Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

pokkeherrie 06.11.2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
What the HELL was Balotelli doing when he was fannying around with the ball on his own in the penalty box?

It looked like he had a TIA.

Anyway, wasn't a bad time to get ill this weekend, stayed home and watched all the games. Russia were really impressive, awesome team (except Kerzhakov). Poland disapointing (except Tyton).

I already had some doubts about Holland surviving their group, but wasn't expecting they'd manage to lose against Denmark. The front 4 seemed to be pressing forward, while the other 6 went the other way. If they're this much disorgnised on Wednesday then the Germans will counter it to pieces.

Luckily some of the Germans seemed not quite up to their normal standard (Mueller, Podolski, Schweini...), but then they didn't really need to be to win it. Interesting that Klose was already standing at the sideline to replace Gomez at the moment he scored and then put his jacket back on. Could've changed the pecking order had he not scored that goal at that moment? It was his only big chance in the game and he didn't waste it. Are you watching Van Persie?

He picked right up where he left last World Cup. I don't know, it must be some mental issue, or maybe Arsene Wenger has locked the real one in his basement and sent off an imposter to Holland. The pressure will be immense now. If he doesn't score against Germany, then.... or maybe Van Marwijk will already opt for Huntelaar instead, or use them both. I doubt it.

Italy looking good as well. I was curious how they'd fare with the pre-tournament results and scandals, but that was a good showing.

Haven't been able to see much from France-England, but that's not a bad result for either... but especially not for England.

SonicBebs 06.11.2012 01:16 PM

Yeah happy with that. Defended well and looked dangerous on occasions! Defoe will always cause defenders headaches.
Only concern is the depth of our squad. Our first team look good but when Parker or Gerrard tire, which they will playing like this, we bring on jordan henderson or even phil jones!

!@#$%! 06.11.2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Poland disapointing (except Tyton).

i thought lewandowski and kuba (blascz...something) played well, i meant to have them in my team and ended w/ the other dortmund player instead (polanski)

and fuck, man u just got lewandowski away from dortmund. this right after getting kagawa. fuck their money. thieves! dortmund was great this past year but now their stars won't make the champions league. how warped is that.

--

ps - this is what the ukranian coach looks iike:

yes?

demonrail666 06.11.2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
Yeah happy with that. Defended well and looked dangerous on occasions! Defoe will always cause defenders headaches.
Only concern is the depth of our squad. Our first team look good but when Parker or Gerrard tire, which they will playing like this, we bring on jordan henderson or even phil jones!

Yeah, very happy with that. but agree about the problem of our thin squad. Whether we're creative enough to really go for a win still remains to be seen but, given what I was expecting today, I'm a lot more positive now than I was before kick off. I was particularly impressed with Glen Johnson, a player I've never rated but who I thought did excellent today. So far so good but I'm still realistic about how far we can get with that squad.

I was disappointed with France, though. Their attack looks very strong but they seem really thin in defence and very shaky at the back. I still expect them to top the group (especially after seeing Sweden and Ukraine) but can see better teams running their defence ragged after the group stages.

demonrail666 06.11.2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ps - this is what the ukranian coach looks iike:

yes?

Haha, and speaking of lookalikes ...

!@#$%! 06.11.2012 05:29 PM

lololol.

i updated the picture for a closer resemblance

demonrail666 06.11.2012 05:36 PM

I've also become fascinated with players who look like national stereotypes. Everyone knows about Scott Parker but has anyone looked more Swedish than Olof Mellberg?

!@#$%! 06.11.2012 05:43 PM

speaking of stereotypes, mexes today looked like he was plucked out of an asterix comic

demonrail666 06.11.2012 06:50 PM

Haha.

Greece have taken it to an entirely new level with Samaras. That fucker looks like Perseus!!!

_slavo_ 06.12.2012 03:25 AM

Arshavin is a typical Russian face.
All the boys in Russia look like that.

ewww, hideous.

SonicBebs 06.12.2012 05:15 AM

this tournament has been cracking so far. I've really enjoyed it. And there's been no reports (that i've seen) of any incidents or problems like we were led to believe would be common place.

But i have 1 complaint. The BBfuckingC coverage and commentry is appaling
i dont really watch the guff at half time or during the build up because A, i'm busy cooking/washing up and B, Gary Linneker and Alan Shearer are absolute fuckwits. Sarcastic arrogant backward fuckwits.
but the commentators (well, Mark Lawrenceson and his sidekick) seem to hate football. they have nothing upbeat to say about anything during the game and are the most condesending smarmy but at the same time dull fucking fuckwits i've evr had to listen to. We pay for this shite.
you can change commentary vis the "red button" option but why the fuck are these people paid to be there if they hate football so much. paid with our licence fee.
ITV are so much better, and to be fair, you cant criticise Jonathan Pearce but everyone else in the bbc (this means you Savage) needs to be kicked really hard in the shins

SonicBebs 06.12.2012 05:18 AM

and did anyone else hear mark lawrencen call that guy in the black bodysuit "Erick the Eel" refering to the black swimmer at the last olympics??

fuck sake

SonicBebs 06.12.2012 09:33 AM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...igations-abuse

turns out there's been a couple of instances of racist chanting, from Spanish and possible russian supporters

Keeping It Simple 06.12.2012 10:03 AM

What's with the asinine witchhunts in football by the PC posturing loony lefties?

