Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ONE album that changed music for you (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=4257)

screamingskull 07.29.2006 11:57 AM

maybe 'daydream nation'.............or 'nevermind' by nirvana

more recently 'Blue' by joni mitchell, 'something/anything' by Todd Rundren and definately 'from a basement on the hill' by Elliott Smith.

follow.blind 07.29.2006 12:18 PM

disco > "Let's Twist Again" compilation > Roxette > Beatles (the shortest episode) > brit-pop - Oasis? > Blur > Nirvana > short punk era > a lot of shity "grunge" stuff (Melvins, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam...) > Pixies, Mudhoney > Wipers and Greg Sage > grrl bands > Throwing Muses and Kristin Hersh > big step back: Velvet Underground > Sonic Youth - this was the biggest crossroad leading to many bands and genres > Dinosaur Jr. (Wow!Solos are permitted again!) > John Zorn, Derek Bailey > back to R.E.M. (yeah) > whatever ("indie", pop-music, alternative/experimental, rock'n'roll, jazz, freejazz, improvisation stuff, folk + songwriters...) > ?

h8kurdt 07.30.2006 06:39 AM

DJ SHadow-Endtroducing

Amazing, that has now changed everythig I thoght about dance music

RockerNino 07.30.2006 03:55 PM

Nirvana's Nevermind: the gateway band/album.

choc e-Claire 04.23.2019 07:17 PM

Probably In Utero.

SonicSleuth 04.23.2019 09:56 PM

Fugazi In on the Kill Taker

First CD purchase

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:24 AM

Good (old) thread!!

For me (and many others, I suspect) it was a SERIES of albums that caused us to take left turns. It's very hard to pinpoint just one album that "changed music for you". I'd like to think that music is a lifetime journey of discovery.

But, if you put a gun to my head, and force me to pick the biggest turn/realization, I would have to say......

My discovery of Dylan's Blonde On Blonde when I was 18 years old.

My friends laughed at me when I played it for them. Fuck them!! :)

This album changed my world view of singing, lyrics, composition, and....yes.....popular taste. It blew my world apart. My friends had to (or maybe they never did) catch up. (We are talking 1980 here. Yes, I'm old.)

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Probably In Utero.

Possibly the most overshadowed album ever!! "It's not Nevermind, is it?" In Utero desreves some kind of massive re-release/re-consideration. It's fucking brilliant, and difficult, and...in 2019....criminally overlooked.

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
this was a competition?

blonde on blonde because it didn't suck.

Whoa. I swear I didn't see this before my post a couple above. :)

Skuj 04.24.2019 01:37 AM

Love - Forever Changes might be the album that blew me away the most, but Dylan sent me there. I swear.

choc e-Claire 04.24.2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Possibly the most overshadowed album ever!! "It's not Nevermind, is it?" In Utero desreves some kind of massive re-release/re-consideration. It's fucking brilliant, and difficult, and...in 2019....criminally overlooked.

How many albums can sell five million copies and yet still be called underrated?

Another starting point for my musical taste was probably a compilation album, the Triple J Hottest 100 Vol. 5. Annual music poll on an Australian alternative radio station, which in this case was the listener's favourite songs of 1997. A very fun compilation.

(But ground zero was this.)

Severian 04.24.2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Just got a massive rerelease, or three of them, in 2013. With Albini mix that prompted a ton of hype and praise. Several options, from 1 to 3-CD+DVD.

I wouldn’t say it’s criminally overlooked.
It’s 5x platinum in the U.S. and 15x platinum worldwide, and will probably be certified at way, way more than that next time the RIAA reviews it, what with the reissue, streaming, etc.
It’s about as overlooked as Abbey Road. Sure, people don’t talk about it every day, but it’s 26 years old.

I mean, what more do you want?

Severian 04.24.2019 07:16 AM

Can’t name one album definitively above others, but White Light/White Heat reprogrammed my brain for sure. Been listening to music for a long time, though, so more than one album has changed music for me.

Skuj 04.24.2019 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Just got a massive rerelease, or three of them, in 2013. With Albini mix that prompted a ton of hype and praise. Several options, from 1 to 3-CD+DVD.

It’s 5x platinum in the U.S. and 15x platinum worldwide, and will probably be certified at way, way more than that next time the RIAA reviews it, what with the reissue, streaming, etc.
It’s about as overlooked as Abbey Road. Sure, people don’t talk about it every day, but it’s 26 years old.

