Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hey, Ho - Let's Go: The Punk Rock Survey (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18598)

demonrail666 01.01.2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Can I just ask directly what has been hinted at: What is punk?

Wasn't there a massive thread about that not so long ago? If my memory serves me right, the thread resulted in three people threatening to leave the board, one divorce, one assisted suicide, two funerals, a marriage and the discovery of a cure for the common cold. However, no one managed to quite work out exactly what Punk was.

atari 2600 01.01.2008 08:33 PM

Yeah, I believe it was mentioned in that thread that the word "punk" originally arose from the prison term for an inmate that gets fucked in the ass.

Hey, it might have been me (I cannot remember) that mentioned it (although I had heard of the word's origin long ago) and regugitated this from Don Letts' Punk Attitude.

Hmm, suddenly the listing of hardcore, thrash and post-punk bands seems to be in vogue in this thread.

demonrail666 01.01.2008 08:47 PM

Wasn't Lenny Kaye the first person to use the term in a music context when he applied it to the bands on his Nuggets series?

atari 2600 01.01.2008 09:07 PM

Yeah, as far as I know. And it was Legs McNeil at Punk magazine that picked-up on it and made it (via their small circulation) into the term as we know it really.

Norma J 01.01.2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I don't like the Sex Pistols. They bore the shit outta me. They remind me of them kids at school who try and play the role of the misfit purely for image.

My opinion.

Yeah, I'm real sorry you got spurned by or the evil eye from the goo girl with the Sex Pistols patch or Never Mind sticker, but give it a rest.

No.

Give up going on about the fucking stupid band. You bring them up too often and try and convince everyone you're in the right for liking them.

You like the Sex Pistols! Who cares? Just shut up and stop pretending they were anything more than a fashionable boy band.

Sonic Youth 37 01.01.2008 11:35 PM

1. Boredom - Buzzcocks
2. The Clash
3. Glenn Danzig- Vox/Steve Jones-Lead/Johnny Ramone-Rhythm/Brian Baker-Bass/Topper Headon-Drums):
4. The Stooges-The Stooges
5. Let's Dance-The Ramones
6. Guilty of Being White - Minor Threat
7. Joy Division
8. Nirvana
9. British
10. Kill Yr Idols

Edited once for afterthough

Torn Curtain 01.02.2008 05:29 AM

Quote:

No.

Give up going on about the fucking stupid band. You bring them up too often and try and convince everyone you're in the right for liking them.

You like the Sex Pistols! Who cares? Just shut up and stop pretending they were anything more than a fashionable boy band.

I'm not a Pistols fan but at least they paved the way for Joy Division, The Cure and other great British post-punk bands.

sarramkrop 01.02.2008 09:12 AM

swa(y) invented punk rock with a song that went on like this:

I am swa(y)
I am swa(y)
Cant' you see that this is the way?
I am swa(y)
I am Swa(y)

Chrous:
LALALALALA
LALALALALA SPIT LALALA
LALALALALA
LALA
LA
LA

Cantankerous 01.02.2008 10:39 AM

1. A Punk song that defines the genre: anarchy in the UK. sorry, but it does. or blitzkrieg bop on the homefront.
2. A Punk band that defines the genre: ramones, sex pistols (sorry but they do)
3. The ultimate Punk band lineup (Vox/Lead/Rhythm/Bass/Drums): patti smith/tom verlaine/richard lloyd/richard hell/jerry nolan
4. One Punk album you would want on a desert island: where the hell am i gonna find a record player and/or source of electricity on a desert island? okay uh...patti smith - radio ethiopia
5. One Punk song that makes you dance: wire - pink flag
6. One Punk song that makes you think: _______
7. A band that should be thought of as Punk, but rarely are:
8. A band that shouldn't be thought of as Punk, but regularly are: television
9. British or American: american all the fucking way.
10. Sonic Youth's most Punk Rock song (no covers): kill yr idols maybe or cross the breeze

Everyneurotic 01.02.2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Hmm, suddenly the listing of hardcore, thrash and post-punk bands seems to be in vogue in this thread.

sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub sub genre-ing.

tesla69 01.02.2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

kinda like the Rolling Stones were just a fashionable boy band.

yeah right.

Norma J 01.02.2008 04:33 PM

You're comparing the Rolling Stones to the Sex Pistols?

If so you should go to the kitchen and fuck yourself with a huge carrot.

You just have to look at the songwriting to know they're worlds apart.
One is art, and the other is like playing with Playdo in pre-school.

Norma J 01.02.2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
very true. most of those mentioned bands were at the first pistols show, which is what inspired them all to go out and starrt bands to begin with.

norma hasnt done much homework...or maybe he just doesnt give a fuck about histroy. both of which are fine.

but seriously, if anyone wants to talk shit about someone being "fashionable", norma certainly doesnt have that right.

Don't cry to me because you're jealous that I don't look like trailor trash.

You're putting too much into what the Sex Pistols did. You can't say that "without this band, there would be no music!" it's a fucking stupid comment. Sure, they influenced, but THEY WERE INFLUENCED TOO, you dense wood plank.

You're really well educated, Sway, you're a fan of the Sex Pistols. Welldone. You're so 'punk', dude.

I don't even hate the Sex Pistols, just people like you and your mate Atari give too much credit to a shit act.

Rob Instigator 01.02.2008 04:43 PM

they are BOTH art

whether it is GOOD or not is a personal choice.

Norma J 01.02.2008 04:45 PM

Obviously, Rob.

Rob Instigator 01.02.2008 04:46 PM

but you said this Norma J

Rob Instigator 01.02.2008 04:48 PM

both these songs are genius!

Pretty vacant
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ci5SZx3VI_U

Waiting on a Friend
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wdDfVklg7WU

Norma J 01.02.2008 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but you said this Norma J

HAHA, Rob, you're reminding me of Sway right now. Just alot more likable.

Rob Instigator 01.02.2008 05:10 PM

only just a bit? damn....
and I am wearing good cologne too

Norma J 01.02.2008 07:30 PM

Corrected.