Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Movie Soundtrack Albums (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25052)

noisereductions 09.03.2008 08:10 AM

Speaking of Lynch, Toto did DUNE.

Danny Himself 05.03.2009 07:33 PM

Okay I am going nuts over Bollywood composers right about now. Satyajit Ray, Shankar, Jaikishan, Ali Akbar Khan, Jyotitindra Moitra.. DAMNN. Anywhere I can get my hands on some more of this sort of thing, chaps?

noisereductions 05.03.2009 08:00 PM

wow, nice to see this thread return. But it's almost too large a subject to tackle. My wife's entire music library is pretty much made up of movie scores/soundtracks/whathaveyou. There's some amazing ones.

anyway. 2 I think everyone should own off the top of my head:

1. Les Baxter - The Dunwich Horror
2. Prince And The Revolution - Purple Rain

straight up.

atsonicpark 05.03.2009 08:17 PM

My favorite soundtrack of all time is Goblin's for "Beyond the Darkness".

in 1820 a man named fuck you one day he was fucking you until a fuck you came by and fucked him the next morning fuck you was nowhere to be seen 100 years later fuck you went in the fuck you this comment tonight when u go to sleep the fuck yous and fuck you will come and fuck you but you can fuck you by fuck you on 5 other fuck you by midnight

noisereductions 05.03.2009 08:18 PM

pretty much anything by Goblin is worth picking up. Mmm. Ever hear their score for THE ENTITY???

vulva 05.03.2009 09:04 PM

Irréversible

atsonicpark 05.03.2009 09:06 PM

yes

and yes

demonrail666 05.03.2009 09:19 PM

I didn't know they'd released a soundtrack album of Irreversible. Interesting.

Although i've only been able to watch the film once. i don't know if I could deal with the sounds that accompanied it. That film screwed me up for a good few days.

chairman of the bored 05.03.2009 09:30 PM

didnt boredoms minus eye do the soundtrack to ichi the killer?

ill be the 100th person to say lynch...alot of godard's work with soundtracks is worth mentioning...if only for the fact that he slices the tunes up and arbitrarily begins and ends segments of them whenever he feels like it...a woman is a woman, week-end, probably others

chairman of the bored 05.03.2009 09:30 PM

pi?

atsonicpark 05.04.2009 05:49 AM

yep

wellcharge 05.04.2009 09:43 AM

my favorites are

underground
time of the gypsies
the thabor goes toward the sky(or something like that)
superfly
the house by the cemetary
suspiria
rockers
the harder they come

NWRA 05.04.2009 10:19 AM

Soundtracks that stand-out for me are: Psycho 3 (the main theme was sampled by Aim for Cold Water Music - its beautiful yet slightly creepy, so unusual for a derivative horror-film!), Susperia, Midnight Cowboy (probably my favourite, actually), Betty Blue (main piano theme, and weird fairground music), Irreversible (the queasy-sounding loop and distorted beat) then the more obvious choices: A Clockwork Orange, Taxi Driver, Manhattan, Once Upon A Time In America.

Christiana F. too if I can name one soundtrack which isn't original. It uses lots of Bowie's ambient songs from Low and Heros to good effect.

batreleaser 05.04.2009 10:50 AM

eraserhead
morricone's a man with no name trilogy
lucifer rising

batreleaser 05.04.2009 10:51 AM

goblin was fucking awesome. so wierd. those were soundtrack that without them, the films wouldn't be half as good as they were. me personally, tenebre>suspiria, film and music wise.

fugazifan 05.04.2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Okay I am going nuts over Bollywood composers right about now. Satyajit Ray, Shankar, Jaikishan, Ali Akbar Khan, Jyotitindra Moitra.. DAMNN. Anywhere I can get my hands on some more of this sort of thing, chaps?

have you heard sublime frequencies bollywood string guitar soundtrack? its like indian surf psychedelica
really bizzare and cool album

Count Mecha 05.04.2009 06:37 PM

Obvious as all hell but whatever...

Love the Dead Man pick, and Life Aquatic, and Suspiria. The Forbidden Planet and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly(own this one on record) soundtracks are winners too.

I'd add the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack. And the Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind soundtrack.

Danny Himself 05.04.2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
have you heard sublime frequencies bollywood string guitar soundtrack? its like indian surf psychedelica
really bizzare and cool album

No but the words 'indian surf psychedelica' all together like that are getting me excited.

gmku 05.04.2009 06:53 PM

I used to have the soundtrack to Cabaret. I love that movie. I wish I still had that record.

fugazifan 05.05.2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
No but the words 'indian surf psychedelica' all together like that are getting me excited.

check yr facebook messages