!@#$%! 06.12.2012 11:07 AM

The Czech! 2 goals in 6 minutes!!!!!!!

h8kurdt 06.12.2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

this tournament has been cracking so far. I've really enjoyed it. And there's been no reports (that i've seen) of any incidents or problems like we were led to believe would be common place.

But i have 1 complaint. The BBfuckingC coverage and commentry is appaling
i dont really watch the guff at half time or during the build up because A, i'm busy cooking/washing up and B, Gary Linneker and Alan Shearer are absolute fuckwits. Sarcastic arrogant backward fuckwits.
but the commentators (well, Mark Lawrenceson and his sidekick) seem to hate football. they have nothing upbeat to say about anything during the game and are the most condesending smarmy but at the same time dull fucking fuckwits i've evr had to listen to. We pay for this shite.
you can change commentary vis the "red button" option but why the fuck are these people paid to be there if they hate football so much. paid with our licence fee.
ITV are so much better, and to be fair, you cant criticise Jonathan Pearce but everyone else in the bbc (this means you Savage) needs to be kicked really hard in the shins

You got a filthy whore mouth. I'd rather have Linekar than piggy Adrian Chiles presenting anytime. As for Shearer et. al them guys know their shit. And the commentary?!?! If you're including Motson then jump off the nearest bridge.

BBC>ITV.

demonrail666 06.12.2012 01:24 PM

I know loads of people hate him but I have a bit of a soft spot for Lawrenson. His little digs at Joachim Loew are often quite funny.

Adrian Chiles doesn't bother me either way, although I do prefer Lineker.

Worst of the commentators for me is Andy Townsend. He just has a series of ultra cliched stock sayings he rotates through.

Worst pundit though is definitely Shearer. I've yet to hear him say anything remotely insightful

Anyway, CR v Greece. Glad CR won but Cech will be having nightmares tonight.

EDIT: Ew, violence between Russian and Polish fans.

SonicBebs 06.12.2012 01:39 PM

itv pundits have got fucking stupid chairs

demonrail666 06.12.2012 04:06 PM

I was surprised Poland were that good against Russia, although I suppose the broader significance of their rivalry made it possible. For the sake of the quality of football in the rest of the tournament, I definitely hope both Poland and Russia qualify.

!@#$%! 06.12.2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I was surprised Poland were that good against Russia, although I suppose the broader significance of their rivalry made it possible. For the sake of the quality of football in the rest of the tournament, I definitely hope both Poland and Russia qualify.

what did i tellja about the dortmund poles. eeeeeehhhhh?????? kuba scored! (i wanted him in my midfield but could only afford polanski. ) anyway i have to re-watch this game as i had a busy fucking day and could only watch w/t he corner of my eye (and had a meeting, etc)

demonrail666 06.12.2012 09:52 PM

It really was a great game. It didn't have the quialty of the Spain Italy one but as drama it was fantastic. A definite sense that it all meaned a lot more than just football to a lot of the people involved.

!@#$%! 06.12.2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

It really was a great game. It didn't have the quialty of the Spain Italy one but as drama it was fantastic. A definite sense that it all meaned a lot more than just football to a lot of the people involved.

im watching now, great start of the 1st half, about to watch the 2nd.

this little group A has turned out a lot more fun than i expected.

demonrail666 06.13.2012 09:53 AM

Especially with Greece involved, who've somehow managed to combine being completely shit with a strange capacity to score unexpected goals.

EDIT: We really ought to try and stick to one football thread or t'other. It's getting awkward making similar posts in both.

!@#$%! 06.13.2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

EDIT: We really ought to try and stick to one football thread or t'other. It's getting awkward making similar posts in both.

this is what i hate about the fantasy league, it interferes with reality, ha ha.

today's games look fucking brilliant! i'm skipping work.

demonrail666 06.13.2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

and did anyone else hear mark lawrencen call that guy in the black bodysuit "Erick the Eel" refering to the black swimmer at the last olympics??

fuck sake

There's been complaints about it apparently. It all seems ridiculously overblown to me. The kind of controversy that only ends up giving fuel to those who like to bang on about the whole 'PC gone mad' thing. I think efforts should be re-directed towards actual racism in the game, which remains rife, rather than people getting in a strop about an at worst quite ill-judged remark.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

For those who didn't hear/see it, here's Lawrenson's 'offensive' remark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEUf8SVlYu0

pokkeherrie 06.13.2012 12:42 PM

Goddammit! Come on, Portugal!