Um....2013 was 6 years ago. :0

Let's face it....In Utero is almost an afterthought when most people talk about Nirvermind.

Kuhb 04.25.2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

That Albini mix rules

Severian 04.25.2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Let's face it....In Utero is almost an afterthought when most people talk about Nirvermind.

WHAT WOULD BE REISSUED?!

My wallet can’t afford for these things to be deluxified every goddamn 5 years.

Be happy with why you have. We waited TWENTY YEARS to hear an Albini version and we got it. The fuck more do you want?

And no, I don’t think In Utero is an afterthought. Most musically minded people acknowledge that it’s Nirvana’s masterpiece.

h8kurdt 04.25.2019 08:34 AM

Quote:

What else can be added to what has already been released? The 13 minute version of Scentless Apprentice was all I need from that last set.

Skuj 04.25.2019 11:19 AM

I'm glad we are acknowledging In Utero in this thread.

I maintain that Nevermind overshadows it monumentally in most people's conversations about Nirvana.

Skuj 04.25.2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

WHAT WOULD BE REISSUED?!

My wallet can’t afford for these things to be deluxified every goddamn 5 years.

Be happy with why you have. We waited TWENTY YEARS to hear an Albini version and we got it. The fuck more do you want?

And no, I don’t think In Utero is an afterthought. Most musically minded people acknowledge that it’s Nirvana’s masterpiece.

Why do you keep misreading me? Where did I say what I "want"?

Toilet & Bowels 04.25.2019 02:15 PM

Records that changed the course of my music life
3 ft high & rising
It takes a nation
Nevermind
Dirty
36 chambers
Music has the right to children
Train Songs
Suicide
On the cam (touch and go sampler cd)
The Hot Rock
Tard and Furthered
I saw it that which before i could only sense

Severian 04.25.2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Why do you keep misreading me? Where did I say what I "want"?

I meant what more do you expect.

The Soup Nazi 04.25.2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

SYG's favourite thread-digging girl.

Genteel Death 04.25.2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
On the cam (touch and go sampler cd)

That was a big one for me too. First time I heard a Blonde Redhead song. Still one of my favourite songs of theirs. The rest of their records are all a bit of a mixed bag for me. The Sonora Pine, Rachel's and Don Caballero I was familiar with, at that point, and still love. I think it may have been at the same time I got into a band called My Dad is Dead.

Genteel Death 04.25.2019 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

Don't be such a sarcastic prick. She's a relatively new poster and probably trying to find out about things and bands to get into. No need to act like the eternally disappointed veteran of SYG, who thinks Talking Heads are a misunderstood band, or some shit like that.

choc e-Claire 04.25.2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Hush Nazi, you don't have to snipe at me. Just because I'm inadvertently giving you an overwhelming sense of your own aging doesn't mean that I'm all bad.

I'd also like to point out that when I joined this forum, I asked about thread-digging, and was told it was okay. So apologies if this goes against the forum grain.

EDIT: Also, there's been twenty more posts after my original revival one. So clearly this is a thread that needed to be.

The Soup Nazi 04.25.2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Don't be such a sarcastic prick. She's a relatively new poster and probably trying to find out about things and bands to get into. No need to act like the eternally disappointed veteran of SYG, who thinks Talking Heads are a misunderstood band, or some shit like that.

Christ on a stick, what in all that is fuck is wrong with you. I really appreciate Claire's contribution to this board and I'm glad someone can bring back interesting topics that would otherwise remain dead. Worst case scenario, I'm guilty of not having used the ;) smily in my post.

Just so you know, jump-the-gun dick, I happen to have prepared a big Blackstar-related project just for her that I haven't yet finished only because my online time is very limited compared to most people's here. Torn Curtain, Hipster Bebop Junkie, ilduclo, Severian and more can attest I'm not bullshitting because I've made comparable collections for them in the past. Have you done anything like that for an SYG member?

And I'm not sure whether Talking Heads are misunderstood. I'm not discovering anything by saying their first four albums are untouchable, that's for shit fuckin' sure. :fuckyou:

The Soup Nazi 04.25.2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Hush Nazi, you don't have to snipe at me. Just because I'm inadvertently giving you an overwhelming sense of your own aging doesn't mean that I'm all bad.

I'd also like to point out that when I joined this forum, I asked about thread-digging, and was told it was okay. So apologies if this goes against the forum grain.

EDIT: Also, there's been twenty more posts after my original revival one. So clearly this is a thread that needed to be.

Read my reply to GD above.

