Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

an evening with viewtiful 03.23.2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

(St. Vincent - S/T)

My girlfriend just bought that, I liked the songs but the production felt a tad bit overdone. Curious to know what your take on it is though

Severian 03.24.2014 09:19 PM

Rob Instigator 03.26.2014 02:52 PM

Got this CD for a fucking DOLLAR from ebay auction, some Lutheran charity had it for auction. a DOLLAR! I have been looking for this for a long time!

an evening with viewtiful 03.26.2014 09:46 PM

Those 4.99/7.99 CD shelves at Barnes and Noble are pretty choice. I had to put a lot up (I also got the Warriors for $4.99 on DVD)

tw2113 03.26.2014 10:12 PM

The first 3 Bangles albums.

Torn Curtain 03.27.2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by an evening with viewtiful
My girlfriend just bought that, I liked the songs but the production felt a tad bit overdone. Curious to know what your take on it is though

I agree, the guitars and drums that are treated to sound "synthetically" can sound a bit forced. I much prefer Strange Mercy's production.

Severian 03.30.2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Talk to me about this one. I've been eyeballing it, but I never seem to just grab it and buy it. Nothing has made it stand out to me, and I really hate boring, generic rap.

It's getting a lot of buzz though. There's a dope little Weezy verse on one track. That much I know. But is this an album for the good kid mAAd city/Yeezus era, or is it another tired Dj Mustard banger record?

noisereductions 03.30.2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
for fucking $3 on EBAY! wow! the back cover has water damage but i dont give a fuck cuz the vinyl is VF/NM! beautiful! such abrasive noise! PE!

<3.

plasticgrrrl 03.30.2014 02:59 PM

i already ordered 3 sonic youth albums and i'll finally have full discography! <3 i'm so proud

an evening with viewtiful 03.30.2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Talk to me about this one. I've been eyeballing it, but I never seem to just grab it and buy it. Nothing has made it stand out to me, and I really hate boring, generic rap.

It's getting a lot of buzz though. There's a dope little Weezy verse on one track. That much I know. But is this an album for the good kid mAAd city/Yeezus era, or is it another tired Dj Mustard banger record?

If this were two years ago, and neither of those albums had come out, this album would be totally uninteresting and probably not really worth listening to.
But with a new bar set for major releases, YG set his aims a bit higher where say... Schoolboy really didn't. While the MC'ing isn't terribly innovative or even that interesting, the album manages to hold a concept very well throughout which makes it a compelling listen. The beats slap, but there's a sonic template that sort of allows the album to move between tracks pretty smoothly.
It's not a general hip-hop masterpiece by any means, but it's definitely gonna be YG's masterpiece. If you like west coast rap, you really can't go wrong with this, just don't expect any real innovation.

Think BAD Kidd MaaD City.

Severian 04.01.2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

If this were two years ago, and neither of those albums had come out, this album would be totally uninteresting and probably not really worth listening to.
But with a new bar set for major releases, YG set his aims a bit higher where say... Schoolboy really didn't. While the MC'ing isn't terribly innovative or even that interesting, the album manages to hold a concept very well throughout which makes it a compelling listen. The beats slap, but there's a sonic template that sort of allows the album to move between tracks pretty smoothly.
It's not a general hip-hop masterpiece by any means, but it's definitely gonna be YG's masterpiece. If you like west coast rap, you really can't go wrong with this, just don't expect any real innovation.

Think BAD Kidd MaaD City.

Ha! I like it. Excellent answer.

Rob Instigator 04.01.2014 08:13 AM

Severian 04.03.2014 11:41 AM

Debut by Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks

Bowery Electric - Beat

And a shit ton more. Yesterday was fruitful indeed.

an evening with viewtiful 04.04.2014 03:57 PM

Vintage vinyl copy in great shape for 9.99 at Half Price Books. Gotta love that place sometimes.

an evening with viewtiful 04.05.2014 07:04 PM

On vinyl. Took a shot in the dark on this one (it was 3.99)

Severian 04.08.2014 10:09 PM

Mortte Jousimo 04.09.2014 05:31 AM

Warpaint-lp.
John lee Hooker: House Of Blues
John lee Hooker: Burnin`
John Lee Hooker: I´m John Lee Hooker
Motörhead: Aftershock
Radiopuhelimet: Oulu on kaupungin nimi
Moore/Gustaffson: Vi ar alla guds slavar
Moore/Zorn: @
Johnny Cash: Out Among the stars
Tom Waits: Round Midnight
Lydia Lunch & Philippe Petit: Taste Our Voodoo

Savage Clone 04.09.2014 10:31 PM

Sealed original of first YaHoWha 13 LP. Pretty excited.

Genteel Death 04.15.2014 07:39 AM

7''

krischanski 04.16.2014 04:27 AM