Jeez, who's worse... Ronaldo or Van Persie?

h8kurdt 06.13.2012 12:42 PM

DEEENNNNMMAAARRRKKKK!!! Fuck England I'm now a Denmark fan.

pokkeherrie 06.13.2012 12:45 PM

Yesss!!!!!!!!!

h8kurdt 06.13.2012 12:45 PM

Twat.

demonrail666 06.13.2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Yesss!!!!!!!!!

After that, even if Holland lose tonight, I back them to qualify out of the group. I can't see Germany not beating Denmark and I definitely fancy Holland against Portugal.

As an aside, is anyone else really irritated by that music they play in the stadiums whenever a goal's scored, and that stupid guy who counts down to the kickoff? It's undignified. At least the Vuvuzela was a fan thing.

h8kurdt 06.13.2012 01:33 PM

Yeah the music and the countdown thing is just stupid. Seems like they're going for a more (forgive me) American style of doing things ie/shit.

h8kurdt 06.13.2012 02:26 PM

Jesus the Germans are making mince out of the Dutch. Just incredible playing.

And to be honest the Netherlands really don't deserve anything. The only player I can see that is really working his nuts off is Robben. Van Persie...I don't know WHAT'S going on with him, the defense in general are just lackluster.

!@#$%! 06.13.2012 02:37 PM

MARIO IS BACK, BITCHES!

i think having klose hanging over his head has lit a fire under his ass

!@#$%! 06.13.2012 03:45 PM

demonrail666 06.13.2012 04:20 PM

Yeah, Germany were very good tonight, Schweinsteiger looks like he could be their most crucial player while Gomez's finishing was superb. (See, el symbols? I told you he was good. Haha.)

I'm still holding on to some optimism for Holland, though - I still think they can beat Portugal, and Sneijder was superb tonight - but their defence remains a real problem and, despite his goal tonight, Van Persie simply has to be more clinical with his finishing. They seem like a very fed up team, beyond them just reacting to results. They seem very untogether. I still think that might have something to do with Robben's selfishness. His stomping off tonight might be the very excuse van Marwijk needs to start Kuyt against Portugal. Robben on form is an automatic pick but when he's not seems more like a liability.

blunderbuss 06.13.2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

As an aside, is anyone else really irritated by that music they play in the stadiums whenever a goal's scored, and that stupid guy who counts down to the kickoff? It's undignified. At least the Vuvuzela was a fan thing.

Did you ever go to any Wimbledon games when they were playing at Selhurst Park? I can remember going to a few and them having a fanfare played over the PA every time the Wombles got a corner.

Thinking of it, it may have been every time they got a touch of the ball actually.

Anyway, on to more current things, I can't beleive that Spurs have sacked Redknapp, supposedly because they're not in the Champions League, although I can't help but think there's more to it than that. I wonder who they think they can get in that will do a better job than him. What a bunch of Muppets. :rolleyes:

jon boy 06.14.2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Did you ever go to any Wimbledon games when they were playing at Selhurst Park? I can remember going to a few and them having a fanfare played over the PA every time the Wombles got a corner.

Thinking of it, it may have been every time they got a touch of the ball actually.

Anyway, on to more current things, I can't beleive that Spurs have sacked Redknapp, supposedly because they're not in the Champions League, although I can't help but think there's more to it than that. I wonder who they think they can get in that will do a better job than him. What a bunch of Muppets. :rolleyes:

it seems a very silly thing to do. i hear that moyes may be on his way over there which is interesting but makes me wonder who in the hell would want to take over at everton?

as far as the euros go i think its looking fairly likely that the germans are gonna go pretty far, if not take the thing as they looked so well organized and pretty unstoppable today. shame its always the same old teams that always win these things.

demonrail666 06.14.2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss

No. I never saw Wimbledon at Selhurst Park but another team that used to do it (don't know if they still do) was Norwich. But then I think most clubs have experimented with the idea at least once. It really is just wrong.

As for Redknapp, yeah, there has to be more to it than the reasons given. I have to imagine its over Harry wanting some ludicrous contract and Levy being (justifiably) pissed off at the team's collapse during the whole England thing. He's probably not too pleased about him doing the pundit thing for the Euros, either. As Jon Boy mentions, Levy apparently wants Moyes, who I think would be a great long term appointment. Although I also wonder if AVB or Capello aren't in the mix.

It'll be interesting to see if any club comes in for Redknapp.

h8kurdt 06.14.2012 12:54 PM

Peeved about the rumors of Moyes' exit to Tottenham. I've a feeling that Martinez will be more likely. We'll see. BUT if he did go then god knows who we could get to replace him.

AND if he did go you can bet your bottom dollar that (if they don't go now) Fellaini, Baines, Jelavic will go.

!@#$%! 06.14.2012 12:54 PM

wow, italy threw away the game! WTF happened to them in the 2nd half???

and taking out balotelli was wrong!

sheeeettttt. disappoint!