.

Don't worry, you'll hate lunch, blowjobs and everything else that "other people like" soon enough!

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 04:52 PM

hello, porky dear, how's the weather?

Genteel Death 07.08.2012 05:01 PM

It's rainy and if everything goes to plan I'll swim to work tomorrow morning. I'm at home, wearing Armani underwear and writing a letter to Truncy. I may listen to Funhouse later on. How are you luv?

Australia's got the X-Factor.

SpaceCadetHayden 07.08.2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

also hayden and nik are insanely intelligent, awesome people and if you got to know either of them you would see that. it doesn't change that fact just because hayden likes teasing people on a dead messageboard he has no investment in anymore (which is also why i feel no need to contribute anything of value here anymore either).

pretend there's an animated .gif of an actor accepting an oscar here or something

Genteel Death 07.08.2012 05:47 PM

this thread has some moments of pure brilliance, particularly on page 8.

Starcat 07.08.2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

besides Starcat.

I should win a fucking award for being the best person ever forever always. kay?

louder 07.09.2012 12:11 AM

apparently we all must like anime and kittens

SpaceCadetHayden 07.09.2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
But not everyone feels the same way about music, evidently. It's silly to constantly dominate threads with your outbursts of diatribe towards sway for his taste in music, but indeed, whatever "entertains" you. I don't particularly feel malice for anyone on here, but it's irrelevant what kinds of people nik and cadet are if they insist on displaying nothing more than the childish troll behavior I've seen exemplified since I joined (albeit nik had his moments). All this thread did was make me feel like I was in middle school again.

And who cares about conflicting tastes? it's one of the things I've admired about posting here. I disagree with nearly everyone and yet I can still find something to discuss with them. I know you say you're just teasing, but a seemingly serious discussion about the stooges ensued so I'm just implying...

pls feel fere two contrbut somtheing of valeu drek

can you stop saying "troll"? i've contributed to this message board. quit fucking whining. i do not like sway i will not like sway and i will continue to berate him for being an utterly worthless human being as often as i see fit.

i'm smarter than you. my tastes are better than yours. i can take more pills than you can. does it offend you or something? are you intimidated?

"troll" is really not the right word