Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bands that have a good "look"... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23485)

MellySingsDoom 07.16.2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here

Oh yeah! How were they on Tuesday, This Is Not Here?

punkaspoo 07.16.2008 09:42 AM

Turbonegro

Cantankerous 07.16.2008 09:44 AM

honestly, okay, did we really forget

?????

Glice 07.16.2008 11:04 AM

Is it just me that looks at Devo and goes 'WANKERS!'?

MellySingsDoom 07.16.2008 11:21 AM

Cantanky - Like your piccy, which for some reason makes me think of this lot:

Punkaspoo - Yes! to Turbonegro - you've got me singing "I Got Erection" now. :)

sarramkrop 07.16.2008 11:22 AM

MellySingsDoom 07.16.2008 11:29 AM

^^^Who be they, sarram? I was thinking MEV for a second, but I'm sure that's wrong.

sarramkrop 07.16.2008 11:34 AM

You're right.

MellySingsDoom 07.16.2008 11:37 AM

Alright me!

A rather small pic, but here be a 60's pic of AMM during their "The Crypt"-era period:

atsonicpark 07.16.2008 12:26 PM

devo are brilliant.

pbradley 07.16.2008 01:11 PM

atari 2600 07.16.2008 01:37 PM

Talk about nerds....those death metal goons look like off-the-chart wankers.

My comment was that mentioning Polysics without mentioning Devo is a bit culturally myopic, just as is citing Funkadelic without giving props to Sly & The Family Stone.

My answer to the topic question is I.R.S.-era R.E.M. and the aforementioned reason to justify this response is as follows:
With a little help from their artist friends like Jim Herbert and the Reverend Howard Finster, they established their own distinct image. As such, they successfully avoided the preening pitfalls of the MTV eighties hit-making machine.

I feel it is a thoughtful reply that is concise, clear and correct. In other words, it's anathema to most here.
"Harborcoat" from "Left of Reckoning"
(early R.E.M. at Paradise Gardens captured by Jim Herbert's innovative re-filming technique)

sarramkrop 07.16.2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
.....just as is citing Funkadelic without giving props to Sly & The Family Stone.

Yep.

Let's all point out together, though, that both Devo and Polysics can fuck off. Yeah?

atari 2600 07.16.2008 01:52 PM

I still enjoy some Devo every now and then...was particularly nuts about them in junior high.

batreleaser 07.16.2008 02:54 PM

devo is the best. new wave that actually sounded 'new' and exciting and whacky and different, instead of punk for pussies

mangajunky 07.16.2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
devo is the best. new wave that actually sounded 'new' and exciting and whacky and different, instead of punk for pussies

I consider DEVO to be punk, not New Wave.

batreleaser 07.16.2008 04:44 PM

devo, punk? as varied a genre as punk is, they just dont fit, no fucking way.

uhler 07.16.2008 08:58 PM

if devo wasn't funded by a major label and in tv commercials (even if ment as irony) they would be one of the "most punk" bands out there. crass and fugazi still take the cake though.

Cantankerous 07.16.2008 09:02 PM

proof that mbv have an excellent look

alan mcgee called them a wimpy anorak band

anoraks (snorkel parkas) rule

uhler 07.16.2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
proof that mbv have an excellent look

alan mcgee called them a wimpy anorak band

anoraks (snorkel parkas) rule

yes they do rule. i can't wait until winter when i can actually wear one now. florida was too hot to wear one even in the coldest of their winters.

Cantankerous 07.16.2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
yes they do rule. i can't wait until winter when i can actually wear one now. florida was too hot to wear one even in the coldest of their winters.

in the winter i practically never take mine off

coats with furry hoods in general are awesome

new york winters are perfect for these kind of coats, you're gonna love it (if you like winter)

atari 2600 07.16.2008 09:31 PM

obligatory, i suppose...

Cantankerous 07.16.2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600

obligatory, i suppose...

YES.

thurston was rly cute back in the days when his hair was extra long and he wore that coat all the time, like in the providence video

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 12:54 AM

I got mine from Germany last year - it's pretty large, but nice n comfy in the cold months here.

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 12:57 AM

do we all have anoraks?

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 12:59 AM

Looks like it, doesn't it? We should all get together for a SY Gossip group anorak hug in winter - sharing the hoodie love together.

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 01:01 AM

and then a snow war, with teams of course

like you know, building forts of snow and shooting at eachother with BB guns

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 01:07 AM

Yay, that sounds like fun. It never snows properly in England these days, so it'd have to be in your neck of the woods. You'd have to be one of the team leaders of course, getting your team to build a huge fort, with a reward of Yum Yums for doing a good job.

Being a foreigner, I'd be on the other team, where we'd put together a shoddily made snow fort affair (which would then collapse), and then our team would have an argument about it.

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 01:13 AM

we'll do it in the streets of brooklyn

you can be on my team, it won't be the english vs. the other cunts.

i would laze atop a throne made of snow in my anorak and order everyone else about and to fetch me more coffee.
and remember, whoever's getting me my coffee: you earned the privlege, be grateful for it.

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 01:17 AM

"This coffee's not hot enough, Melly! :mad: You know what the punishment is, don't you?"
"Yes, Cantanky" (proceeds to stuff cold snow down own trousers) "Ouuuchhh!!!"
"Yes, well, let that be a lesson to you all. Now, you, yes you, YOU can be my coffee bitch now!"

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 01:20 AM

oh no i would never make YOU get me coffee, dear, much less put snow down your pants! you can be snow queen number 2.

i can't think of who would make an obedient coffee bitch though.

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 01:22 AM

Here's Melly being Cantanky's deputy queen:

I'd vote for EmmaH - her long fingers could whip up a coffee in no time, and she could supply you with you weed needs too.

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 01:24 AM

no, i would tell her to run along and play and just do her best. i can't act like a cunt to certain people.

i've got it.

porky, you had better be ready when the time comes. i like exactly two shots of whiskey in each cup of coffee, with hot milk and lots and lots of sugar please.

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 01:33 AM

Porky could make you coffee, then go back to do Warhol-type action paintings to go in your snow palace.

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 01:39 AM

i don't think it would work in reality though

i like the idea of bossing people around, i just can't bring myself to do it for real because i would feel like a cunt. i'd be out there with the rest of you lot with a BB gun and a flask.

if there was a real sonic youth snowball war staged, that would be so epic.

MellySingsDoom 07.17.2008 01:54 AM

Yeah, imagine, a mass SY snowball bundle in somewhere like Central Park. All the boardies pelting each other senseless, getting knackered, then all retiring to some cool bars to chat, hang out and get hammered on booze.

Snowball fights remind me loads of childhood, and always makes me fondly reminisce about them.

uhler 07.17.2008 02:02 AM

Quote:

we'll do it in the streets of brooklyn

you can be on my team, it won't be the english vs. the other cunts.

i would laze atop a throne made of snow in my anorak and order everyone else about and to fetch me more coffee.
and remember, whoever's getting me my coffee: you earned the privlege, be grateful for it.

if you do it in brooklyn then i will be very grateful to fetch you coffee.

Cantankerous 07.17.2008 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhler
if you do it in brooklyn then i will be very grateful to fetch you coffee.

i'll just bring my flask and my travel mug

Death & the Maiden 07.17.2008 02:34 AM

The Birthday Party

Siouxsie & the Banshees

Echo & the Bunnymen

pbradley 07.17.2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

do we all have anoraks?

I swear to god I looked almost exactly like that 3 years ago except my army jacket didn't have fur.

I should upload my college ID picture.