Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café III (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=104665)

Severian 10.20.2014 08:30 PM

Also, I take issue with the use of the words “Ultimate Crew.”

Are we living in some kind of alternate reality where THESE MOTHERFUCKERS were never born?!

Severian 10.20.2014 08:45 PM

Speaking of the Wu, any word on the [horrendously titled but sure to be brilliant because that's just the way shit goes with the Wu] new album? I know there's an official release date but damned if I don't have doubts about whether it will actually land on... That date that I never looked into. Heh.

Severian 10.20.2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
the G-Unit reunion? They've already released an EP this year son. And another on the way.

They did at least one live show recently too.

Yeah I see that now. Well... Fuck me for a fool. ;)

What did you think of the EP?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.21.2014 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

That said, there's one song in particular (forget which.. Maybe track 3?) that has a very "west coast" beat, and I thought of you (SuchFriends..) when I first listened to it. It's got a beat that could break glass at the right volume... Like a Dre beat straight out of the Chronic sessions. West Coast gangsta to the core, and I knorw you'll appreciate it.

Now that is what I want to hear.. what I loved about doctors advocate and lax files was how solid westcoast gangsta rap throwback those beats were!

louder 10.24.2014 06:09 AM

Tha Carter V dropping in 4 days. no tracklist, no promo. what can we expect?

noisereductions 10.24.2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Tha Carter V dropping in 4 days. no tracklist, no promo. what can we expect?

a last minute delay?

noisereductions 10.24.2014 04:59 PM

louder 10.24.2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

a last minute delay?

doubt it man. there's a listening party on Sunday, plus the Young Money camp keeps tweeting about it. seems like it's really happening.

noisereductions 10.24.2014 06:34 PM

was more my attempt at humor. :)

louder 10.24.2014 07:37 PM

lol, you know how it is though. if we're being realistic there's still a chance it'll get delayed.

louder 10.24.2014 07:46 PM

judging by the singles we've gotten so far, i should expect no more than a mediocre album.

however the diehard Weezy fan in me keeps hoping for a classic.

but at this point i should probably know better. Wayne gives us what we need, not what we want.

noisereductions 10.24.2014 09:34 PM

w/ you 100%. Every album I'm like "this is it. He's gonna make another classic." Then I'm disappointed. Then I'm like "Well, still a good album I listen to a lot. Just not a classic."

louder 10.25.2014 04:26 AM

Tinashe album is so good! i wasn't even expecting anything but damn. check it out guys. features by Schoolboy, A$AP Rocky and Future. the production is great, every song slaps.

Severian 10.25.2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

judging by the singles we've gotten so far, i should expect no more than a mediocre album.

however the diehard Weezy fan in me keeps hoping for a classic.

but at this point i should probably know better. Wayne gives us what we need, not what we want.

You're kinda comparing him to Batman, and something about that rubs me wrong.

Wayne gives the public what they want. He gives us (hip-hop fans of Cafe level devotion and intellect) what we may want in the short-term (new albums, a club banger here and there that isn't shit) but hasn't given us what we need in a long time.

And he's starting to be written off by more and more of the general population. Honestly, I still have a die hard wayne fan in me as well, but if this album is another predictable excercise in mediocrity, I'm gonna start feeling like he doesn't deserve fans like us.

Pains me to say it, but Wayne is inches away from complete irrelevance. I wish him the best, and hold out hope that the album is a win.

noisereductions 10.25.2014 11:23 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle. Diehard Wayne fan. Still think he has amazing albums in him. Still think his albums are mediocre and by the numbers. Love the guy. Want so much out of him. Expect so much. And expect dissapointment. It's complicated.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.26.2014 12:53 AM

The young Siddhartha leaves his fathers palace...

Severian 10.26.2014 03:41 PM

Wait, who's Siddhartha in this analogy? Me? NR? Weezy?

noisereductions 10.27.2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

doubt it man. there's a listening party on Sunday, plus the Young Money camp keeps tweeting about it. seems like it's really happening.

well...

Quote:

Although most of us were expecting this, the time has come to formally announce that Lil Wayne's Tha Carter V will not be dropping on October 28th as originally expected. There have been mixed signals concerning whether or not a pushback would actually occur, as we reported, Weezy is reportedly hosting a pre-album release party in New Orleans, but on the other hand, we've yet to receive any official tracklisting (despite a few circulating on the internet), and there has been no iTunes pre-order for the LP.

Today, Karen Civil gets confirmation from the Young Money president that they are looking for a new release date for Tha Carter V. That's all the information we have at the moment concerning the album delay, but we'll keep you posted when any new information surfaces. Here's all we know about Tha Carter V so far.

louder 10.28.2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

well...

i shouldn't tell you how disappointed i am. :)

Severian 10.29.2014 08:51 PM

Ok so RTJ2 is insane. On another level entirely than anyhing else this year.