Skuj 04.25.2019 06:36 PM

(GD neg-repped me on my Blonde On Blonde post above.) :)

The Soup Nazi 04.25.2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

So did Claire on mine. Yet she is still, and I quote (don't expect privacy at this point, fuckers), "interested in whatever project this is". Oh, are you now? Well isn't that convenient...

choc e-Claire 04.25.2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

(don't expect privacy at this point, fuckers)

I didn't want to escalate it, but you had to go and do this.

My message giving Soup Nazi neg-rep:
Quote:

While I'm interested in whatever project this is, I still think you're more than a little condescending.

Soup Nazi's PM reply:
Quote:

Genteel Death shits on people's music choices left and right, and I'm condescending? Unbelievable. I had nothing but good will for you.

-TSN

And I stand by it, you are condescending, with your neurotic bitrate obsession, middle school-grade putdowns, and bizarre thirst for politicians. Not to mention your above knee-jerk response to Genteel Death for taking you the wrong way - something that a lot of people, including myself.

Whatever, keep your project. People like you are the reason it took me a while to feel like I belonged here. Apologies to everyone else who's not keen on this drama.

Skuj 04.25.2019 07:36 PM

Fuuuuuuck.....this thread!!!

Skuj 04.25.2019 07:37 PM

We are all becoming Donald Fucking Trump!!!

choc e-Claire 04.25.2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

We are all becoming Donald Fucking Trump!!!

Now, now, don't call me Trump. I put proper research into my rant :D

LifeDistortion 04.25.2019 07:58 PM

Honestly the album that didn't so much change my view of music but expanded it was Faith No More's Angel Dust. When my older brother and I first started getting albums/Cds in the early 90's the first albums we bought were Guns N' Roses and Metallica's discography. Both the Use Your Illusion albums and The Black Album were all over the rock stations and MTV, and Faith No More got just a bit of that spotlight seeing as they went on tour with them, but AngelDust was so much weirder. I had heard FNM's The Real Thing and dug it(dig it even more these days), but it was AngelDust that I just could not stop listening to. The last time I heard AngelDust was this morning, and to me it sounds just as out there and unlike most mainstream music currently.

choc e-Claire 04.25.2019 08:03 PM

This album taught me two things: how awesome Nine Inch Nails (and more aggressive/experimental music as a whole) are, and how awesome the Internet Archive is.

Peterpuff 04.25.2019 09:24 PM

Nevermind. Sure it may be cliche, but it absolutely opened me up to so much. I was the total demographic middle school little punk at the time of it's release. I am a complete product of early-nineties MTV culture.

Oh, and btw, speaking of cliche...this belongs here right about now.

Skuj 04.25.2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Nevermind. Sure it may be cliche, but it absolutely opened me up to so much. I was the total demographic middle school little punk at the time of it's release. I am a complete product of early-nineties MTV culture.

Oh, and btw, speaking of cliche...this belongs here right about now.

You should have stopped with your music choices.

Genteel Death 04.26.2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

I did it for Kurt to preserve his overlooked legacy. I think I neg-repped the wrong post of yours though. I may have to go back to it, one day.

Genteel Death 04.26.2019 05:06 AM

Quote:

Christ on a stick, what in all that is fuck is wrong with you. I really appreciate Claire's contribution to this board and I'm glad someone can bring back interesting topics that would otherwise remain dead. Worst case scenario, I'm guilty of not having used the ;) smily in my post.

Just so you know, jump-the-gun dick, I happen to have prepared a big Blackstar-related project just for her that I haven't yet finished only because my online time is very limited compared to most people's here. Torn Curtain, Hipster Bebop Junkie, ilduclo, Severian and more can attest I'm not bullshitting because I've made comparable collections for them in the past. Have you done anything like that for an SYG member?

And I'm not sure whether Talking Heads are misunderstood. I'm not discovering anything by saying their first four albums are untouchable, that's for shit fuckin' sure. :fuckyou:

I really don't think you were being ironic in your original post, so there's no need for you to be all defensive. I've no idea what your project is and I care even less. As for me shitting on everyone's music taste on the forum, I don't think that's the case. Some posters discuss music that is more similar to my taste, others don't. You don't like me airing my opinions about bands that I don't like because I think they are discussed too much at the expense of other bands whose music I appreciate more? Tough shit. Get used to it.

h8kurdt 04.26.2019 05:16 AM

Well...this thread blew up didn't it.

...odd weather we're having, aren't we?