Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Songs you hate on an album you love. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15169)

ZEROpumpkins 08.04.2007 09:24 AM

Why are so many people saying Tunic?

pbradley 08.04.2007 03:53 PM

Yeah, I love Tunic.

she said... you aren't never going anywhere

atsonicpark 08.04.2007 06:24 PM

hmm.. tunic's alright.. a bit silly.. there's certainly worse on goo than that song..

Silent Dan Speaks 08.05.2007 03:44 AM

Tunic rules. There are a lot of songs in this topic I really like. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

ZEROpumpkins 08.05.2007 06:52 AM

Perhaps some feel that it is a bit of a let down from the awesome Dirty Boots.

frades 11.22.2007 03:20 PM

I think the most famous is "within you without you" on sergent pepper's..

the ikara cult 11.22.2007 03:23 PM

Im just giving Crooked Rain Crooked Rain a listen, and i remembered how i actively skip "Unfair", its not that its a bad song, it just dont fit.

frades 11.22.2007 03:28 PM

and "hit the plane down" on this album has an unpleasant sound

the ikara cult 11.22.2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frades
and "hit the plane down" on this album has an unpleasant sound

I wouldnt put the album on specifically to listen to it, but i think it works well when i play the album in sequence. Unlike Unfair, which works well in isolation but messes things up over the 40 odd minutes.

Just been reading the thread, i dont think theres a weak track on Isnt Anything, but there are several on Loveless. Having said that, i booked my ticket for the Roundhouse in June today :)

NWRA 11.22.2007 04:14 PM

I find a lot of Sonic Youth's bad songs quite endearing; though there's no doubt that, say, Washing Machine would be better without Panty Lies, I don't skip it.

Public Enemy have a similar knack for bad songs which are strangely acceptable, and they're usually Flavor Flav's, i.e., Cold Lampin' With Flavor on It Takes A Nation... I don't like Pollywannacracka on Fear... at all though.

I hate Tony's Theme on Surfer Rosa.

Within You, Without You is my favourite song on Sergeant Pepper's. On the subject of The Beatles, I don't like any of Ringo Star's songs... an obvious one but they're not fun, quirky or anything other than rubbish.

_slavo_ 11.22.2007 04:15 PM

Marylin Moore on EVOL. My least favourite SY song on my favourite SY album.

avantgarde1 11.22.2007 06:35 PM

sonic youth - total trash. that song is the epitome of shit as far as i'm concerned, thurston sounds like one of those really whiny homosexuals to me on it. i put DDN on my ipod and that's the only song i leave off. i thank god they've never played that song live when i've seen them.

Danny Himself 11.22.2007 07:12 PM

Total Trash was pretty good live. It's third in my top three favorite songs off of DDN (The Wonder and Teenage Riot being one and two).

SonikJesus 11.22.2007 10:42 PM

Hot Wire My Heart on Sister.

Cantankerous 11.23.2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i love bubblegum.

me too.

"across the universe" on bowie's young americans sticks out. much as i love bowie...what a horrible cover it is.

smells like teen spirit. god damn do i hate that song.

"friction" on marquee moon

as for sonic youth:
the biggest offender would have to be youth against fascism. THAT song is the epitome of total shit.

gmku 11.23.2007 12:37 AM

It's the song I hate, it's the song I hate... Man, I LOVE Youth against Facism. I used to have a Hate Bush segment on my radio show, and that was a staple.

ZEROpumpkins 11.23.2007 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Radiohead - The national anthem & In limbo (on Kid A), Pluk/pull revolving doors & Dollars and cents (on Amnesiac)
Smashing Pumpkins - Jellybelly, Thirty-three, Tales of a scorched earth (on Mellon Collie)
)

Wrong! Your opinion is wrong :p! National anthem is fucking brilliant and hypnotic, Pulk/Pull revolving doors is one of my favourites on Amnesiac, Dollars and Cents has an awesome climax and Jellybelly is the first kickass rock song on MCIS.

Torn Curtain 11.23.2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
"friction" on marquee moon

I agree that it may be the weakest track on Marquee Moon, but the guitar playing on it saves the song for me (the tremolo picking going up the neck especially).

Torn Curtain 11.23.2007 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
National anthem is fucking brilliant and hypnotic,

I've always thought The national anthem is a bad Can rip-off (and I won't change my mind ;)).

ZEROpumpkins 11.23.2007 05:39 AM

Never listened to Can so i'm happy :)