Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NR Essentials #5: DJ Shadow - Endtroducing (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25780)

noisereductions 09.22.2008 12:13 PM

you did the entire thing? I don't get it.

Glice 09.22.2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Yeah, totally not trolling.

If you dnt like my threads, then why spend so much time in them?

I don't not like your threads. I'm just wondering if you're going to do Abba Gold.

lechaoscestmoi 09.22.2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
you did the entire thing? I don't get it.

████████ 09.22.2008 12:15 PM

TROLLED. you fucks.

noisereductions 09.22.2008 12:15 PM

Nope.

noisereductions 09.22.2008 12:17 PM

If yr dissing Abba you might get negative repped by Melly. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he liked Abba a lot. Just a warning.

ZEROpumpkins 09.22.2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ████████
i just accidentally the entire DJ Shadow album.

should I be worried?

Hahahahaha :D

Everyneurotic 09.22.2008 10:20 PM

glice a troll? you guys are fucking retarded.

noisereductions 07.28.2010 08:25 AM

yesterday for some reason I thought of this story:

when I was a sophomore in high school and this album came out, I remember that I brought the record into school becuz I was in a music appreciation class and the teacher seemed kind of hip to me or whatever. He was always going on about Frank Zappa, which seemed cool to me instead of flapping on about Jimmy Buffet or some crap. So I brought it in and he was like "woah someone brought in vinyl" and he immediately snatched it up and threw it down on the turntable and I very specifically remember he asked me "which cut?" so I had him put on "What Does Your Soul Look Like Part 3" and after like 2 mins he shut it off and said it was "kind of repetitive." Sigh. But whatever. I don't know I had to laugh cuz I was thinking about how like 15 or 16-year old NR was just so intent on FORCING an entire classroom of kids to expereience this record. Haha.

Count Mecha 07.28.2010 09:01 AM

The first time I heard this record I was I think eleven years old. I was sitting on my blue bunk bed with Return of the Jedi bedsheets in my little blue room reading my brothers Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics, and it was raining lightly outside. Played the album four or five times in a row. That was one of the best afternoons ever.

Sensational record.

noisereductions 07.28.2010 09:07 AM

Ninja Turtles FTW! Those comics were badass.

Count Mecha 07.28.2010 09:18 AM

Haha yeah they definitely were. This issue goes perfectly with Stem/Long Stem:

It always pleases me to think that these comics and Endtroducing are forever linked together to me.

noisereductions 07.28.2010 09:23 AM

that's awesome haha. I bet they went well with "Building Steam..." as well. Oh man, I used to have this awesome graphic novel that combined the first 10 (was it?) TMNT comics. So amazing. I need to track those down again.

less_cunning 08.02.2010 06:20 AM

i remember when this album came out i was kind of dismissive about it: just wasn't my cup of tea hip-hop wise. & i pretty haven't heard the whole album. but i got a VHS copy of 'Scratch' & that gave me a whole different perspective on who he is & what he did...

i think i will seek this album out and listen to it.

Count Mecha 08.02.2010 11:39 AM

Great video that Scratch. I think that doc really helped my appreciation of DJ Shadow because at the time I don't think I really realized the mechanics of that record and just how heavily sampled it really was. Yeah, pretty good one.

Ghostchase 08.02.2010 12:57 PM

I remember first time I heard Shadow, it was on shitty Launchcast Radio on Yahoo... it played Best Foot Forward, my ears instantly peaked. "WHAT IS THIS?" I then entered the realm of Shadow after I heard Organ Donor. I went to HMV and bought the Deluxe Edition for some really expensive price. A landmark record.