Better than their debut by leaps and bounds. I've had it for a week now but I just listened to it today for the first time.

Holy shit, my brothers.

Who cares if Carter is delayed (again) when this shits fresh out.

Severian 10.29.2014 09:10 PM

Zach De La Rocha (I feel like I'm spelling that wrong) is still a talentless non-emcee though. Hearing him without the effects on his mic almost sounds like a long lost Beasties sample, until he starts "rapping" and gets his lame all over the track. But Zach aside, what the fuck man?! This shit is crazy good!

(I miss the Beastie Boys. I'm not sure I've had an opportunity to say that yet but I really miss that band)

Though hearing Zach on an otherwise dope as fuckhardcore rap album ruffles my feathers a bit, the rest of the album is SOLID EPIC M**********NG DOPE-ASS SHIT.

My top 5 hiphop records of the year list changes YET AGAIN, because damn. Who could ignore this beast?

I wasn't even that nuts about the first one. It was really good but I stopped playing it a month after it hit and never went back to it.

This one grabs u by the bitchass balls though. My god!

noisereductions 10.29.2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Ok so RTJ2 is insane. On another level entirely than anyhing else this year.

Better than their debut by leaps and bounds. I've had it for a week now but I just listened to it today for the first time.

Holy shit, my brothers.

Who cares if Carter is delayed (again) when this shits fresh out.

I... actually agree. RTJ2 blew my fucking mind. I don't even know what to think. Up until now Mastermind was my favorite hip hop LP of the year and this just blew it out of the water. It's unreal. It's like... so good that how can it be this good? Fuck.

Severian 10.30.2014 02:27 AM

Quote:

I... actually agree. RTJ2 blew my fucking mind. I don't even know what to think. Up until now Mastermind was my favorite hip hop LP of the year and this just blew it out of the water. It's unreal. It's like... so good that how can it be this good? Fuck.

Hey, just to clarify (forgive me if I'm forgetting something- I've been really forgetful lately) ... Did you ever listen to the new Shabazz Palaces LP from this year, Lese Majesty?

Because when I say RTJ2 is on a completely different level than anything else in hip-hop this year, I'm more or less saying that RTJ2 is somewhere within SPs' orbit. That it's competitive with that album, which is more than I can say for most of what the year has yielded.

But yeah. RTJ2 is instantly up there with Underachievers and Shabazz Palaces as far as vocal hip hop is concerned. I'm am really happy with it. Frankly these records blow Mastermind out of the water as good as that album is.

Severian 10.30.2014 02:35 AM

I also have a and spot for Animal Ambition, the new Jeezy, the new Wiz, and the new Game. I'm goog to have to root through old tangents from this thread in order to remember all the albuns that made it into my constantly changing favorites list this year.

I've got to make an effort not to forget albuns like the new material disc on that Infamous Mobb Deep reissue from earlier in the year, and other early faves like Honest, Pińata, etc.

Really I just want the NEW FUCKING KANYE ALREADY!!!

louder 10.30.2014 03:16 AM

so the new Future tape is harder and better than Honest, wow.

Severian 10.30.2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

so the new Future tape is harder and better than Honest, wow.

Tight, downloading now.

louder 10.30.2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Tight, downloading now.

Throw Away's second half sent shivers down my spine.

"go fuck that nigga, get it over with"..
i feel like every grown man could relate to this song, Future is so mature now.

louder 10.30.2014 02:12 PM

new Rick Ross song off his upcoming album Hood Billionaire, produced by Timbaland: https://soundcloud.com/rickyrozaymmg...e-if-they-knew

dope as hell. The Bawse skated over that beat.

louder 10.30.2014 02:15 PM

not crazy about RTJ2 to be honest. the highs are higher than RTJ1 but the lows are lower. Zach De La Rocha and Travis Barker were unnecessary.

louder 10.31.2014 06:22 AM

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes...-savage-3.html

this is what a Keef mixtape would be like if he decided to stop fucking around and just drop a classic.

Severian 10.31.2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

new Rick Ross song off his upcoming album Hood Billionaire, produced by Timbaland: https://soundcloud.com/rickyrozaymmg...e-if-they-knew

dope as hell. The Bawse skated over that beat.

Wow, I'm surprised he's already hitting us with another LP.

Lotta that's been going on lately, though. I mean: Iggy Azalea's already got a new album, finished and ready to drop. It's only been 7 months since The New Classic dipped, and I think "Fancy" is STILL on the hot 100.

And yeah- Ro$$ (not sure why I always spell his name with dollar signs, but whatever) is had topping another album.
Ought (not rap; Constellation records post-Rocky/math-rocky band who already released one of the year's best indie records) has a new album out....

Oh, and Homeboy Sandman! That ninja pumps shit out like WHAT. Two full length LP's between March and August!! Both really good, btw.

I'm always happy to see 1960's record-output speeds in action again.
Growing up in the '90s and liking artists like Wu-Tang Clan, Nine Inch Nails, Tool (until about '01 at least), and other perennial procrastinators (MBV, Breeders, Modest Mouse, etc, ) who often took so much time between releases that it often felt like they'd broken up was just irritating. I can't help but appreciate it when:

a.) bands make up for that kind of "I'm the new Brian Wilson & my ART speaks through me and it takes years of knob-twisting to perfect.. In other words I am really pretentious, clinically narcissistic, and the polar opposite of punk!" bullshit by spitting out albums at a whiplash inducing pace during a later phase of their career. (As Trent Reznor did during NIN's 2004-2009 period, which yielded the most consistent music of his career)

OR

b.) when new artists show their passion for music making and for their fans by making music and releasing it like it's a job or something (which it is, of course, and if a band isn't making music or touring then they're basically on welfare, and as such they should be required to actively seek work and report to the gov't regularly.

In short, I dig it when the artists I like make music :cool:

Severian 10.31.2014 02:08 PM

I'm not sure if I'm going to be a long term Iggy fan. I haven't listened to her new singles, but I'll bet I know what they sound like.
I was pretty damn impressed with The New Classic when it first hit, and I still think it's a fun listen and a seriously impressive debut.

But I no longer consider it one of the year's finest hip-hop joints. There have been far too many releases that leave "fun" and "impressive" in the dust, crushing expectations and even notions of what hip-hop is/can be, for a fun pop-rap album to be competitive.

noisereductions 10.31.2014 03:44 PM

I didin't hear Iggy has a new album. She's re-releasing New Classic as like "The Re-Classification" or something. But it's a new tracklisting. Some new songs but missing some songs from the OG album. Kinda dumb.

Severian 11.01.2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

I didin't hear Iggy has a new album. She's re-releasing New Classic as like "The Re-Classification" or something. But it's a new tracklisting. Some new songs but missing some songs from the OG album. Kinda dumb.

Oh... Well... Fuck it then. Sounds like an all around dumb idea.
Are you sure it's not a remix album of some kind?

Still, lots of artists are *actually* releasing multiple projects in the same year.

Sorry about the false alarm.

noisereductions 11.01.2014 02:38 PM

Reclassified is the upcoming reissue of The New Classic (2014). It is scheduled for release on 24 November 2014 by Virgin EMI.[124] Set to be released seven months after its parent album, Reclassified features five newly-recorded songs. Azalea announced its re-release in the caption of an Instagram post of the issue's artwork. Reclassified became available for preorder on 24 October 2014 and its first single, "Beg for It", was made available for digital purchase the same day.[125]

1. "We in This Bitch"
4:10
2. "Work"
Kelly Sims Markous Roberts Pebworth Astasio Shave
1st Down The Invisible Men
3:43
3. "Change Your Life" (featuring T.I.)
Kelly Natalie Sims Raja Kumari Nasri Atweh Adam Messinger Lovy Longomba
The Messengers 3:40
4. "Beg for It" (featuring MŘ)
Kelly Charlotte Aitchison
2:58
5. "Black Widow" (featuring Rita Ora)
Tor Erik Hermansen Mikkel Storleer Eriksen Benjamin Levin Katy Perry Sarah Hudson Kelly
Stargate
3:29
6. "Trouble" (featuring Jennifer Hudson)
2:46
7. "Don't Need Y'all"
Turner Jon Mills Shave Pebworth Astasio Kelly
The Invisible Men The Arcade
3:33
8. "Rolex"
Kelly Astasio Pebworth Shave Mckenzie
3:23
9. "Iggy SZN"
Kelly The Invisible Men Darryl Reid Turner
3:20
10. "Fancy" (featuring Charli XCX)
Kelly Aitchison Astasio Pebworth Shave Mckenzie
3:19
11. "Heavy Crown" (featuring Ellie Goulding)
3:52
12. "Bounce"
Mark Orabiyi Oladayo Olatunji Sims Kelly Mark Hadfield Mike Di Scala Jochem George Paap
Reeva & Black
2:47

h8kurdt 11.01.2014 02:49 PM

But...but...Iggy sucks. Seriously, that album was just trash. Curse you guys, usually I agree with your reviews, but Iggy was just awful.

h8kurdt 11.01.2014 03:41 PM

Nothing about the new Dizzee Rascal song?

Nods in approval

louder 11.01.2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
But...but...Iggy sucks. Seriously, that album was just trash. Curse you guys, usually I agree with your reviews, but Iggy was just awful.

i don't care for her either.

more interested in Charli XCX' upcoming album if anything.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 11.01.2014 03:56 PM

Rap sucks this year, last year being possibly the single best year for rap and hip hop in 15 years possibly just raised the bar too high

h8kurdt 11.01.2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Rap sucks this year, last year being possibly the single best year for rap and hip hop in 15 years possibly just raised the bar too high

This.